Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Tommygunn

Drives: Yaris TDI D-4D
What is the UK equivalent of an Italian Yaris badged 'D4D '03'?

I have an Italian bought 2002/3 Yaris which I am in the process of getting insured, however, I am having one problem in that I cannot locate my exact model on the insurance companys' website drop down menus.
The exact specs of my Yaris are as follows:
Late 2002 Japanese manufacture, 1364cc turbo diesel, manual gearbox, 5 door.

The badge on the rear of the car reads 'Yaris D4D '03', problem is I cannot find a match on the website menus as they are all listed as CDX / GLS / GS D4D.

Does anyone know what the UK equivalent is?

Tom.
Tommygunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Might be easier to give Toyota a call and give them your VIN to make sure.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
Tommygunn

I spoke to Toyota UK and they could not help but I've emailed the UK, Italy and the main HQ to try my luck.

Tom.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:23 PM   #4
Tommygunn

I phoned four Lister's Toyota garages today and three out of the four said it was a GLS i.e. alloys, electric front windows, solid roof, 1.4L manual diesel and 5 doors. The other garage said a TR, or something, but I think he may have misunderstood the year.

However, now I'm hitting a brick wall with the insurance companies. I have to go through my patter that it is an import etc and they are fine that it is a left hand drive, an EU import UK spec but what they get hung up on is that my badge says D4D '03 and not GLS D4D, or however it should look.

They simply don't have D4D '03 in their listings, it's the usual red tape nonsence.

How can I surmount this problem?

Apart from the badge will there be any other non matching features or code numbers that could distinguish my Italian D4D '03 from a UK GLS D4D?

Tom.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
pjon

Drives: Yaris Icon+ 1.33 vvti
Tom, could you just remove the D4D 03 and replace it with a GLS and D4D badge from this U.K ebay seller? http://stores.ebay.co.uk/OPELISE-COM...-OE-Car-Badges
Scroll down to Toyota badges.
I know it's not strictly the correct thing to do but might save you all sorts of hassle. Possibly until the unlikely event of an insurance claim!
Or de-badge it except for Toyota, Yaris and the Toyota logo? Then declare it as a D4D GLS. If three Listers dealerships identify it as a GLS then I doubt the insurance company would argue with that? Do they have the GLS listed?
pjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
Tommygunn

I could re-badge/declare it as a GLS but what happens when I wipe out a school bus? To what level do they investigate the vehicle?

I don't want to commit fraud and I want to be honest and up front, however, I don't want to be taken for a ride and charged 50-100% more for my policy.

One guy on Moneysavingexpert said this:
"If your sure its a GLS or Sol, declare it as a LHD grey import GLS or Sol. That is correct to the best of your knowledge therefore as good as the law requires."

Opinions?

Tom.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Tommygunn

Does anybody know what a 'GL15' trim level is? Toyodiy.com says that is what my vehicle has when I put my VIN number in.

Tom.