Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
brushforhire

Drives: 07 HB YARIS, 15 JUKE, 00 TUNDR
Possible DIY rear disc conversion

Okay so since I can't just sit still, and leave my car alone. I want to do a rear disc swap. I want to be able to provide everyone the ability to also do this, and follow along. That being the case, I was to do everything I can using all the shelf parts. Except the caliper bracket, but I will get to that.

Being that this is a figure it out as I go kinda project, please feel free to correct me and add any thoughts you would have to this.

If this works I will make another "just the facts" type thread.

So this is what I am thinking so far:

Rear rotors - 91-95 rear Honda civic EX/si rotors. They are 4x100 bolt pattern. They are 238.8mm tall. The hat is 160.8mm tall. They are 47.6mm from the front of the hat to the back of the rotor surface. The center bore is 61.0mm. (more on this later).

or

Possibly even yaris front rotors. They are 255 mm tall. 46.4mm front hat front to rotor rear. The hub bore is already 54.1mm.

Calipers and pads - 95 Civic ex/si rears. I want to go with these because they have the e-brake built right into the caliper housing.

The mounting bracket - Okay so what I am thinking is a 1/4" plate steel bracket that would mount sandwiched the hub and bearing and the axle beam. It would end up being like a 6.35mm spacer. Gotta see how this will affect alignment of the caliper and rotor.

Possible issues I think might come up, is the fact that the rotor hat might not clear the hub mounting surface. Also depth, etc.

With the civic rotors the center bore is 61.0 mm because the civic uses a weird stepped hub ring. The rotors are 61.0 mm and the wheel bore is 56.15 mm. I have found 60.1mm to 54.1mm centering rings, I am thinking possibly a wrap of tape would bring it close enough it may not be a problem.

Also gotta modify the e-brake cable to work with the civic e-brake lever.

Process - I have a spare hub and bearing I kept when I replaced one of mine. I will make up a jig of sorts to mount it up, so I can mock up the bracket and align everything.

So those are my thoughts so far.
Project so far: 2zrfe swap, Megan racing coilovers, TRD rear sway bar, whiteline bushings, RPM long tube header, midpipe, and DC sports xD exhaust, brake upgrade in front, MI stainless braided lines all around, matte paintjob, Takada cold air intake, various gauges, rear seat and belts removed.
Future: Turbo.
brushforhire is offline   Reply With Quote