Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-02-2009, 04:39 AM   #1
icantfeelmyface

Drives: 2008 Sedan
Pressure Washer

Im thinking about getting one and using it on the yaris. Is it advisable or will it mess up my paint?
icantfeelmyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:01 AM   #2
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I just got a Kärcher 1750 PSI pressure washer (model K 3.47 M, I think) for Christmas and just washed my Yaris off this evening using the DirtBlaster™ spray wand which is suppose to increase the water pressure by 50%. As it was getting dark when I did it, I can't tell how well it did although it seems to have done a good job. I went out with an LED flashlight to see if the paint was any worse for wear, and it looks fine. It is no harder than any car wash pressure washer that many of us use.

I also used it on my Jeep, and the results were more noticible but it was also considerably dirtier than the Yaris!

So, as far as I can tell, there is no problem in using a home pressure washer on your Yaris. But be forewarned that I did blast off the sealant off some wooden steps on our back porch with it! But I was much closer to them when I was blasting the steps than I was to my Yaris when I was using it on it.

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I have a high speed pressure washer purchased for decks, concrete etc. If I were washing a beater dirt truck or off road vehicle it would come in handy. For the personal car, to effectively use it and not cause damage (water in places forced there by the pressure) it has to be held to far away. A regular hose with a quality nozzle IMO is what is called for. That being said check out web sites featuring car care products and methods and see if any of the top detailers recommend pressure washing prior to a good polish and wax. If you want quick go for it, getting close enough to take the dirt and stains off will harm the paint eventually. One of the reasons they recommend not holding it to close to concrete and to keep it moving at all times.

I just thought of it.....I had a set of tires that had the brown dirt stain that we are all familiar with embeded in the rubber. Thought what the hell lets try the power washer....to get the stain out the tip had to be held so close that I cut the sidewalls. Do that once and I swear you won't use a power washer on your car.

Best of luck.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
Depending on your nozzle and how close you have the nozzle to the paint is the question really. You should have no problem as long as you don't hold it in one spot at a close range while spraying. Been using mine since day one and on my Wrangler (RIP with the memory) with no problems. Taking a little extra care in how I do it with the Yaris since we do have very thin paint.
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
I agree. Don't use it too close. I once took off some pen striping on an 88 Toyota truck with a power washer from 3 inches away. Now I just use a hose bucket and sponge. The ##%&! magnesium cloride doesn't come off with rinsing alone.

Side note to KCALB SIRAY: John Elways name has now been thrown in to the ring for the head coach replacement for the Denver Broncos.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemelek View Post
Side note to KCALB SIRAY: John Elways name has now been thrown in to the ring for the head coach replacement for the Denver Broncos.
Elway is, was and always will be a grade A Prima-Donna prick. Don't know if many remember this or not but he was drafted by the Baltimore Colts but clearly stated he would refuse to play for them so they traded him. Granted the Colts sucked at the time, but what a whiny little pansy ass he was about the whole thing.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:33 AM   #7
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
STAY AWAY From Painted Plastics!! A pressure washer WILL strip paint from bumpers. If it catches a paint chip it will get under the paint and you will have a mess.

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Elway is, was and always will be a grade A Prima-Donna prick. Don't know if many remember this or not but he was drafted by the Baltimore Colts but clearly stated he would refuse to play for them so they traded him. Granted the Colts sucked at the time, but what a whiny little pansy ass he was about the whole thing.
Not that I am here to defend John Elway but I am not sure many remember that he was also a highly touted baseball prospect, and was drafted out of high school by the Kansas City Royals. He also starred in baseball at Stanford, was drafted by both the Baltimore Colts and the New York Yankees in 1983. Not many athletes had the choices he had and he took advantage of that. The days for loyalty and fair play between the owners and players are gone. After the Lambert hit stated by KCALB SIRAY John Elway may have wished he were a Yankee instead.

Once in the late 80’s John was involved in a celebrity slalom ski race at Winter Park Colorado. He fell and ended up 10 yards from me. I said John you may be smarter, faster, stronger, better looking, richer, and more athletic than me but you certainly aren’t a better skier. He didn’t say a word but gave me a dirty look as he was trying to put his skis back on. Later that year Widel blew out his ACL while skiing and the Broncos were banned from skiing in the off season. I am still skiing and this year Elway had a knee replaced.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #9
jeremyshay

Drives: 07 Meteorite Metalic Liftback
Send a message via AIM to jeremyshay
use a lower pressure nozzle, dont get TOO close. and DO NOT hold it on one spot... single stage paint doesnt like most things touching it lol
jeremyshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 03:34 AM   #10
808_Yaris
Where is Oahu?

Drives: 5-door meteorite metallic
i wouldn't recommend using a pressure washer at all for the yaris. wash the
car the old fashion way, or i heard of a waterless carwash too.
808_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:02 AM   #11
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
STAY AWAY From Painted Plastics!! A pressure washer WILL strip paint from bumpers. If it catches a paint chip it will get under the paint and you will have a mess.

I've been washing my yaris with a pressure washer for close to 4 months now, no problems.
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:13 AM   #12
808_Yaris
Where is Oahu?

do you have the higher power pressure washer? the higher power ones are really strong!! lol
Old 01-14-2009, 04:32 AM   #13
ZING

Drives: Yaris '09,GTi '09, BMW 3.30ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808_Yaris View Post
do you have the higher power pressure washer? the higher power ones are really strong!! lol

I don't own it, but the gas station where they wash cars here, they use them. Not sure if it's HIGH power pressure or just power pressure washer hehe.
ZING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #14
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
not recomanded to use pressure washers on car paint ever,the slightest crack in the paint will catch the water and you can blow off big chunks of paint even from 5 feet away.my buddy used my local carwash before a show and his bumper is now missing about a 4x6 section of paint....most likely a chip and the pressure jsut blew it all off......he was not happy and the car wash is not paying to fix.just use car wash soap and a bucket and a hose with spray nozel.......
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:25 AM   #15
808_Yaris
Where is Oahu?

sooo..don't use a pressure washer :) do it at your own risk.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #16
NHYarisFan

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan Flint Mica
Hi Everyone i have been washing my Yaris with a 1750 psi home owner special Pressure washer and i have had great luck so far. I use the wide spray mode not as powerful it seems. Also great for the bugs!
NHYarisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 12:41 AM   #17
PHXDEMON

Drives: 2007 Red Liftback
use a low pressure nozzle and you should be fine.
PHXDEMON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #18
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
With a low pressure nozzle you might as well just get a fireman nozzle you can get at any auto parts store which is much cheaper. And then you can turn it from high pressure to sprinkler mode when you go to rinse off the car soap.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote