Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-06-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Any negative side effects of TRD sway bar?

I know, I really don't want to start a million threads about the sway bar but I'm a thinking type person and always have questions. I started getting to think if there is any side effects of having the trd sway bar? Does it wear out the edges of the rear tires faster since there's much less "flex" from the suspension going with the car when it goes around a turn or does it make it any "harder" of a turn since theres less give in the rear suspension?

It just makes me ask because when I was looking at my tires today since putting the bar on, the front tires driving surface area is completely white (From the salt residue on the road) but the rears, it seems like the outer edges of the tires are saltless. So I'm trying to figure out why it's like that, is that surface of the tire not touching the road because how stiff the rear end is now and less leeway? I don't believe it's any sort of alignment issue because the car drives fine straight and doesnt pull.

Maybe I'm being dumb and paranoid?

Just want to cover all my bases I suppose
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
SeaYa
Is about to 'SeaYa' later

Drives: 08 MT Sedan
When you say side, do you mean the outer 1-2 inches of tread? That'd be normal. In any turn, the tires 'slip' since the inside edge of the tire has a shorter turn radius than the outside (even more so on the rear since they can't turn like the front). The pattern you saw may have been present pre-sway bar, and you never noticed it, but it may be slightly more pronounced with the sway bar, since now the tires are taking on more of the cornering force. If in fact it is new, you are seeing the effect of that 'planted' or 'more direct' steering feeling you mentioned in another post. You're putting a greater slip angle on the rear tires, making it closer to the slip angle of the front tires, and reducing the understeer. (rear slip angle< front slip angle = understeer, rear > front = oversteer). The Yaris is a light FF so it has natural understeer, you just neutralized some of that by adding the sway bar. Since it links the left and right tires more closely together, if you hit one our many 6" Michigan potholes, you'll feel more of a jar than usual.

I've seen this posted by others, but the big downside seems to be, since you have more control (and a more fun feel to cornering) you'll likely want to push it more and take the corners harder. If that's the case, sure you may knock a couple miles off the life of your tires, but shouldn't be anything dramatic, especially if you rotate them every 5k. I imagine the only other 'negative' is now that you got a taste of what mods can do to the performance of a car....you may get curious about more, and you're bank account may become more negative.

Also, what's your tire pressure? You may want to up it by 2-3 psi to help the sidewalls out.

Last edited by SeaYa; 02-07-2009 at 08:36 PM.
SeaYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Adding a rear swaybar decreases the car's tendency to understeer. For a FWD car, that's a good thing. It also makes the steering feel more responsive by reducing body roll, which can also be a good thing.

The negative is exactly the opposite of both of those things. Reducing understeer equates to increasing the tendency towards oversteer. Making the car more responsive makes it less forgiving. These two things in the hands of an inexperienced driver in the wrong situation can be bad.

It's not going to affect your tire wear at all. You driving the car harder because it feels better... yeah, THAT will affect your tire wear.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
I've had mine for almost a year now. No problems and I love the tight feel when I turn.
A worthwhile mod that won't break the bank.

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
The negative is if you decide to put the car through it's paces, and somehow go into the grass, you're more likely to roll the car...
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
More likely to roll the car? I can understand how the sway bar reduces understeer, but how does it make the car more likely to roll?
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
What if people have light wheel less than 10lb per wheel, it already helps cornering a lot but will the added rear sway bar make the cornering over-steer too much combined with light wheel?
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
What if people have light wheel less than 10lb per wheel, it already helps cornering a lot but will the added rear sway bar make the cornering over-steer too much combined with light wheel?
light weight wheels don't help you corner better.

it's all about the tires..
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 10:46 PM   #9
Loren
What?

Aw, man. You guys have me on misinformation overload!

A stiffer rear swaybar isn't going to make your car more likely to rollover if you hit the grass. (if you're the type who makes the dumb mistake of abruptly lifting off of the gas or stabbing the brakes in the middle of a turn, having a stiff rear bar is more likely to get you INTO the grass, however) Once you're in the grass you don't have enough grip to roll the car unless one or more tires digs into the dirt... and THAT will toss you in a hurry.

Lighter wheels don't really help with cornering, but they help with everything else. Improved acceleration and braking, and improved ride because there is less unsprung weight. There may be a slight cornering advantage on ROUGH surfaces because the shocks will be better able to control the lighter wheel. And a lighter wheel makes the steering feel more light and nimble.

I didn't mean to scare anyone by stating that the TRD rear bar will cause oversteer. It's really not going to be an issue if you don't drive like a complete moron. And if you drive that way, that's a condition you need to address whether you add a rear swaybar or not!

Think of it this way. If there were NO negatives to making the rear of the Yaris stiffer than it is, Toyota would have made it that way to begin with. Adding that stiffness effects the ride and handling characteristics of the car. It makes the car feel more "sporty", which would tend to limit the mass-market appeal of the car. Most people want the car to provide a smooth ride, be easy to drive, and forgiving of most driver errors.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:04 PM   #10
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
Thanks Loren, always enjoy reading your insight.
Perhaps you should paint your Yaris BRG too?

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 03:28 PM   #11
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I drove with the swaybar only installed for about a month prior to adding the shocks and springs. Honestly, I feel that the TRD swaybar should really be a factory installed part. It has no negitive effect on ride comfort but added stability and sure-footedness to my sedan. It also helps neutralize the cross-wind & truck turbulance issues that bucked the stock Yaris all over the highway lane.
An inexpensive, effective component that's a no-brainer to install. Can't beat that.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:01 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
The rear sway bar is a must-have on this car. I can't think of any negatives to adding it if you want, as Loren says, a "sportier" feel. And the Ultra Racing one I stock is $129 shipped, about $40 cheaper than the TRD brand.

I know, a shameless plug but at least you know you have choices in the marketplace.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:29 PM   #13
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
+1 the only negative affect is not haveing a sway bar
and you can trust Cali Yaris to boot as well , money saved
is money in the pocket
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #14
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
The rear sway bar is a must-have on this car. I can't think of any negatives to adding it if you want, as Loren says, a "sportier" feel. And the Ultra Racing one I stock is $129 shipped, about $40 cheaper than the TRD brand.

I know, a shameless plug but at least you know you have choices in the marketplace.
cali yaris, is it basically the same design and installation as the TRD bar?

I'd like to see side-by-side pics for comparison.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #15
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Question: Wouldn't a roll bar negate liftoff oversteer? And if so, wouldn't it be better to stay with the liftoff? Or am I getting it backwards?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 12:07 AM   #16
Loren
What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
Question: Wouldn't a roll bar negate liftoff oversteer? And if so, wouldn't it be better to stay with the liftoff? Or am I getting it backwards?
I think you have it backwards.