Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Yaris TS Talk
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #1
Stiv

Drives: Yaris TS 1,8L
TRC/VSC switch?

I just read somewhere that Scion xD has on/off switch for TRC/VSC. It's located in on one of those 4 slots between shifter and hand brake.
If the motor is the same, same as some other stuff, is there by any chance some similarity in electrical wiring?
Maybe we could just make some kind of plug-n-play switch for our TS?
There could be a socket just waiting to be plugged
What do you think?
Stiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Stiv

Lucky you :)
I still have to do that brake - hand brake stuff.

Anybody have Yaris 2010 wiring diagram? I am electrical technician so it would help a bit :)
Old 01-08-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
Stiv

Ok, I'll ask him. But if nothing else, you could pop that cover and take a look where the wiring goes. Maybe take a picture or two of connectors and wires? :)
Old 01-08-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I have the 2010 EWDs. I'll PM you the VSC/TRAC one. It looks like it would be very easy to just wire up your own switch.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 10:06 AM   #5
tcpty
TSport Underdog

Drives: 2008 TS Storm Gray
Great News!!! When you decipher, please count me in as interested too so please post the solution if any !
tcpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Stiv

Sure thing mate. If this works I'll write a DIY.
In the meantime I looked at the wiring in my TS and there is no connector for this switch. So for now it's not plug and play but there must be at least an open pin on some connector.
I'll take a look at the EWD's CTScott sent me today.
Old 01-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Take a look at this thread, starting with post#13:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20621

When the 2010's came out with it in the US this year (other markets had it earlier than us), I did a quick writeup. You simply wire a switch to bring the input to ground and press and release to turn VSC off, or press and hold to turn TRAC off.

It looks like the wiring is only there if the switch is an option (or standard) for your market. Also, for the US (where the switch is not an option), the instrument cluster does not have the VSC OFF or TRAC OFF lights.

Also, take a look at this thread for info on how to turn it off, without doing any wiring:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=vsc
Old 01-10-2010, 11:37 AM   #8
Stiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott
Take a look at this thread, starting with post#13:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20621

When the 2010's came out with it in the US this year (other markets had it earlier than us), I did a quick writeup. You simply wire a switch to bring the input to ground and press and release to turn VSC off, or press and hold to turn TRAC off.

It looks like the wiring is only there if the switch is an option (or standard) for your market. Also, for the US (where the switch is not an option), the instrument cluster does not have the VSC OFF or TRAC OFF lights.
This sounds promising. I bet the TRC/VSC in new Yaris is taken from earlier TS models.

But how on earth should I reach that A30 connector from engine bay. I have no place to go to take a look from underneath.
By that picture you provided, I'm not sure it's even visible without taking at least the battery out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott
Also, take a look at this thread for info on how to turn it off, without doing any wiring:

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...&highlight=vsc
Yeah, I got tired of doing tis for past two years. That's why I want a nice little button :)
Old 01-10-2010, 12:34 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiv View Post
This sounds promising. I bet the TRC/VSC in new Yaris is taken from earlier TS models.

But how on earth should I reach that A30 connector from engine bay. I have no place to go to take a look from underneath.
By that picture you provided, I'm not sure it's even visible without taking at least the battery out.

It's definitely not an easy place to get to. And, unfortunately, the only place it routes through is one of the connectors at the top of the dash, which would require removing the dash to get to. I have a feeling that you will find that the pin on connector A30 is empty on cars that don't have the switch. So, you would need to add the pin (Toyota Part Number: 82998-24250)
Old 01-10-2010, 12:58 PM   #10
Stiv

Ok. So there is another connector behind the dash, but it's a good guess that it's not wired. So again, it would require to get to that connector from the engine bay and run a wire to the cabin, right? Or did i got my connectors mixed up :)
Old 01-10-2010, 12:59 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ok. So there is another connector behind the dash, but it's a good guess that it's not wired. So again, it would require to get to that connector from the engine bay and run a wire to the cabin, right? Or did i got my connectors mixed up :)
That's correct.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:49 AM   #12
Stiv

Well then, this will have to wait until I find a way to get to that connector.
Or if someone else if willing to take a look at that A30 connector, and take a picture or two. Maybe even try to ground it with a piece of wire to do a quick test :)

There is just one thing that is bugging me in post http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=23
"automatic TRAC on...if vehicle speed increases"
So what. We disable TRAC and push the pedal in "drag race" and it reactivates? That's just wrong :(
Old 01-11-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Well then, this will have to wait until I find a way to get to that connector.
Or if someone else if willing to take a look at that A30 connector, and take a picture or two. Maybe even try to ground it with a piece of wire to do a quick test :)

There is just one thing that is bugging me in post http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=23
"automatic TRAC on...if vehicle speed increases"
So what. We disable TRAC and push the pedal in "drag race" and it reactivates? That's just wrong :(
if you turn off TRAC with the handbrake/footbrake method it will not turn on automagically. ever.

if you do it with a switch, it will. if you are drag racing and use a switch,
it will reactivate well after launch you should be past the point of spinning anyway
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #14
CTScott
ULTIMATE

That post has some contradictory info, which I couldn't find in the section of the manual that I have:

"automatic reactivation of TRAC and VSC
turn engine off

automatic TRAC on...if vehicle speed increases

automatic TRAC and VSC activation
they will not reactivate when speed increases"
Old 01-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #15
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
That post has some contradictory info, which I couldn't find in the section of the manual that I have:

"automatic reactivation of TRAC and VSC
turn engine off

automatic TRAC on...if vehicle speed increases

automatic TRAC and VSC activation
they will not reactivate when speed increases"
straight from techinfo.toyota.com

look for the conjunction 'AND' in my post.

TRAC will activate automatically

TRAC -and- VSC will not
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Got it. I was thinking that quick press was VSC off, not TRAC off.

OK, so in that case, as long as one does the long press with the switch, there are no worries about TRAC being re-enabled on acceleration.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #17
Stiv

I looked at Brake Control.pdf on Etimago's pages and found that one has to remove battery and battery holder to get to the brake actuator (page BC-87 and BC-88).
Now, on page BC-88, there is a sketch of brake actuator connector, and it looks different from what I expected. Am I looking at the right connector or is there another one for vehicles with VSC?
Old 01-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #18
CTScott
ULTIMATE

The connector on the "Skid Control ECU" changes from connector A15 to connector A30 for VSC equipped cars. The connector is in the same general place, but is slightly different (so one can't be plugged into the other).