Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-24-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
Dbeau

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan Aero
Alberta (Calgary) Meet ?

Ok so lets get the ball rolling here and see who is up for a meet ?
Dbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 10:43 PM   #2
ae92trueno7

Drives: 2007 Yaris Supercharged
when and where????
ae92trueno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:46 PM   #3
Dbeau

Was thinking some weekend in May perhaps.
As for where I'm not sure. I guess it all depends on where people would be coming from.\
Have and suggestions ?
Old 05-02-2009, 10:28 AM   #4
Dbeau

bump..anyone ?
Old 10-25-2009, 07:36 PM   #5
Betrivent
Not quite a noob

Drives: e46 325
Nonsense, do one in February to celebrate the Olympics.
Betrivent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #6
noraebong

Drives: 207 yaris sedan
Calgary winters and tires

Hi Calgary Yaris Users!
I drive an 07 Yaris Sedan (C package) and have so far managed the Calgary winters with the stock tires (Potenza 15's) that came with my vehicle.

However, I am now looking to put winters tires on the car as thhe stocks struggled through lsat winter, and I now have a new driver using the car and an infant in the back seat!

Can anyone provide input on the following?

What's a good winter tire for the city and driving to/in the mountains?
Studs or not?
What's the best deal you have found on tire, winter rim, and install package?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
noraebong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 04:17 PM   #7
Freestylin

Drives: 09 Blizzard Pearl RS LB
Anyone still up for this meet?
Freestylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:55 PM   #8
jjbkid

Drives: no car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestylin View Post
Anyone still up for this meet?
I am in if we can get at least 5 cars for a meet? Which should be do able..

Quote:
Originally Posted by noraebong View Post
Hi Calgary Yaris Users!
I drive an 07 Yaris Sedan (C package) and have so far managed the Calgary winters with the stock tires (Potenza 15's) that came with my vehicle.

However, I am now looking to put winters tires on the car as thhe stocks struggled through lsat winter, and I now have a new driver using the car and an infant in the back seat!

Can anyone provide input on the following?

What's a good winter tire for the city and driving to/in the mountains?
Studs or not?
What's the best deal you have found on tire, winter rim, and install package?

Thanks in advance for any replies!
As for winter tires i am currently using Hankook Ipike winter tires... They work very well for me..
Very deep groves, compared with Michelin X ice tires...

But most cars i see have the Michelin X-ice or Bridgestone blizzak. Winter Ice tires are good but don't last as long as regular winter tires.

The last time i checked Henninger had lots of 15 inch steel rims, and canyon creek use to have a lot of tires..

I got my rims at Cdn tire, the fit very well, only cost me $200 for for 4 rims...
jjbkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 12:08 AM   #9
noraebong

I'm game for a meet.

Thanks jjbkid for the reply on winter tires. I am leaning heavily towards the Hankooks after having just left Can Tire with a couple of quotes: 84.99 for Hankook RC01 vs 120.99 for General Tire Altimax Arctic. Quote for Altimax was 592 and change installed and balance; 844 with rims.

I have seen quite a few Echoes, Yaris, and Civics with Goood Year Nordics

Although a little expensive, the Altimax Arctic has many favourable reviews, and some say it is comparable to a Michelin X-Ice and other premium tires at 75-80% of the cost.

Don't know how you found icy intersections with the Hankook RC01 tires, but the only negative theme in their reviews was that they weren't so hot on ice and hard packed snow/ice such as at intersections....

Thanks again for your feedback...very helpful.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:23 PM   #10
jjbkid

Quote:
I'm game for a meet.

Thanks jjbkid for the reply on winter tires. I am leaning heavily towards the Hankooks after having just left Can Tire with a couple of quotes: 84.99 for Hankook RC01 vs 120.99 for General Tire Altimax Arctic. Quote for Altimax was 592 and change installed and balance; 844 with rims.

I have seen quite a few Echoes, Yaris, and Civics with Goood Year Nordics

Although a little expensive, the Altimax Arctic has many favourable reviews, and some say it is comparable to a Michelin X-Ice and other premium tires at 75-80% of the cost.

Don't know how you found icy intersections with the Hankook RC01 tires, but the only negative theme in their reviews was that they weren't so hot on ice and hard packed snow/ice such as at intersections....

Thanks again for your feedback...very helpful.
I am using the Hankook Ipike W409. I got it last winter, i am not sure what the replacement tire is for it. Right now it is mounted on the Corolla.

Right now the Yaris is on stock tires, no winter tires on it. I drive the Corolla more in the winter..

This tire is pretty good on dry, and snow.. But after last night not very good on ice.... Last night was intense driving home.. I almost got into 4 crashes...

People lost control in front of me, i was able to stop or swerve out of the way... Hope you made it home safe last night...
Old 11-29-2009, 09:27 PM   #11
noraebong

Calgary Friday Night Ice

Thanks..took me 4.5 hours to do what normally takes an hour. Roads were incredibly slick..saw a lot of out of control cars, but was pleased with the Yaris' performance..in first (auto) and on stock tires I was able to navigate spots a lot of other vehicles could not...with decent winter tires I am sure I could have handled anything...17 Ave SW exit to Sarcee South was a long sheet of ice blocked by a bus on one side and a pile of cars on the other..we managed to get through the gap between after almost sliding into the wreckage, then driving back up about a 10 degree glazed incline, turning around, and heading back down the exit ramp ON STOCKS...ABS is great...

Canadian Tire did a brisk trade the next morning! I got General Altimax 185/60/15...huge improvement over the stocks, although significantly more vibration through the steering wheel. Great traction so far ...reviews say comparable to Michelin X Ice at 20-30 bucks a tire less.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:43 PM   #12
noraebong

Calgary and Hankooks

[QUOTE=jjbkid;419609]I am using the Hankook Ipike W409.
Can Tire has the Hankook RC01 billed as there most cost effective tire. I asked the service adviser how they compared to the Generals. He said they were comparable but reviews I read said that although a decent snow tire they aren't great on ice and at hard packed intersections. A friend uses Michelin X Ice and Generals, and said they both work well on icy inclines..his opinion is that a highly siped ice tire is more useful here in Calgary than a snow tire with heavy treads..I haven't lived here long, but after Friday night I would agree with his assessment!
Old 11-30-2009, 05:28 PM   #13
jjbkid

[QUOTE=noraebong;419908]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbkid View Post
I am using the Hankook Ipike W409.
Can Tire has the Hankook RC01 billed as there most cost effective tire. I asked the service adviser how they compared to the Generals. He said they were comparable but reviews I read said that although a decent snow tire they aren't great on ice and at hard packed intersections. A friend uses Michelin X Ice and Generals, and said they both work well on icy inclines..his opinion is that a highly siped ice tire is more useful here in Calgary than a snow tire with heavy treads..I haven't lived here long, but after Friday night I would agree with his assessment!
That is good you got some tires!! I guess if you are working today, you will be able to test out your tires after work today!! It does not look good outside my office window right now...
Old 12-01-2009, 02:00 AM   #14
noraebong

[QUOTE=jjbkid;420145]
Quote:

That is good you got some tires!! I guess if you are working today, you will be able to test out your tires after work today!! It does not look good outside my office window right now...

Weather not so hot today...took 2 hours to complete 1 hour drive home due to volume delays, but tires worked very well...saw trucks spinning out and sliding on hills I had no problem driving up and down! Hope the roads on your route were decent.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #15
Kenshin

Drives: 2008 Blazing blue Met. HB
Hey guys, just wondering if we would all still be interested for a meet? We are getting unusually warm weather for March, just bumping this post to see who's still wanting to meet up.
Getting excited
Kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:19 AM   #16
Freestylin

Drives: 09 Blizzard Pearl RS LB
Anyone down for April 23 - April 27?? That's when I will be free :D
Freestylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 07:21 PM   #17
Kenshin

Drives: 2008 Blazing blue Met. HB
I'm very much down with that Freestylin :P
Kenshin is offline   Reply With Quote