Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #1
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
Clazzio Seat Cover DIY Install

Here is my attemp at putting on the Clazzio Seat covers from MicroImage. I ordered the front seat covers only and they didn't come with instructions. Thanks to tehfallen, I was able to get a general idea on how to put them on. Garm is also going to email me a PDF file of the instructions soon. However, I couldn't wait and here is my step by step process of putting on the covers....

I only started taking pictures during the driver's seat install, but it'll give you a general idea. I took the seats out so I wouldn't have to crawl around in the tiny car. You need a size 10 torque socket.

1. Remove the 4 bolts holding the chair down. Tilt the chair back and then unplug all of the airbag stuff..

2. Get the bottom half of the seat cover and start to put it on.( I put the bottoms on first. Seemed easier that way.) Flip chair upside and you notice this fabric that is clipped onto the seat. There is a section that is also held there by an elastic strap. Just undo the strap from around the cage.

3. You need to unclip it and then fold it out of your way.

4. Then pull the end of the seat cover through the slip of the top half of the seat and the bottom half. Then get the clips and run the straps through and pull them tight..

5. You also need to fit the strings into the little cracks and fish them out through the bottom. Somewhat tedious...

6. Just pull them tight together and then tie them. Should look like this... (look at the string that is tied, not the clip in my hand.)

7. Flip over and see if it is on flush and straight for your liking.

8. I don't know if it says this in the instructions, but i decided to tuck the seat cover under the plastic of the chair. You can see the first example is how it looks untucked, then the second picture is tucked.

9. Start slipping on the top half of the cover..

10. Remember the fabric that we tucked earlier that was uncliped from the bottom of the seat? Well fold that niceley and then pull the seat cover over it. nice and flush.

11. Now pull the front of the cover through the seat and have it come out the back..

12. Now the LAME part. SLOWWWWWLY!!!!!!!!!! stretch the holes of the cover to go over the stupid headrest clips. USE EXTREME CAUTION!!! Do one side first, then SLOWLY stretch the other side on. *It was suggested to use a hair dryer to heat the holes of the cover to allow them to stretch. I would suggest doing this because you won't be happy if you tear the seat cover, trust me!

13. Thirteenth Step....BE MAD!!! Even when using extreme caution, I still managed to put a tiny tear when stretching the holes over the clips.... The headrest will cover it and I'll be using some vinyl glue to prevent future tearing.

14. Pull the front part of the cover tightly and pull up to velcro to the back part of the seat cover. Might be easier if you had two people. One pulling the front half up, then another pulling the back part down. Velcro nice and tight...

15. Check the front to see if everything is flush and no wrinkles...

16. Get the clips provide and put one on each elastic strap. Then hook to cage beneath seat.

17. If you haven't put the headrest covers on yet, you can do that now before the final look over. Take your time and make sure it lines up good. Then clip on bottom.

18. Flip chair over and hope everything looks good!

Looks good. But now the passenger seat. Unlike the driver's seat, the passenger seat has the lever on the side to make the chair go forward. This seems to make the cover not go on flush like the driver's seat. As you can see it's somewhat wrinkled around it and not flush...

However when it's not tucked under the lever, it seems that it would fit nice and flush if the lever wasn't there...

The result of this seems to throw the entire top cover out of wack. See the wrinkles? The left chair is the driver's seat that doesn't have the lever, and the right chair is the passenger seat..

Backseat shots..

Well the solution for the wrinkling near the passenger lever was fixed somewhat. I just rolled the seat cover underitself and then put the latch's cover on. It seemed there was too much material from the seat cover, so I just tucked it under itself.

Finished Product...

BEAUTIFUL!

Now all that is left is to get the door panels refabricated with some black leather!

Last edited by PETERPOOP; 12-17-2008 at 11:22 PM.
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 04:55 PM   #2
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
As usual excellent photo's ,and a excellent DIY , looks like the real deal, so jealous.
Garm will be so proud of you
i do have one small question , what does the back of the seats look like ,
and do they have a storage pockets
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
PETERPOOP

Just posted back seat shots. And YES! they have pockets on both front seats. ;)
Old 12-17-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
jinxor

Drives: Yaris 3dr YRS
nice writeup peter.... * * * * * (5 stars for the rating)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
they look in and i tell them "come on man, its stock, its slow, look its ricy as fuck, look at the fur, im a ricer man"
jinxor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 05:38 PM   #5
custom Lftback

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to custom Lftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinxor View Post
nice writeup peter.... * * * * * (5 stars for the rating)
+1
custom Lftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
What you could try doing is taking a hair dryer and get the little holes warmed up. That would make it a little more flexible to strech a bit. And then when it cools the holes shrink down to a perfect fit once they are on.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:32 PM   #7
PETERPOOP

Yah, I was actually told to put the covers in the sun a bit to have them stretch easier, but the seats weren't a problem, just the holes. But yah, good idea for the holes! Seems to be the solution.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:26 PM   #8
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Nice write up Peter! They are looking good!

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #9
||)) (o) ||\||
- Donnie Demonic -

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan Sport
Looks awesome! I am very inspired. Thank you for the write-up.
||)) (o) ||\|| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:11 PM   #10
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Thanks Peter, mine will be on as soon as they get here. Pics are always worth a thousand words and the added comments about caution areas are much appreciated.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:18 AM   #11
LtNoogie

Drives: '08 Bayou Blue LB AT
Good DIY and very good pictures. Now, I want to see a video! I want to hear if the seats squeak like leather seats in other cars.
LtNoogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:26 AM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
looks good, great job! If you're interested, Clazzio has agreed to provide matching material by the yard for things like door panels -- FYI.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 12:48 AM   #13
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Sweet, you know the black leather storage center console from cali Yaris would match those really well...
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:29 PM   #14
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Nice job!
How much did the front set run ya?
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 03:49 PM   #15
PETERPOOP

Cali Yaris sells them for 330$. I have the ones with the leather center.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:29 PM   #16
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Hey Garm,
Is it possible to buy the fronts and backs seperately?
Like if you saved up for the fronts, then later on ordered the back set as a stand alone set?
They actually look factory, not like cheesy seat covers! With time they will "settle" and will fit even better after a few mioles sitting in 'em.
Thanks!
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #17
Rich k

Drives: 07 3dr white Yaris 5spd stock
Send a message via AIM to Rich k
Thanks really nice diy and good looking seats.
Rich k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 08:49 PM   #18
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
Cali Yaris sells them for 330$. I have the ones with the leather center.
Just to clarify, that price is for FRONT ONLY. Complete pricing can be found on my vendor page.

Quote:
Is it possible to buy the fronts and backs seperately?
At this time, only front sets and complete sets are available. This may change, IF I run out of front sets and have to break up a complete set to do so.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote