Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #91
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
That's awesome Herb. Although, I'm not sure how I would feel about the louder exhaust reading (I do want my exhaust louder tho, lol). I wonder how different my system (just a JVC HU and a Type R sub) will sound compared to yours. hehehe.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:03 PM   #92
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Smile

Hey Herb,

Maybe it's a guitar effect?

Or the meter it's bad?

It's true... you can hear/feel the difference, but it could be just another level/frequency of resonance inside the car that resonates different from the outside noise.

You have taken care of some of the resonance of the sheet metal panels of your car by applying Mat and Ensolite, now it's like a big speaker to the inside, what you may need now it's a "Noise Barrier" AKA Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV).

Send me that meter and I'll give it a try in my car.

D.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:38 AM   #93
Herbicidal
Just a Herbicidal maniac.

Drives: 2008 Yaris S Sedan Flint Mica
Quote:
Originally Posted by centrysis View Post
I'd say its the meter. I've followed your work. I only put mat down on the back of my HB, and it was an improvement. Some of those meters aren't that reliable. Your ears are right. It is quieter.
Thanks man. I decided I'm not going to waste a lot of thought processes on it. I'm VERY HAPPY with everything, so to heck with the reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
That's awesome Herb. Although, I'm not sure how I would feel about the louder exhaust reading (I do want my exhaust louder tho, lol). I wonder how different my system (just a JVC HU and a Type R sub) will sound compared to yours. hehehe.
We need to meet up again soon. I've never heard your system, it would be fun to do a comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derickveliz2 View Post
Hey Herb,
Maybe it's a guitar effect?
Or the meter it's bad?
It's true... you can hear/feel the difference, but it could be just another level/frequency of resonance inside the car that resonates different from the outside noise.
You have taken care of some of the resonance of the sheet metal panels of your car by applying Mat and Ensolite, now it's like a big speaker to the inside, what you may need now it's a "Noise Barrier" AKA Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV).
Send me that meter and I'll give it a try in my car.
D.
I'm thinking your "Noise Barrier" suggestion is probably hitting the nail on head along with another level/frequency inside the car. Weird. Again, I'm not going to worry about it! If you really want to try the meter on your project, send me a PM with your mailing address info (home or work) and I'll send it to you. Just send it back when you're done.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Herbicidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:27 PM   #94
derickveliz2

Herb, take a look at this, you are not alone!...

LINK

D.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #95
Herbicidal

Quote:
Herb, take a look at this, you are not alone!...

LINK

D.
Thanks! I read through most, not all of the posts, and I feel better! So it's not just me! I got your PM (I was gone camping the last several days), do you still want me to send you my little digital meter based upon that link? Either way, it doesn't matter to me.
2008 Toyota Yaris (Vios) 'S' sedan, Flint Mica, dropped on TRD springs, TRD anti-sway bar. Tinted rear windows. Lenso Samurai SC02 hyper black 17" x 7" rims, wrapped in 205x40x17 Federal ss595's. Color matched eyelids. Vios badge. Body color trunk trim (was chrome). Lamin-X tint on rear tails. Custom center exit exhaust. Tanabe front strut tower brace.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #96
derickveliz2

Yeah, lets give it a try...
Old 06-22-2010, 09:32 PM   #97
Herbicidal

I've got the perfect box. I'll wrap it up and try to stop by the Post Office tomorrow on my way home from work.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:28 PM   #98
gates_2

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 2dr HB
As part of my sound deadening project, I'm looking to add some CLD tiles to the roof..Anyone have tips/experience removing the roof liner? I'm a little nervous, as it seems more delicate than lifting up the carpet/trim pieces!
gates_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:47 PM   #99
Herbicidal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gates_2 View Post
As part of my sound deadening project, I'm looking to add some CLD tiles to the roof..Anyone have tips/experience removing the roof liner? I'm a little nervous, as it seems more delicate than lifting up the carpet/trim pieces!
I believe that SQComp has done his headliner. He has a HUGE thread going on in this same forum section. I don't have the exact page, but I thought he did it about 2 months ago? I'm thinking about doing my roof too, but for now, I'm just enjoying my car!
Old 06-23-2010, 01:06 PM   #100
derickveliz2

Look in here

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ound+deadening

it's big and lots of information.

I'm going to apply at least 6 CLD tiles to the roof too. SOON!

I will post it here:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26150

Old 06-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #101
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
SQcomp had a big hassle with his headliner because of the side curtain airbags & sensors in the way. If you have an older modle (I think pre-2010, maybe pre-2009) you shouldn't have the curtain airbags unless you bought a special package or upgrade.

If you don't have the curtain bags, just go slowly, if you do have them, you may think hard about going to a stereo shop and having them install the CLD's for you... you'll pay a ton for labor charges i'm sure, but if they mess up they have to cover it.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:10 AM   #102
Herbicidal

Quote:

Yeah, lets give it a try...
The package is on it's way! The Post Office estimated 2-3 days for delivery.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #103
Herbicidal

I finally mounted the grill cover to the subwoofer enclosure. Some people may not care for it, but it amuses me to no end!

This is the final postion of the subwoofer in the trunk, still plenty of space. I never used the pass-through for anything, so blocking it with the sub is no biggie:
Old 06-28-2010, 02:07 PM   #104
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
personally, i love that sub grill cover.

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 11:33 AM   #105
Herbicidal

Update: after nearly 3 months since I completed this project, everything is still working flawlessly! No burned out fuses, nothing rattling, no nothing! The only thing is that I need to secure that sub box in the back! It keeps sliding around due to my...errr...exuberant cornering. I picked up some heavy duty Velcro that I just need to take 5 minutes and apply. Then that should be that.

I do want to replace the stock HU at some point, so in the meantime, I think I will order that Toyota replacement HU bezel to allow an aftermarket HU to fit.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:16 PM   #106
derickveliz2

Looking forward to see it.
hey how are the rear spring stiffeners doing?

D.
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #107
Herbicidal

I haven't checked since I put them in. I'll have to look this weekend. At the time, they raised the back end by 1/4". Honestly, I haven't really noticed a difference in the ride. I think a 1/3" to a 1/2" thick, circular, flat spacer directly under the rear springs would lift the rear of the car up by that much without affecting the spring rate.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:36 PM   #108
derickveliz2

I know what you mean, it's very relative to the TRD springs you have compare to the NF210s I have. But take them out, and then you will feel the difference.