Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
Yaris08

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
Sedan Radio Question

I've got a couple questions about upgrading my 08 sedan's stock radio. Are their any specs available for the current radio. I know almost any new head unit will be better, but just curious as I look at specs. I tried search here and google w/o luck.

Also, I've been using Crutchfield so far for looking at radios by inputting my Yaris info and it tells me what is ok to use, but am I really limited to the models they list? I ordered the center bezel already from Parts.com (saw it in a few other posts) and know I will need the metra filler kit and the wiring harness, so as far as I suspect I should be able to use anything.

BTW - I used the DIY manual to change out the rear 6x9s and that thing was guide made it very easy to do!
Yaris08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:33 AM   #2
click.mine
Steve88

Drives: Polar White 07 Sedan (S)
well there really are no specs, though I'm no expert. You basically can go about getting a single-din or a double din which is twice the size of single-din for your car.

Just make sure the depth of the stereo fits your dash, that shouldn't be a problem since Crutchfield tells you that if you specify your car and its details.

I've been thinking about installing the new Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT for my system. it's cd/dvd/bluetooth/navigation/ipod/etc.... all in one system and you can get it on ebay for like 550$ or so.

Remember to ask around and don't soley rely on one's quotes.hope that helps
Old 05-19-2009, 09:32 AM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
OEM radio is 17wRMS x4.

your car should have came with a user manual of the radio, and it has the spec of it.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 AM   #4
Yaris08

Thanks for the input guys. I have the car manual, but will have to look to see if I also got a radio manual.

I already pulled the trigger though and ordered through Crutchfield. I picked the Panasonic CQ-RX400U. I like how it's coming from MD, even with the free shipping it will only take 2 days. I've never installed a radio before, but after reading this site and seeing the diagrams with the Crutchfield order I'm confident it should go very easily.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Whatever you do DO NOT buy the install cards from Crutchfield! Those are such a rip off! The shop that you use them at, never sees the full amount on the card. Besides, it doesn't take that long to install a source unit anyway.
Old 05-19-2009, 11:12 AM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
18wRMS. i'd stick with the oem deck, unless you are installing it wth an amp.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:00 PM   #7
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Whatever you do DO NOT buy the install cards from Crutchfield! Those are such a rip off! The shop that you use them at, never sees the full amount on the card. Besides, it doesn't take that long to install a source unit anyway.
Buy? No. But the wiring-diagram they included for free with my order (or did I luck out and buy during a sale?) really made it easy to wire up the harness-adapter for my stereo and CB, personally.

Still wish I had some shrink-wrap, but clear-vinyl tight wound works just as well for now.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #8
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
The wiring guides are money.

Those install cards though are another story...
Old 05-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
Yaris08

I didn't pay for anything other than the radio, it came with the wiring guide and a mastersheet. Everything was delivered yesterday afternoon, the bezel and the radio. Couldn't have timed it any better if I actually tried. Talk about a real nice smooth install. I was able to get it done in about an hour and a half.

I can't believe how much crisper and better sounding it is. Makes me wish I did this when I first got it!
Old 05-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
sf180th
Back in USA in days!

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to sf180th
I replaced mine yesterday and it sounds so much better!! Put in a Pioneer AVH-P4100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0475.JPG (43.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 100_0480.JPG (45.7 KB, 96 views)
Kazera KZ-V Silver Rims, with 215-35-18 Kumho ESCTA ASX, TRD Springs, TRD Sway Bar, Fujita CAI, Blitz R-Vit i-Color, Blitz Throttle Controller, Megan Header, 2.25 Stainless Cat back Exhuast, 50 Series Flowmaster muffler, 6000k HID.
sf180th is offline   Reply With Quote