Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-21-2009, 06:57 AM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Bronsin Drives A Smart Car

Saw and drove the SmartCar yesterday. I like the car because it is SMALL and has a one liter engine which is the direction I think we need to be going in. The car was at a VERY upscale Mercedes dealer. Gosh there was NO ONE there! HAd the whole place to myself. They had a VERY expensive place all for the Smart in the showroom. It was deserted. They had a stripped down frame to show you the "safe" construction. What a mistake! It was a piece of TIN! They had the wimpy steel thin as tissue paper beams painted red and blue to supposedly denote the "safety cage". Who are they trying to kid here? I guess IQs have dropped sharply nowadays. Get this one of the safety features they touted was the occupants sit up high so as to avoid monster SUV bumpers intruding on the passanger compartment!
Did you know the engine was made by Mitsubishi? It doesnt get as good fuel economy as the one made in Germany. (which only Euros get) This car supposedly made by Diamler is actually made in FRANCE by a company Diamler bought.
AC is not standard even on the mid grade model. I would say the average price on the stickers I saw was $17-18K. Almost everything including the colors other than red white and black is an option.
The car was nice to drive very sporty. A little slow though much slower than the ECHO/Yaris. I like the smallness! It seemed well put together. Although the front "hood" is like a removable plastic panel not on hinges that looks like it would get non functional pretty quick!
Dont like the price though. Especially with the mileage no better than the Yaris. The Yaris has room for four and a lot more practical space to put stuff in. I didnt see much evidence that the cars were flying out the door. I cant figger out why you would spend more money for a car a lot less versitile than the Yaris and more $$$$ too. I wish Toyotas would start getting SMALLER rather than BIGGER!
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
remember you need to use premium gas too, that's gotta get old quick.. If only they had the sense to bring in the diesel version...

BTW I'm made in France, nothing wrong with that, I'm not rusting or falling apart yet

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
businezguy

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Yeah the Smart Car basically has a higher sticker price then a comparable Toyota Yaris. The rub is, it really only gets better gas milage then the Yaris in city driving (which is what the car is designed for). On the highway it might get 1 MPG more then the Yaris at best. You factor in the cost for premium gas and the car is actually more costly to run then the Yaris!

We'll have to see what the Scion IQ will offer consumers. I'm sure it will be a more affordable option then the Smart Car, and a much better built car. We also need to see what the Ford Fiesta will offer. For the record, had I been able to wait, I would have seriously considered a 2010 Ford Focus or Fiesta. I fully expect those cars to be just as, or even more reliable then a comparable Toyota.

It's very simple, Ford if fighting for survival so they simply have no choice. In addition, they actually have about the best engineering of a car manufacturer (including Toyota), they just had some idiots in their business unit who cut corners ala Firestone tires that would go flat and flip the Ford Explorer.
businezguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
BTW I'm made in France, nothing wrong with that, I'm not rusting or falling apart yet
I dunno, Thomas - the head-liner seems to be getting thin...
(I only wish my Made-In-America version wasn't doing the same thing)
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
aaah Steve, just a bit of a wax and polish and it'll look OEM

Talking of Smarts, I saw a heck of a lot of them on my trip to Europe recently, and they can handle 80MPH on the highway pretty well. Then again I am sure those were diesels... Saw a good amount of iQs too, they are sensibly larger, but in a good way... awesome lil car!

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 06-21-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
guzziknight

Drives: 2008 Yaris S
The only real advantage to the Smart that I can see is if you live in a big city like NY, where traffic's a real nightmare, and parking is difficult. The Smart's the closest thing to a motorcycle you can get, without actually getting a motorcycle. I've seen pics of Smarts parked head in, between cars that are parallel parked. That's what it's good for. The only other neat thing, it's very unique and will stand out.

In every other way, the Yaris, and several other sub compacts, will beat it out for practicality, cost, and price.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:16 PM   #7
RHDVIPbB
Right beside you, wave

Drives: 08 PBM Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Don't feel bad. The canadian models do the same thing.

The Smart has its place in Europe and I think its advantages in the US is in the big cities. Although I have seen the aftermath of a local one in a crash and the driver (who was around 65 years old) walked away with no harm. It was involved with a small pickup and the car crumpled like it was designed to.
I think the IQ will do a little bit better do to its slightly larger size.

2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan. Pacific Blue Mica. Custom vinyl eyebrows, color matched interior trim pieces, Vios lip spoiler, 17" Maas rims

2010 Scion xB 7.0 Release Series. 1535 of 2000. Murasaki. Stock with TRD springs.
RHDVIPbB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzziknight View Post
The only real advantage to the Smart that I can see is if you live in a big city like NY, where traffic's a real nightmare, and parking is difficult. The Smart's the closest thing to a motorcycle you can get, without actually getting a motorcycle. I've seen pics of Smarts parked head in, between cars that are parallel parked. That's what it's good for. The only other neat thing, it's very unique and will stand out.

In every other way, the Yaris, and several other sub compacts, will beat it out for practicality, cost, and price.
yeah, this is a pretty cool advantage

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 06-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #9
kuyachris84

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback Black
check this thread out... i want this! lol

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showpost.php?p=339009&postcount=1
kuyachris84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Is the IQ really coming here? I called three dealers and two of them never heard of it. The one who knew what it was said they had no word it was being imported. I like the small size car and would probably get one if it did.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 03:59 PM   #11
SailDesign

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuyachris84 View Post
Why, oh why, would you really want a Smart with the Sims logo on the side?
SailDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #12
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 04:21 PM   #13
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
now this is cool for a city-car:
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:06 PM   #14
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
Just wait. Hollywood will have a few of the smart cars that were converted into limos....

I am surprised that they haven't already made the Prius into a limo as well.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #15
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
What's the green car on the right side of the picture etimago posted?
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #16
SIPNGAS
I LOVE my Yaris!

Drives: 2007 Polar White LB
Send a message via MSN to SIPNGAS Send a message via Yahoo to SIPNGAS
I'm guessing Smart doesn't do well in winter snow. There are a few here in Kenosha and I didn't see one of them on the roads unless they were completely clear.

Have you guys seen or read about the compressed air cars coming in 2010? It's pretty interesting, but has a ways to go, yet before practical... http://www.mdi.lu/english/

Lisa
aka SIPNGAS
SIPNGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #17
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
i had a german friend who told me the smart doesn't feel stable at highway speeds... other than that a great car. I almost bought one... Only reason I went with the yaris was cause I do a lot of highway miles... and thought the yaris would best suit those needs.

Honestly, I think i'd feel safer in a smart than in my 08 HB.... My 08 doesn't have the side airbags which means i'm fucked in a side collision. Crap, I've hit my head against that clothes hanger/handle bar thingy by my head just from hit bumps/potholes. THING HURTS LIKE A BITCH.... Can't imagine actually hitting my head hard on it... I've thought hard about removing that worthless piece because of it... Haven't hit my head on it for a few months now... but still... That SHOULD NOT HAPPEN unless I get in a wreck.

Smart's safe cage is supposed to be made of higher quality metal... so thickness isn't the only thing that matters.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #18
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
I've had a tough time talking myself out of buying one of these little smarts-they are fun to drive. But, I spend a lot of time on open roads and freeways where they are out of their element. I keep telling myself-they are not built by the Japanese and lack the quality I've come to expect from my Yaris. I read the main smart forums daily to learn of ownership experience and it is clear that problems crop up both minor and major ones. Having a lack of dealerships to compete leaves very few options for warranty work and some of these "Mercedes" dealerships could care less about fixing your car right or spending the time to make it right. I'll stick to test drives for now and when I can get a used one for under 7K if it's still running I'll probably do it.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote