Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-13-2012, 12:15 AM   #1
roneezy360

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Handling Issues.

Hey guys, i have a problem that I think someone here might be able to help me with.

Recently, I really dont know when this started. But when I go past 60mph on the freeway/highway I feel my Yaris wiggle and go drift off to the left or right. It doesnt have a straight line and I can only go perfectly straight when im not going 60 or more mph. I have been driving this car almost everyday for the past year and a half so I can sort of feel almost everything this car goes through.

Like I said I got new tires and an allignment but I just cant seem to drive straight. When im trying to drive straight it seems to want to drift a little bit or wiggle to the left or right at times and idk what to do. I also want to note that Ive been running Garms Springs along with my Stock Shock for atleast 5-6 months now. So could it be my suspension? Could someone who is car-savy help me with this?

AND Another thing to ask, everytime I go inside the car and go outside it squeeks. Can someone explain the problem there too? lol Thanks.
roneezy360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Search for swaying, handling, wandering etc. You find plenty of threads on the topic. In short, buy an anti sway bay and/or lower it if you can.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:51 AM   #3
roneezy360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
Search for swaying, handling, wandering etc. You find plenty of threads on the topic. In short, buy an anti sway bay and/or lower it if you can.
I cant lower it anymore because I already have Micro Images Springs installed.
Its a 1.8 Drop. Can anyone else post as to why my car wanders a bit instead of going straight?

Update: Okay, so i found out everyones Yaris wonders. But my wheels are at 205/45/16 so isnt that wide enough for it to no wander off? Anyone have any idea as to what add-ons will ease the "wandering"? I know there are sway bars and such but what is the most effective?
Old 03-13-2012, 03:40 AM   #4
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
if your not gonna get coil overs or shocks/struts, sway bars are prob your best bet (front and back) these also help body roll

do you have sedan or hatch?
Old 03-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #5
roneezy360

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewai View Post
if your not gonna get coil overs or shocks/struts, sway bars are prob your best bet (front and back) these also help body roll

do you have sedan or hatch?
I have a hatch, I tell Garm im going to visit him but my money always ends up somewhere else lol. Soon ill be getting his Tokico Blues and if a sway bar is a good consideration, which one would be the best to improve handling? Front, Rear, etc?

Here is my Car:
IMG_20120306_113229.jpg
Old 03-13-2012, 06:17 AM   #6
12 yaris

Drives: '12 Yaris LE Lagoon Blue Mica
I would check tie rods,however it could be the width of your tires,since
you don't have coil overs or sway bars.
12 yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 02:04 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
1. You said you got an alignment, but not what your suspension is set at.
front/rear camber & toe -- these settings can make a BIG difference. You should have gotten a printed sheet with your specs. Post please?

2. Rear sway bar will make a difference especially at higher speeds and in corners. Highly recommended. 19mm or 23mm, either one. Get the Whiteline we are blowing out, only a few left.

3. What is your tire pressure and when was the last time you checked it?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:12 PM   #8
roneezy360

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
1. You said you got an alignment, but not what your suspension is set at.
front/rear camber & toe -- these settings can make a BIG difference. You should have gotten a printed sheet with your specs. Post please?

2. Rear sway bar will make a difference especially at higher speeds and in corners. Highly recommended. 19mm or 23mm, either one. Get the Whiteline we are blowing out, only a few left.

3. What is your tire pressure and when was the last time you checked it?

Well, im not smart care-related wise to even know I can get a printed sheet of my specs lol. I'll try and get that done but I have never touched my Suspension since last September when I installed your Micro Image springs on my Stock Shocks. My tire pressure atm is 30psi. I barely found this out so ill be putting 40 in it soon.

Hey Garm if I were to visit you this Friday can you help me get this sway bar on? Im getting paid by Thursday and if this really helps with handling and if itll make my steering tighter and not so loose i will FOR SURE go up to you from San Diego and get it. (Sigh) again I am not able to get your Tokico Blues lol. Maybe I can get that next month.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Yep, we can do that install for you.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
roneezy360

Quote:
Yep, we can do that install for you.
Ahh I cant resist you, will you be open all day Friday? I wonder what is a good time to catch the wave of no traffic from San Diego to your place.

Edit: Garm, you will open 8am Friday right?

Last edited by roneezy360; 03-14-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

yes 8-4. If you're coming early, and I'm going to be under your car, let me know, I need to turn on some heaters.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:40 PM   #12
flg

Drives: Silver Toyota
You said you had new tires put on? And an alignment? Take it back!
Sounds like maybe a toe out/in issue? When you are accelerating the tires are pulling themselves toed in more. When the accelerator pedal is not calling for so much umphh, the toe goes back to a more toed out condition. Sounds like it's toed out to much? if you are accelerating above 60mph, is it easier to go strait while your accelerating but wanders when you back off?
flg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
roneezy360

Quote:
Originally Posted by flg View Post
You said you had new tires put on? And an alignment? Take it back!
Sounds like maybe a toe out/in issue? When you are accelerating the tires are pulling themselves toed in more. When the accelerator pedal is not calling for so much umphh, the toe goes back to a more toed out condition. Sounds like it's toed out to much? if you are accelerating above 60mph, is it easier to go strait while your accelerating but wanders when you back off?
Well i had the allignment done twice previous to this and I just figured out the problem may be that my tire pressure only had 29 in it. I pumped it back up to 40 and it seems to run fine on the freeway now, It doesnt wobble as bad as before. Ill keep updating if anything is wrong.

@Garm Ill post here Thursday afternoon to let you know for sure if im going. Its a most likely atm though, I googled every topic i can about rear sway bars and ppl keep asking themselves why they never had it in the first place so Ill most likely head up so yeah ill keep you posted Garm.
Old 03-14-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

no problem!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:57 PM   #15
roneezy360

Hey Garm for sure I will be going to your place tomorrow morning. I'm leaving San Diego at 6-630am so hopefully I'll be there by around 9-930am. Thanks!
Old 03-15-2012, 10:11 PM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

ok! If you can, please bring cash, we like it better.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:28 PM   #17
roneezy360

Quote:
ok! If you can, please bring cash, we like it better.
kk, I'll try and bring enough lol
Old 03-16-2012, 10:51 PM   #18
roneezy360

Hey, thanks again for the rear sway bar. Ive been driving in this car long enough to feel almost everything there is to there when Im driving and I can say that this rear sway bar helps. Thanks!