Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-16-2010, 08:36 PM   #19
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
Rotational Inertia = Mass x (Radius^2)

You're better off making your wheels wider than making them bigger in radius (diameter). Just wait till you kill your brakes too (increasing RI has negative effects on both acceleration AND deceleration)!

Everyone swears that big wheels are sporty. . . but they're not. Every purpose built sports car doesn't have big wheels just for the sake of having big wheels. They have big wheels because anything smaller will not fit over the gigantic brake discs. The rule of thumb is to get the SMALLEST wheel possible that will clear the brake caliper. Proper sport tires (with a high PSI and stiff sidewall) will not flex under heavy loads. Take a look at F1 or NASCAR. They BOTH take corners at 150+ MPH and none of those cars have rubber band tires. . .

Granted, it's harder to shop for a proper street tire for a smaller diameter wheel. But unless you have a BBK, anything larger than 15", IMO, is just for looks.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:24 PM   #20
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Big deal, most of the mods on this car are for looks. Anyone thinking they'll get high performance out of a sub-compact is kidding themselves. The Yaris is a great-handling car, but it will never be a straight-line rocket unless you turbocharge it. I am impressed with how well it will go around corners, I usually leave sports-cars in my dust in the turns; but once the road straightens out they blast by. Doesn't matter, I've made my point...
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:38 PM   #21
djct_watt

Drives: 2010 NCP91 5spd
^ agreed. . . but big heavy wheels turn this already slow car into an 15 sec 0-60, horrible gas mileage, terrible braking pig of a turd.

But to each their own. Some people are in no big hurry and could care less (or not notice) any of the above stuff. But it's usually the guys with the biggest wheels and most cosmetic mods that are trying to race from street light to street light, driving like morons, and endangering everyone's lives on the road.
djct_watt is offline   Reply With Quote