Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-20-2007, 03:20 AM   #1
githzerai
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota RAV4 / Nissan Titan
Interested in the 07 Yaris Hatchback

We are thinking of selling one of our trucks to buy a Yaris Liftback. But, we both worry about the horse power, 106 is pretty sad in our book. The last 100 hp car I had in the 90's barely got up over mountain passes at 35mph. Our RAV4 has 161 and the Titan has over 300. Gas is killing us, $500 a month in gas truely blows. The Titan is for business, so the RAV4 is going byebye. Here is my question, what kind of performance add-ons are available for the Yaris to boost the hp a bit? I have read about the cold air intakes and the Megan Header... but is that it? It would be nice to get it up in the 120-130 range but still be street-legal, while not destroying that fine gas mileage.

Thanks.
githzerai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:48 AM   #2
tca4

Drives: Yaris RS (white)
Just get a turbo kit or a compressor then, that can boost you to that range
tca4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:59 AM   #3
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Right now the Yaris is still kind of young in its new skin so there are not a lot of options as of yet....plus the fabricators need support and drive (pardon the pun) from the owners. Some vendors say that they have not seen a lot of demand yet however generally I think that the bulk of those that buy a Yaris are not looking to drop a couple grand at the drop of the hat to get an extra 20-35hp.

Just my 2 cents....either way you go I don't think that you would be disappointed with the car...just make sure you get a stick shift and things will be cool.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 05:01 AM   #4
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
just make sure you get a stick shift and things will be cool.
+1

My current recommendations as far as relatively inexpensive ways to get better performance and a bit more fun out of our cars (for what I've learned so far), are as follows:
  • NST short shift kit, a lightened crank pulley, and slam it a bit with some NF or DF springs, and help our vendors keep faith on our cars at the same time.
  • An intake will apparently only get you noticeable gains in the higher end, and there's a possibility that the lower end might suffer just a tad. I don't have one of these on my ride, so don't take my word for it
  • Whenever a true ECU comes to market for the Yaris, be sure to get that as well. That will probably will be the best price/value compromise out there for this car
Hope this helps you out! And welcome to the forums.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:15 AM   #5
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
I sold my Tacoma and bought the Yaris. The Yaris works well. I have a few minor grades to pull during my commute to work and the Yaris handles them better then the Tacoma ever did and gets much better fuel mileage to boot.
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
ALY
TOYOTA Product Advisor

Drives: 2007 YARIS RS 3DR LB "B" PKG
Quote:
Originally Posted by githzerai View Post
We are thinking of selling one of our trucks to buy a Yaris Liftback. But, we both worry about the horse power, 106 is pretty sad in our book.

I think you will be fine; however, you should test drive a Yaris from your TOYOTA dealer on the roads you frequent to see if the Yaris meets your expectations.
ALY is offline   Reply With Quote