Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Two New Tires/Rotation of Existing Four Tires

Okay, so my friend went to Wheel Works to get her tires rotated plus an alignment. They told her they rotated the tires, but when I looked at it today, they weren't rotated. The more worn out tires were still in the front and some other details of why I know they did not rotated. So I told her and she called them back. The manager was sorry that the tires were not rotated and proceeded to tell her that the rear tires should have the better tread. Keep in mind, she has an Accord coupe (fwd).

What's your take on this? I say that the front tires, especially on a fwd car, should have the better tires since they're the ones that receive the power and steer at the same time.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:31 PM   #2
XYaris

Drives: '09 Yaris LB
so the two NEW tires went in back? The pair left over from the original four that were less worn out (presumably the back ones) went up front? I guess that makes sense. As long as theyre not TOO worn out (they will be soon) and she can replace those when its time. It sounds ok from my point of view.
XYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Service writers at wheel works have no mechanic knowledge whatsoever. And will lie and tell you what you want to hear. The technician at wheel works are all teenagers. No one over the age of 20 usually except for 1 lead tech. Wheel works pays their tire techs only minimum wage so that should tell you something. The alignment techs make a 1.50 more than minimum.

Mom just took her car there for 2 tires few weeks ago. They tried to charge her 300 dollars for 2 tires installed she payed 200 for a few months ago. Luckly she had the recipt still. I always service her car for her at my shop when i got home she gave me this invoice with nearly a thousand dollars of recomended repairs. I told her she dosnt need any of that.

They lure people in for their cheap tires and free tire rotation, free brake inspections, free flat repair, free alignment inspections. People dont know that nothing in life is free. They have to make up the money somewhere else. Don't ever trust their recomendation on a tire either. They service writers are all on comission. So they will try to push you into a tire that may be more expensive and lower quality than another just because they get a extra 2 dollars comission per tire they sell.

Every car that has a free alignment inspection gets sold a alignment. Your toe on one back wheel might be off the slightest of a degree and even though it wont effect tire wear, cause your car to pull, and your steering wheel is off center. They will go for the hard sale cause they get a 5 dollar comission on every alignment they sell.

But back to topic i would put the 2 best tires in the front. And the 2 worn ones in the back to get you the best life. Otherwise you will be replacing those 2 worn tires in the front probably by the end of the year. But that would be in their best interest not yours.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:03 PM   #4
toast

Drives: 2007 LB
Assuming the 2 tires that were kept still had life in them, I would put the tires with the most tread on the back too.

I used to think the new ones should go on front so I could take off better in snow and slush, but found out if the fronts out-grip the rear you can run into trouble by having the fronts rock solid and the rear end slides around in a turn. Probably comes down to preference though.
toast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Here's the thing that gets me. It's a fwd car, so power and steering go to those two tires alone. Plus, brake bias is towards the front. So why would one want less grip in the front? And her car has traction control. Plus, they're the ones that said, "You really have to rotate your tires, NOW."
Old 02-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #6
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYaris View Post
so the two NEW tires went in back? The pair left over from the original four that were less worn out (presumably the back ones) went up front? I guess that makes sense. As long as theyre not TOO worn out (they will be soon) and she can replace those when its time. It sounds ok from my point of view.
They just rotated the four existing tires. I just wanted to basically know about the tires with more tread. hehe. Sorry for having new tires in the title.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:44 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
This has been discussed everywhere at length, and the final decision really depends on the person making it.

The new tires on the rear makes sense, even for a fwd car. Yes, the rear wheels do nothing.

Read that again, the rear wheels do nothing. If they slide out, there isn't much you can do to correct it. 99% of people have no clue how to deal with the rear end coming around.

If the fronts lose traction, no big deal, steer into the slide, hit the gas, and go. Or panic and hit the brakes.

Usually panicking and hitting the brakes when the rears slide will cause an instant spin. I know, I've done it.

So while you think the new ones should go on the front, and it kinda makes sense, for safety purposes they should be on the rear.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:09 PM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
This has been discussed everywhere at length, and the final decision really depends on the person making it.

The new tires on the rear makes sense, even for a fwd car. Yes, the rear wheels do nothing.

Read that again, the rear wheels do nothing. If they slide out, there isn't much you can do to correct it. 99% of people have no clue how to deal with the rear end coming around.

If the fronts lose traction, no big deal, steer into the slide, hit the gas, and go. Or panic and hit the brakes.

Usually panicking and hitting the brakes when the rears slide will cause an instant spin. I know, I've done it.

So while you think the new ones should go on the front, and it kinda makes sense, for safety purposes they should be on the rear.
Isn't that what you do when oversteering? If the fronts lose traction, then one would be understeering. I mean, I can see both ways, but I think managing oversteer is easier. But then again, my friends are not into cars, so they may just panic and hit the brakes (even tho I tell them not to).
Old 02-22-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
new wheels go to front and old wheels go to back on any fwd. That place is fucking stupid lol.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #10
BaknBlak

Drives: Black '07 HB A
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=52&
BaknBlak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:29 AM   #11
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaknBlak View Post
There you go.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
Kaotic Lazagna

In the mean time, I'll tell her to keep the better tires in the rear, and just have her rotate them when it stops raining.
Old 02-24-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
Kaotic Lazagna

On another note, after dropping off my gf at work just now (using her FG1), and coming to my exit and light (turning left), I almost freakin' lost it! It just rained, taking the turn how I usually take it (when it remains green, and in wet conditions), and then (no kidding) time felt like it slowed way down, and I heard I rumbling sound. I knew the car began to understeer. I fully lifted off the throttle and kept on steering to the left, the car began to turn again, but then the understeer became oversteer. So I countersteered and lightly applied some throttle. Whipped it back straight and kept on going (her apartment as a quarter mile away from this point).

I parked the car and checked everything out. When I filled up the tires with air a couple weeks back, I knew the tread was still good. So I decided to check the front right tire first. SOB, it has a leak! The psi is half of what it had when I put the air in! That's what caused the understeer! Taking it to America's Tire after class.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:26 PM   #14
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Okay, so my friend went to Wheel Works to get her tires rotated plus an alignment. They told her they rotated the tires, but when I looked at it today, they weren't rotated. The more worn out tires were still in the front and some other details of why I know they did not rotated. So I told her and she called them back. The manager was sorry that the tires were not rotated and proceeded to tell her that the rear tires should have the better tread. Keep in mind, she has an Accord coupe (fwd).
in a corner, having fresh grip in the back is safer
in a panic stop on wet roads, having fresh grip up front is by far safer.

so, the question is, does your friend have a fear of a little oversteer? :D
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #15
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
in a corner, having fresh grip in the back is safer
in a panic stop on wet roads, having fresh grip up front is by far safer.

so, the question is, does your friend have a fear of a little oversteer? :D
Yes she does. We all drive mainly on the highway (I avoid puddles and pot holes, she doesn't). So what do you think is best for her?
Old 02-24-2010, 04:00 PM   #16
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Yes she does. We all drive mainly on the highway (I avoid puddles and pot holes, she doesn't). So what do you think is best for her?
buy 2 more tires
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 01:02 AM   #17
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
buy 2 more tires
Don't think she wants to do that.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:46 PM   #18
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5 View Post
new wheels go to front and old wheels go to back on any fwd. That place is fucking stupid lol.
Actually, that place is right.

Ask any tire expert (read the Tire Rack link), and they'll point to that fact. If your rear tires are very worn, the light rear end of the car's tail can easily slide out and can be disastrous on the highway.

Solution: ROTATE regularly maintaining even wear. Replace all 4 together all the time!

People who constantly just buy in pairs bug me. Especially when mismatching brands/models.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote