Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-11-2009, 12:07 PM   #1
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
long wide horizontal scratch

I think I can sand feather, paint, clear, spray blend clear, and then sub compound and swirl, micro, buff. Been I long time and the clearcoats are diferent I am concerned that the aftermarket clear won't buff inter the OEM clear leving a line.

Last edited by regal; 06-11-2009 at 12:24 PM.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:34 PM   #2
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Get a bottle of touch up paint. A medical suringe. And inject a thin line of paint into the scratch. Then when it dries and hardens wet sand it till its blended evenly with the rest of the paint. Polish and wax it u wont be able to tell there was a scratch there. Dont use the crappy brush touch ups that make things look more obviouse and worse. I wouldnt mess with clearcoat. Just fill in the scratch so its not visible.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
regal

I drove her 1200 miles the last 2 days. I've finally bonded with her and have got the electric steering/DBW down pat. The last 600 miles had no incidents.

Now back to the original question? Used to be you could spot repair down to metal and blend the clearcoat with the OEM, is that still possible?
Old 06-11-2009, 12:39 PM   #4
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Get a bottle of touch up paint. A medical suringe. And inject a thin line of paint into the scratch. Then when it dries and hardens wet sand it till its blended evenly with the rest of the paint. Polish and wax it u wont be able to tell there was a scratch there. Dont use the crappy brush touch ups that make things look more obviouse and worse. I wouldnt mess with clearcoat. Just fill in the scratch so its not visible.

This "scratch is much too wide, it needs spot or long spot repair. I used to spot repair for a living it was very doeble with the first generation clearcoats. ecpecially white.
Old 06-12-2009, 12:16 AM   #5
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
sorry lol but you've gotta have the worst vehicle luck of anyone on here

So far on my 10 month old it has a scrape,ding,or gouge in every panel.....last one was from a dumb girl and a Ford.......she seemed to think my car was a door stop fro her truck,then she scraped the side of my car with a crib,then denied doing it.........I took down her liscense since she would not give me her insurance.........

Called 1800litter1 and reported her tosing a pop can out the window..........automatic $1000 fine in Washington,cannot fight it either........guess she should of given me her insurance info.......I know my Karma may suffer for doing it to her but she deserved it,lucky I did not beat her butt down,honestly I felt like it,her paint was even embedded intot he side of car,and she still denied doing it.........Grrrrrrr.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #6
regal

I'm goig to buy the paint and fix it professionally, I used to do this stuf for a living, just unsure about this new ultrthin factory clearcoat
Old 06-13-2009, 06:52 AM   #7
regal

went to the paint jobber and bought the PPG basecoat this new high dollar 2K clearcoat in a can, sand paper, glaze, and etch primer to the tune of $140. Also ordered a porter random orbital buffer for $350. So I'll repair profesionally for $140, The porter doesn't count 'cause I'll be using it to polish/buff for years. God I am so glad I bought a white car, if it bought meterite metallic like I secretely wanted I'de be looking at complete panel repair which would never match or be as good as OEM and cost $1500. Also glad I used to be a body repair man, now I'm just stupid paint engineer. all people in the paint business buy white cars, its an old joke.

Bzinnn, thanks for boosting my beaten ego. I still find the electric steering quirky the ratio is just too quick, I wonder if you can disable it and run manual steeirig. At 75 mph you can literallly make 3 lane changed in 2 seconds a tap on the wheel.

Would you guys be interested in a DIY with pictures thread?
Old 06-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #8
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
You got ripped off if you bought a random orbital for $350. There isn't a random orbital in the world worth that kind of money!!!! The best RO I have used was a $175 unit. There is no magic to the orbital polisher aside from speed/torque. What model did you buy?
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 02:43 AM   #9
wildmongoose26

Drives: 09 5dr Yaris
If he bought a FLEX then yeah those are expensive.
The porter cable DA doesnt have much torque. But the FLEX is damn near impossible to stop.
wildmongoose26 is offline   Reply With Quote