Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-03-2006, 12:38 AM   #19
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno View Post
If you read my post carefully you would see exactly what I meant.

In the car
door is locked
pull the door handle
door does not open

Unlock door
pull the door handle
door opens

Any car I have ever driven would open the door no matter what. When you pulled the handle the lock would open and the door would open.

What if your in a car accident and you are disoriented. It would make it that much more difficult to get out.

When I install my power locks I will figure a way to fix it so the lock pops open when you pull the handle.
i apologize if my comment was sounded rude. that is very far from my original intent. it's just that my family has only owned japanese cars (tercel, sentra, civic, altima, rx300, rav4, prius, galant, cordia, eclipse, sienna) except for 1 mustang and have never seen this feature (even on the domestic). we thought a door lock was a door lock. child locks are different because the doors are locked no matter the situation (locked or unlocked). i guess it just depends on the manufacturers...kinda like home door locks. some unlock automatically when you turn the knob, while others need to be unlocked no matter what.

--B

Last edited by static808; 12-03-2006 at 01:31 AM.
static808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:38 AM   #20
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
Ok, so it's normal to be able to open the door(s) when you're inside and the door(s) are locked, right? Even with the car running?

Mine does do that. If i'm in the car and the car is running or not and the door(s) are locked, I can open them.

I have power door locks and windows. Also, when I turn my ignition off, my doors automatically unlock if they're locked.

Last edited by IsLNdbOi; 12-03-2006 at 12:58 AM.
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:47 AM   #21
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno View Post
here is a list of cars I have owned that opened even if the doors where locked.

2003 PT cruiser

You didnt even have a choice on the Topaz or Mustang, both of the locks went 90% of the way into the door panel.

If you can't trust a kid not to open the door of a moving car they have no business being in the front seat.

weird my pt cruiser was the opposite, when the dorrs were locked, you couldn't just pull the handle to get out, you had to unlock them?? maybe a canada, usa thing???
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 12:56 AM   #22
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
ok according to the online yaris hatch manual i have page #20 says the door should unlock when pulling on the handle, if your vehicle doesn't have power locks!
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 10:42 AM   #23
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch View Post
ok according to the online yaris hatch manual i have page #20 says the door should unlock when pulling on the handle, if your vehicle doesn't have power locks!
Man I was trying to find that in my manual and must have skipped over it. Now that I have it in black and white I am taking it to the dealer to see what they have to say about it.
Old 12-03-2006, 03:14 PM   #24
eflb55
its EF LB 55

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 Sedan (US)
i know when my car is locked and the ignition off i cant use the power lock button to unlock them. i have to pull the handle from the inside open. if i unlock my car using my key i can then unlock the rest of the doors using the button on the driver door...
eflb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2006, 03:19 PM   #25
acrbill

Drives: Polar White Hatch
so perhaps only power lock optioned cars will pop the lock open when you pull the handle.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:24 AM   #26
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
OK I just tried it, on my car the driver's side door will unlock if you open it, but not the passenger side

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:04 AM   #27
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
I am able to open my door from the inside when the ignition is on, and the doors are locked. This applies to the driver side door and the passenger side door.

I have a RS Hatchback with power door locks.

I'll try opening the doors from the inside with the ignition off and when the doors are locked and let you all know.
Old 12-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #28
60 Somethings
Old Folks

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB, 2006 4Runner V8
The inside door handles seem to open our doors in all the situations mentioned.

We have power locks.