Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-08-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
umm_bacon
Medium Pimpin

Drives: 07 Gerbil Powered Hatchback
Got some money to blow...and I'm a noob

I recently bought a 07 3 door manual Yaris, and despite the fact that I find myself being bombarded by gay clown car jokes (I live in the mid-west and folks tend to compensate for their short comings with jacked up mudders), I am very happy with the decision. I have little practical knowledge of working on cars, as I usually pay mechanic friends beer for labor, and not a hell of a lot of money to spend, hence the Yaris. I am generally of the opinion that putting much money in a bottom of the line economy car is rather futile, but after spending a few weeks looking on this forum have started to change my mind.

My question is what would you all do if you could drop $1000 towards improving performance? Does that really even make sense? Would you really notice much difference? I understand that this car isn’t a Supra, and options are limited with modifications, but there seem to be a few choices.

At first I thought about getting rims, and found a set I liked for just under $400. I then thought that maybe the higher quality (more expensive) cold air intake would make sense. I also considered putting on some headers and maybe a complete exhaust system. What would you guys suggest? I have read many of the threads on here and I have seen a lot of good ideas, even if I don’t fully understand (again cars aren’t my thing), however, I have seen a lot of asinine juvenile stuff too.

I understand that this car will never be a badass performance machine. I don’t think that any amount of money (that I could realistically expect to drop on a $13k car) would accomplish that, but I imagine that one could make relatively easy upgrades that would yield noticeable differences. Assuming that last part is true, what would you all do? I’d like to thank you all for your previous discussions, as I have learned a lot so far, and any advice you can offer now.
umm_bacon is offline   Reply With Quote