Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #1
seth_man

Drives: 08 Liftback
Big Brake Kit Discovery

well i had some extra time at the shop and decided to try something out just for s&g's. i discovered that the AEM big brake kit for civics BOLTS ON to the yaris. NO Cutting, Drilling, Cursing or Modifying to bolt them on. 12" rotors and they fit under my 16" wheels. i did have to clearance the front top of my caliper .010" or so to have a little clearance for my stick on wheel weights.

What you will need:

1. 7mm Spacer to go between Stock Yaris caliper bracket and caliper extension bracket that comes with the brake kit

2. Longer Bolts I used 12mmx1.25mmx50mm bolts instead of the stock caliper bracket bolts

3. Nothing else

seth_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
wildmongoose26

Drives: 09 5dr Yaris
What all is included in said kit? The bracket for the caliper and the rotor and thats it?

Brent
wildmongoose26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
seth_man

yeah, rotor, bracket, a few bolts
Old 04-22-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
So, how much better is the braking with a bigger rotor and stock caliper?
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #5
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ good question. You have the same caliper/pad operating on a rotor that is now spinning faster. Braking might be worse, not better. It will definitely be hotter.

Overall though, very neat idea.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:48 PM   #6
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
very nice...... this seems like a less expensive way to get a bigger brake look on aftermarket rims....

if only have a rear disk kit with less work....
Old 04-23-2011, 12:38 AM   #7
krusty

Drives: 2010 Yaris ce
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
^ good question. You have the same caliper/pad operating on a rotor that is now spinning faster. Braking might be worse, not better. It will definitely be hotter.

How would the rotor be turning faster with a bigger diameter rotor?
krusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 02:04 AM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
If you think about it, at the perimeter, a larger diameter "circle" has to travel faster to achieve one revolution as a smaller circle. The outside of a larger rotor is where the pad contacts it. I'm armchair discussing here, but I do know the friction would be greater to slow the velocity, causing more heat.

And all of that might not make a huge difference. Let's hear the OP's review!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:44 AM   #9
Spahrticus

Drives: ///M3, Yaris
I just see stock pads being chewed up...
Spahrticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:45 AM   #10
seth_man

Quote:

well first track day will be next sunday so i will find out. feels pretty good driving around town though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spahrticus View Post
I just see stock pads being chewed up...
some hawk pads are on the way
Old 04-23-2011, 08:11 AM   #11
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
If you think about it, at the perimeter, a larger diameter "circle" has to travel faster to achieve one revolution as a smaller circle. The outside of a larger rotor is where the pad contacts it. I'm armchair discussing here, but I do know the friction would be greater to slow the velocity, causing more heat.

That's true, but it's my understanding that the main advantage of larger rotors is to have more mass and surface area to dissipate heat from braking, so the temperature increase you mentioned may be canceled out.... food for thought! (and google searches )

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 09:58 AM   #12
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
You will still have the same angular velocity (rpms), but the tangential velocity at the outer diameter IS bigger (faster). However, you need to look at the main benefit of this system. The larger diameter of the rotor, and the pad being further away from the center INCREASES the torque the brakes can apply. Torque equals F X D (force times distance). So you should notice an improvement. As far as heat, I don't see that as a problem. Sure, aftermarket pads will help, but the stocks should work for now (unless you track the car).
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:18 AM   #13
Kongo-Otto

Drives: '09 Yaris & '10 Auris
Centering the disc should be done by the hub not by bolts. And of course i would never modifiy a brake caliper this way.

Atleast in Europe that kind of engineering is strictly forbidden.
Kongo-Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #14
Lil Abner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kongo-Otto View Post
Centering the disc should be done by the hub not by bolts.
That's a good point. I didn't see that when I first looked. Some rings to center the rotor might be a smart thing to do.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
cfeng

Drives: Yaris 2010 Liftback
Quote:

There are considerations necessary for matching a brake pad to a rotor. Usually, the inner diameter of the surface that the pad touches is 58% of the outer diameter, in order to achieve greatest braking torque.
cfeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:24 PM   #16
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Consided a caliper brake on a bicycle.
You need relatively little caliper pressure on the rim as compared to the pressure you would need if it was close to the hub.
It's just basic physics.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:06 PM   #17
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:

I think you might be confused on this one. The larger the rotor the less it rotates per mile, the smaller the more it rotates per mile. Think of tire sizes. A 205/40/17 has a diameter of 23.46" & rotates 859.80 per mile. A 205/50/17 has a diameter 25.07" & rotates 804.44 per mile. as you can see the taller tire has less revolutions. Here is a link: http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/TireCalculator.html
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:09 PM   #18
Lil Abner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
I think you might be confused on this one. The larger the rotor the less it rotates per mile, the smaller the more it rotates per mile. Think of tire sizes. A 205/40/17 has a diameter of 23.46" & rotates 859.80 per mile. A 205/50/17 has a diameter 25.07" & rotates 804.44 per mile. as you can see the taller tire has less revolutions. Here is a link: http://www.gtsparkplugs.com/TireCalculator.html
Actually, no. You are correct about the tires rotating different per mile depending on the diameter. But that doesn't apply to the rotors. The rotors will ALWAYS rotate at the same revolutions per mile as the tires!!! This is because the rotors are attached to the wheels. The wheels to the ground.