Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-26-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
Kaykogi

Drives: 2009 Barcelona Red Sedan
Exclamation Catastrophic Yakima Roof Rack Failure

I've lurked here on yw.com for some time, but now is a time for action. Also, my first post. I bought a Yakima Q-tower base rack system (The old style with the hash marks on top, if anyone is interested), 48" crossbars, and two frontloader bike mounts for my 2009 Yaris sedan. It worked awesome for a few months, and I would check it frequently to make sure it was still secure. The other day on the way home from a ride the whole thing detached from the roof at 50 mph and fell onto the road. Amazingly, the bikes (mine: $2800, and a friend's: $4800) sustained minimal damage. The rack, however, is a total loss, and my car, which was in pristine condition, now has a series of dents:

And scratches:

I was really enjoying this rack setup.

As you can tell.

I wish I had a picture of the bikes and the rack now, but they're currently in a friends garage. My question is this: has anyone else out there had any problems with Yakima (or Thule, out of curiosity) roof racks failing? I believe that my case was due to the clips that hook under the doors slipping out, even though I checked them minutes before it fell off, so I'm hoping Yakima will cover the cost of the rack and repairs to the bikes and my car. Anyway, any feed back would be appreciated.
Kaykogi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike rack, damage, fail, roof rack, yakima