Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #1
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
Turbo Toyota Echo

So this is my girlfriends car, shes had the echo for 4 years now. got this greddy turbo kit off of bluevitz,

its running a 300xz intercooler, custom intake and charge piping, greddy t14 turbo and cast manifold, greddy downpipe that is heat wrapped, and emanage blue.

things needed to be changed are the emanage, and going to get an ssqv bov, to much compressor surge with the current one.

Last edited by Scubaru Steve; 01-04-2011 at 10:24 PM.
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:19 PM   #2
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
do the pink wheels make it faster?
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 08:46 PM   #3
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
cool! How much boost?
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

wastegate is set to 5psi, on the highway we see 6-7 from the extra load.
im having alot of trouble with this emanage.. im starting to absoloutly hate it.
it also may be the stock ecu but im not sure.

put an aem ugeo in the other day,
it seems that after 3000rpm and full throttle we peg out the afrs to 10, so im not sure where it is going to, so we have a flooding/bogging issue. i have tried backing the fueling off with the emanage but it doesnt seem to do anything, the stock computer i think is also trying to compensate for that too, under 2000rpm we are at 16-17 afr. ander cruising the afr's sweep from low 14's to high 15's.

on the plus side, under part throttle it holds a consistent 12-13afr and a ton of torque.

im thinking i need the aem fic and hopefuly it can clear all this up.
any one know if the fic will work on an auto trans? or if anyone makes
a plug and play harness for an 02 echo?

we are also running stock exhaust, priced out out at a local shop, 2inch piping, 24inch resinator, and a straight through magnaflow muffler.
and that intercooler in the picture thats sitting in the trunk needs to go on as well.
the girly likes pink so i got her pink rims, and for making it faster yes, we run 205's over the stock 175's, grips alot better.
Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 AM   #5
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scubaru Steve View Post
wastegate is set to 5psi, on the highway we see 6-7 from the extra load.
im having alot of trouble with this emanage.. im starting to absoloutly hate it.
it also may be the stock ecu but im not sure.

put an aem ugeo in the other day,
it seems that after 3000rpm and full throttle we peg out the afrs to 10, so im not sure where it is going to, so we have a flooding/bogging issue. i have tried backing the fueling off with the emanage but it doesnt seem to do anything, the stock computer i think is also trying to compensate for that too, under 2000rpm we are at 16-17 afr. ander cruising the afr's sweep from low 14's to high 15's.

on the plus side, under part throttle it holds a consistent 12-13afr and a ton of torque.

im thinking i need the aem fic and hopefuly it can clear all this up.
any one know if the fic will work on an auto trans? or if anyone makes
a plug and play harness for an 02 echo?

we are also running stock exhaust, priced out out at a local shop, 2inch piping, 24inch resinator, and a straight through magnaflow muffler.
and that intercooler in the picture thats sitting in the trunk needs to go on as well.
the girly likes pink so i got her pink rims, and for making it faster yes, we run 205's over the stock 175's, grips alot better.
PM chinocharles. i sold him a hacked PnP greddy harness that i modified to work with the AEM FIC.

it's for a scion xA/xB, 5spd, so you may need to cut some connections and move wires. but it's better than spending $$$$ for a boomslang and have it be wrong anyway (due to the fact you're in an automatic)

i used an FIC as well, had a greddy, used it once, got rid of it. FIC was much easier to work with/tune, etc. make sure you're tricking the AFR's going back into the stock ECU or you'll never get rid of your bogging problem. you want the stock ECU to think the car's running 14.7:1 even when it's not, and adjust fueling with the MAF (IMO). the issue will be closed loop tuning, as the car is VERY sensitive to slight changes during closed loop. i was able to dial in open loop tuning to a rock steady AFR, but always struggled with closed loop.

what injectors are you using, and how much timing are you pulling? i ended up pulling out less than 1deg of timing on a cool (large turbo) air charge. the car ran great, and is still running great off-boost. i ran 9-10psi on a daily basis.

these were my numbers on a blown TD04 (i swapped in a VF39 from an STI and the car was MUCH faster)
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:21 AM   #6
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
just a thought.. what spark gap are your plugs set at? the boost could be blowing ur spark out under WOT. i know the .44 is a bit too wide for boosted cars. i had a similar problem on my crx. i set them at .22
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:16 PM   #7
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

i wonder if the connectors are the same on the xb and an 02 echo, i have no problem with changing the wires, i had to tap into the stock harness for the emanage.

the emanage has no control for timing. isnt closed loop tuning used for only wot? and open is for everything else is it not? and the aem wideband can send signals to the fic? oh and the stock injectors seem to be doing fine, if we have 5psi and flooding the engine at the red line.

i have a td04 and a vf24 siting around, i wonder if it will fit on the greddy manifold. mmm ball bearing.

as for the plug gap, i dont remember what that was set to, i do know they are 1 step colder plugs.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
Tamago

WOT is open loop, closed loop is when the ECU actually requests information from the sensors before making decisions.
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #9
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

i have found an fic for 300 shipped, gonna pick it up next week,
just need to find an extension harness... i have looked at the clips on the xb,
doesnt look like it will work :( im not excited to wire this while laying under the dash.

if anyone has tricks for tuning the fic please let me know.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #10
slow.yaris
Banned

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
I'd start with getting that intake(actually everything) mandrel bent instead of cut and welded. No way you're getting smooth intake flow.
slow.yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:21 PM   #11
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow.yaris View Post
I'd start with getting that intake(actually everything) mandrel bent instead of cut and welded. No way you're getting smooth intake flow.
if you dont think it is smooth air flow you need to see it in person, 15 degree pie cuts, a tig wielder and a file can go along way. the piping is all getting powder coated after we stick in the bigger front mount.

Last edited by Scubaru Steve; 01-04-2011 at 11:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
slow.yaris
Banned

Drives: 07 yaris sedan
Quote:
if you dont think it is smooth air flow you need to see it in person, 15 degree pie cuts, a tig wielder and a file can go along way. the piping is all getting power coated after we stick in the bigger front mount.
Even if the inside is smoother than glass, you can still have laminar flow problems.
slow.yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #13
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Unplug the AFR sensor and tune in open loop.

Constant CEL, but tuning doesn't get any easier or more straightforward.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:52 PM   #14
Tamago

Quote:
i have found an fic for 300 shipped, gonna pick it up next week,
just need to find an extension harness... i have looked at the clips on the xb,
doesnt look like it will work :( im not excited to wire this while laying under the dash.

did you completely ignore my post saying that chinocharles has exactly what you need ?
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:53 PM   #15
Tamago

Quote:
if you dont think it is smooth air flow you need to see it in person, 15 degree pie cuts, a tig wielder and a file can go along way. the piping is all getting power coated after we stick in the bigger front mount.
your piping is beautiful. you and i know this :) don't let the mandrelman drag you down
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:36 PM   #16
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
did you completely ignore my post saying that chinocharles has exactly what you need ?
thanks about the piping,
yes i tried, he is not on yaris world, and i found him on micro image by fluke, have not herd a response yet.
the thing is im trying to see if the pins connectors are the same for the echo and the xb, im starting to think they are not
Old 01-04-2011, 11:38 PM   #17
Tamago

Quote:
thanks about the piping,
yes i tried, he is not on yaris world, and i found him on micro image by fluke, have not herd a response yet.
the thing is im trying to see if the pins connectors are the same for the echo and the xb, im starting to think they are not
did you download the echo and xA electrical manuals? you can find the differences immediately.

i'm not gonna spoon feed you on this one. i have both diagrams, so i want to see if you can figure it out

btw, left chino a message to contact you.
you nailed it sir.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #18
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

that was my problem, im looking for an xb....
i have my diagram for the echo, mine is to-06
and as per this link its not gonna work...

http://www.clubxb.com/forums/f66/03-...c-33654-2.html