Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-31-2009, 03:49 PM   #19
andaconda

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Very nice job but you can get the same results with half the work.not sure what your system is but you can lose the tape .I use Maguires NXT and Mothers Carnuba,i wash and wax once a month alternating with the NXT and Carnuba
First wax was Meguiar's Cleaner Wax in the maroon can. I do use Meguiar's Car Wash about once a week. Does the Meguiar's NXT leave white residue on the rubber and black trim? Haven't waxed it a second time yet, maybe I won't anymore.
andaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:27 AM   #20
808_Yaris
Where is Oahu?

Drives: 5-door meteorite metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by andaconda View Post
First wax was Meguiar's Cleaner Wax in the maroon can. I do use Meguiar's Car Wash about once a week. Does the Meguiar's NXT leave white residue on the rubber and black trim? Haven't waxed it a second time yet, maybe I won't anymore.
the meguiars nxt wax does not leave any white residue, and it's not necessary to use tape to take off your plastic. i use meguiars nxt and it works great!! and if your lazy then just get the meguiars nxt speed detailer
808_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 07:55 AM   #21
andaconda

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 808_Yaris View Post
the meguiars nxt wax does not leave any white residue, and it's not necessary to use tape to take off your plastic. i use meguiars nxt and it works great!! and if your lazy then just get the meguiars nxt speed detailer
Well, I'll give it a try next time. I think I'll clay bar it first.
andaconda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #22
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I stopped waxing since it ruined sections of plastic on my other cars, simply isn't worth it IMO.
I have, however, had great success with turtle wash+wax combo, really gives a shine and does actually bead for weeks. I also use a meguires inbetween wash spray, it has a smidgen of cleaner + a clear wax deposit (ends up feeling washed and clean) and a microcloth to apply it. keeping a black paintjob clean looking is a real B but totally worth it
;D
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #23
scape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I also sometimes go to the expense (few times a year) to wipe down all the door seals with armorall, though a friend said that would end up drying out the seals (they seem to stay very moist between applications)
scape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:20 PM   #24
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
Paste Kit wax dry on square sponge 3 or 4 times a year. Quicker to clean a speck or two off the plastic with wind shield cleaner than to tape the whole thing off. Regular wax is maintanence like an oil change: it keeps the dirt from wearing the paint and helps reduce UV wear.
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:41 AM   #25
DerFlosser

Drives: Yaris
Keeping a car up is very easy...especially when you have practice and methodology. The tape job is not neccessary as long as you are coordinated and careful. That can take longer than actually applying the product. My recommendation for anybody who doesn't like to wax by hand is to buy a random orbital polisher and use a paint sealant, preferably a one-step sealant with polishes in it. This will allow you to wash and clay the car if necessary and finish the sealing all in about a 2.5-3 hour window. Then you can use a plain sealant to maintain. I can apply a coat of sealant to my Yaris LB in about 40 minutes. It'll then take another 15 minutes to buff out the car by hand. Doing this about 4 times a year keeps the car looking incredible. Another great thing is spray on wax. I use that after ever wash and it keeps it looking freshly waxed and does add real protection though minimal. Honestly....it's all just therapy for me so I enjoy doing this to all of my cars but....for those who despise the process, use a sealant.
DerFlosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:04 PM   #26
Nagoya_TRD.

Drives: None.
If you want, you can also try to use apply the wax by hand, and buff off using an orbital and a buffing bonnet. Make sure you do NOT use Armor All products on your car.
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote