Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2010, 03:56 PM   #37
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
FINALLY got an email from Zage regarding my proposal. They're willing to do $1400 for the full kit so long as I provide some media regarding the install. Personally, I think this is incredibly fair and would only cost $50 extra than what I was originally planning to do (kit w/o turbo and pan, use ebay gt25). This will allow me to maintain a close relationship to customer service as well (atleast a rational person would expect this). SO, it looks like we're finally getting a test subject for this kit.

I'm going to bide my time for the next week or so, as I would really like to get some feedback from the guy who bought Yoda's kit. With what I know atm, I don't think fitment is going to be too difficult to account for, but I'm mostly worried about the quality of the turbocharger. I'm hoping worst case is that I have to replace it, but I'm worried about any sort of engine damage that may come with an explosion...

Regarding management, I've decided I will be using the AEM FIC afterall. I talked to cdydjded briefly and didn't realize he's only running fuel maps (with the car running perfectly fine). I figure it couldn't hurt to try hooking up a few of the other features and asking my tuner to attempt to get them working. Worst case they don't, but I get fuel maps which appears to be all I really need.

As for additional equipment to run with this turbocharger setup, I'll be swapping in 1ZZ injectors. I also will be adding a cheapo transmission fluid cooler. I'm also going to begin with oil cooling for the turbo. I hope to change/add water cooling at some point. I also really would like to add a water/meth injection system, but that's much further down the road. If anyone else has any other ideas for additional stuff, please let me know.

Oh and btw Garm - you owe me oil tap pics. Don't think for a second that I forgot
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 01:45 PM   #38
Focus_Sh1ft

Ok so EVERYTHING has been ordered. Gauges and the FIC are currently on the way, and I'm about to leave to go wire transfer the money to Zage.

August is gonna be a busy month.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #39
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
good luck!
PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:24 PM   #40
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
As for additional equipment to run with this turbocharger setup, I'll be swapping in 1ZZ injectors.
Do you have auto trans? If you don't, you definitely don't need this.

water cool the turbo!! It's two lines, and you will be glad you did.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:37 PM   #41
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

here you go:

Here is my oil return tap. We put it way high up, works great.

Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:16 PM   #42
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Do you have auto trans? If you don't, you definitely don't need this.

water cool the turbo!! It's two lines, and you will be glad you did.
I do have an automatic. Regarding fluid temperature, I'm going to get the gauge installed and monitor temps during normal driving conditions. I think I'm going to grab a transmission fluid cooler regardless though. I need to find a place to mount one first.

And I am planning on water cooling the turbo, but I may not right away. If I can figure out how to set it up while I'm doing the initial install then I definitely will.

Also - THANK YOU for the oil tap pics.
I'd rather turn that Zage oil pan into a cereal bowl before putting that thing on my car.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #43
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Ahhh you guys say it like you drill into the block itself. That looks like the upper oil pan instead.

You are not going to be pushing crazy boost or hauling hard loads, if the tranny is going to blow under stress it will blow regardless. Burning up the bands are from the it staying in the shift for too long or something getting glazed over or whatnots, you would have to check it, but hey any transmission cooler is better than no tranny cooler on EVERY car.

Do it right the first time.... the water lines are easier to run than the oil lines themselves. If you are using the ZAGE kit, it may come oil cooled only anyways and thats all it will ever be, no way to change that unless you change turbos.

If the oil pan comes with your kit, i may be willing to buy it from you if the yaris is still around at the time.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #44
Focus_Sh1ft

I get the feeling the transmission will be fine, but adding a cooler can only help. Plus, they're pretty cheap.

I'm pretty sure I read the Zage turbo can be water cooled, but I may have that mixed up with another turbo... I'll double check.

EDIT:
Can't find anything on it now...

I was wondering though, should I use higher octane fuel when I get this up and running? I understand the significance here, but would it actually be safer to retain the OEM suggested octane rating?

Last edited by Focus_Sh1ft; 07-30-2010 at 04:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 04:51 PM   #45
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

When turbo always use teh super grades. So most likely 93 in Jersey.. Turbo setups are more prone to detonation especially when you do not remove timing from the stock maps.
Old 07-30-2010, 06:22 PM   #46
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

91 here, definitely. you do NOT want detonation
Old 07-30-2010, 09:26 PM   #47
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
FINALLY got an email from Zage regarding my proposal. They're willing to do $1400 for the full kit so long as I provide some media regarding the install. Personally, I think this is incredibly fair and would only cost $50 extra than what I was originally planning to do (kit w/o turbo and pan, use ebay gt25). This will allow me to maintain a close relationship to customer service as well (atleast a rational person would expect this). SO, it looks like we're finally getting a test subject for this kit.

I'm going to bide my time for the next week or so, as I would really like to get some feedback from the guy who bought Yoda's kit. With what I know atm, I don't think fitment is going to be too difficult to account for, but I'm mostly worried about the quality of the turbocharger. I'm hoping worst case is that I have to replace it, but I'm worried about any sort of engine damage that may come with an explosion...

Regarding management, I've decided I will be using the AEM FIC afterall. I talked to cdydjded briefly and didn't realize he's only running fuel maps (with the car running perfectly fine). I figure it couldn't hurt to try hooking up a few of the other features and asking my tuner to attempt to get them working. Worst case they don't, but I get fuel maps which appears to be all I really need.

As for additional equipment to run with this turbocharger setup, I'll be swapping in 1ZZ injectors. I also will be adding a cheapo transmission fluid cooler. I'm also going to begin with oil cooling for the turbo. I hope to change/add water cooling at some point. I also really would like to add a water/meth injection system, but that's much further down the road. If anyone else has any other ideas for additional stuff, please let me know.

Oh and btw Garm - you owe me oil tap pics. Don't think for a second that I forgot
He did not prime the turbo at all. He just slapped it all together. As for fitment i forgot to ask about exactly what he did. The turbo that i got from them was only oil cooled only and was not ball bearing. If you have anymore questions ask away and i can see what i can dig up. O and i did say it only comes with installation pics right? Hope you have some help installing it and good luck
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:49 PM   #48
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
He did not prime the turbo at all. He just slapped it all together. As for fitment i forgot to ask about exactly what he did. The turbo that i got from them was only oil cooled only and was not ball bearing. If you have anymore questions ask away and i can see what i can dig up. O and i did say it only comes with installation pics right? Hope you have some help installing it and good luck

You just made my day sir. Thank you so much for getting him to talk. I feel so relieved knowing he didn't prime the turbo. If you can get a hold of him and ask about that fitment issue and his oil return setup (and whether or not the pan was used), I will invest my remaining cash into having a statue of you made. It will be placed in my front yard. It will be glorious.

Anyways, anybody have any ideas on how to prime the turbo on our cars? I understand what needs to be done but... how?

Garm - you use 91 octane? Am I correct in thinking more boost = higher octane needed?
Old 07-30-2010, 11:33 PM   #49
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ I tune up to 15 psi on 91 pump gas alone. Above that, need to turn on the water/meth.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:37 AM   #50
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

To prime we usually disconnect ECU connectors and crank it over for 5 secs a handful of times. Won't start that way until you put the ecu connectors back in
Old 07-31-2010, 01:31 PM   #51
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Please post pics of your install. Sound like a great price!
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 09:28 PM   #52
Focus_Sh1ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
Please post pics of your install. Sound like a great price!
Will do. I made a promise to Zage that I would anyway. There's going to be pictures + video during the install, steps taken, and a review at the end. I'll also be asking many questions here during the install as I have little experience with this.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:23 AM   #53
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
you will do fine
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #54
Focus_Sh1ft

Does the Yaris have a MAG or HALL type crank + cam sensor? Can't find this info anywheres

Last edited by Focus_Sh1ft; 08-02-2010 at 07:22 PM.