Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-03-2010, 10:34 AM   #55
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Something I never looked into, but most cars nowadays use HALL? Why would you need to know this anyways lol.

I am also wondering where the oil and coolant lines are going to go, for hopefully future reference of course. Would you use braided line, or would you go with the rubber hose i see alot of cars use
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #56
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I've had no trouble with rubber hose for my return line. I posted pics of the location recently.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #57
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
Does the Yaris have a MAG or HALL type crank + cam sensor? Can't find this info anywheres
The Yaris uses MAG type both for the crank & cam sensor. FYI MAG sensors typically are 2 wire & HALL sensors are typically 3 wire.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 11:49 PM   #58
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus1155 View Post
Something I never looked into, but most cars nowadays use HALL? Why would you need to know this anyways lol.

I am also wondering where the oil and coolant lines are going to go, for hopefully future reference of course. Would you use braided line, or would you go with the rubber hose i see alot of cars use
I need to know the sensor type for the FIC. And I'll be using a rubber hose for starters (it's part of the kit anyways).

Thanks cdydjded for confirming that too. I actually thought it was hall effect.

Now, here's the thing. I've been getting very familiar with the FIC install guide and have been debating what I want to do with it. I remember when I first began looking into forced induction, there was at least one mention in every thread about how much of a pain our ECU is due to its learning ability. Originally, I had planned to get the FIC to control as much as possible, but the more I think about it, I think it's the wrong approach. I'm aware that, in the least, I need to use the FIC to provide additional fuel during boost conditions. I admit my knowledge on ECUs is lacking, so I'm hoping you guys here (and my potential tuner) can shed some light on the following: will the ECU make an attempt to adjust timing / ignition / cam position etc. etc. when it sees boost conditions + additional fuel? Or will it rather trim fuel and try to maintain ideal conditions?

cdydjded, this is aimed mainly at you. I know you already told me you were only running fuel maps. However, I was reading one of your older threads recently and saw your plan for how the engine should run: stock without boost, FIC handles boost conditions. I couldn't agree more when it comes to reliability and overall effectiveness. Was this ever achieved?

Ultimately, my epiphany was that I could possibly use the ECU's learning capability to actually aid in having a proper tune, rather than it just being an enormous hassle. Lemme know what you guys think, I'm hoping to get it wired in this week.
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #59
cdydjded

cdydjded, this is aimed mainly at you. I know you already told me you were only running fuel maps. However, I was reading one of your older threads recently and saw your plan for how the engine should run: stock without boost, FIC handles boost conditions. I couldn't agree more when it comes to reliability and overall effectiveness. Was this ever achieved?
Yes it was
Old 08-05-2010, 12:03 AM   #60
Focus_Sh1ft

Thanks, I'll be taking the same route then.

Today I was poking around in the engine bay, scouting out places to place senders for gauges (and also installing a 1zz TB ). Figured out what I'll be doing with everything but the oil pressure gauge. I really can't get at the engine oil pressure assembly. Literally 10 minutes ago, this idea hit me: http://www.glowshiftdirect.com/oilfi...-34unf-16.aspx

Couldn't I use this as a place to receive oil pressure readings AND use as an oil return line for the turbo? It would be installed such that gravity would still return oil properly. My only concern is the filter would be having additional oil dumped in at all times. I'm pretty sure it's not an issue, but could clogging potentially happen?
Old 08-05-2010, 12:39 AM   #61
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
The oil filter it pressurized. You can only return oil to the pan. Once you have the oil pan off, it's really easy to just drill and tap the block for one. But you could feed the turbo from that plate.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #62
cdydjded

Are you still going to use the AEM FIC?
Old 08-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #63
Focus_Sh1ft

Planning to install it tomorrow actually. I'm going to hook up injector ins/outs as well as power and ground of course.
Old 08-10-2010, 07:14 PM   #64
cdydjded

Quote:
Planning to install it tomorrow actually. I'm going to hook up injector ins/outs as well as power and ground of course.
Good deal. Just to let you know, mount the AEM FIC in the car not in the engine bay. Since it has a built in map sensor that works off of absolute pressure the temp in the engine bay will affect it drastically....
Old 08-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #65
Focus_Sh1ft

Today I went to go wire the FIC up, but got kinda confused... This ECM pinout I'm using has got me all sort of confuzzled. Check it out here:
http://www.powerenterpriseusa.net/pr...risControl.pdf

Firstly, everything has two different wires listed and I have no idea what the acronyms stand for. So basically, I have no clue which wires I should be using to tap/intercept. It looks like some things are listed as + and -, while others aren't. Here's what I think needs to be done...

FIC Power - A21-1 or A21-2
FIC Gnd - C20-104
Injector 1 - C20-108
Injector 2 - C20-107
Injector 3 - C20-106
Injector 4 - C20-105
MAF+ - C20-118
MAF- - C20-116

The thing is, even for the injectors, C20-45 is listed next to all of them and I don't understand why? Enlighten me pleeeease. In the mean time, I need a beer.

... and aloe.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #66
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
can't help you but i am rooting for ya m8
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 07:00 PM   #67
Focus_Sh1ft

Thanks a bunch man.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:44 PM   #68
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
That C20-45 is probably your common sensor ground. It's separate to the ECU ground.

Not to put you down on wiring (because I love doing wiring. No joke.) but I'm glad my ECU is under the dash and not the hood.

Last edited by Bluevitz-rs; 08-12-2010 at 12:35 AM.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:28 AM   #69
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
cdyjdjeded can probably help you he's got his wired correctly. Try a PM request
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:02 AM   #70
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Quote:
Today I went to go wire the FIC up, but got kinda confused... This ECM pinout I'm using has got me all sort of confuzzled. Check it out here:
http://www.powerenterpriseusa.net/pr...risControl.pdf

Firstly, everything has two different wires listed and I have no idea what the acronyms stand for. So basically, I have no clue which wires I should be using to tap/intercept. It looks like some things are listed as + and -, while others aren't. Here's what I think needs to be done...

FIC Power - A21-1 or A21-2
FIC Gnd - C20-104
Injector 1 - C20-108
Injector 2 - C20-107
Injector 3 - C20-106
Injector 4 - C20-105
MAF+ - C20-118
MAF- - C20-116

The thing is, even for the injectors, C20-45 is listed next to all of them and I don't understand why? Enlighten me pleeeease. In the mean time, I need a beer.

... and aloe.

Each injector has a common wire which is the POWER wire that goes directly to IGNITION +12V or else to the ecu 12V power (same condition). This is probably the C20-45. If you have a multimeter, do a continuity check from the injector common wire (this should have the same color on all injectors) to the positive terminal of the battery while ignition is on to confirm this.

The other injector wire is ground connected to individual ecu output ( in your case C20-105 to C20-108. The ecu activates the specific injector at a point in time by grounding these wires to make a complete circuit.

Regarding the MAF I cannot help you since I always work with MAP sensors which work with vacuum.

Fortunately for you I am almost doing a fresh engine management install so I am pretty sure I know this is the right route. So ask and I try to help you as much as I can.

IF you have an echo or yaris 2001 - 2005 the connectors on that manual do not match since I tried it myself. I didn't found a manual for mine so I had to cut all sensor wiring and connected them directly to the new ecu myself.
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:18 PM   #71
Focus_Sh1ft

Thanks for the input guys. I definitely would like to hear from cdydjded on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmas View Post
Each injector has a common wire which is the POWER wire that goes directly to IGNITION +12V or else to the ecu 12V power (same condition). This is probably the C20-45. If you have a multimeter, do a continuity check from the injector common wire (this should have the same color on all injectors) to the positive terminal of the battery while ignition is on to confirm this.

The other injector wire is ground connected to individual ecu output ( in your case C20-105 to C20-108. The ecu activates the specific injector at a point in time by grounding these wires to make a complete circuit.

Regarding the MAF I cannot help you since I always work with MAP sensors which work with vacuum.

Fortunately for you I am almost doing a fresh engine management install so I am pretty sure I know this is the right route. So ask and I try to help you as much as I can.

IF you have an echo or yaris 2001 - 2005 the connectors on that manual do not match since I tried it myself. I didn't found a manual for mine so I had to cut all sensor wiring and connected them directly to the new ecu myself.
I'll be doing a continuity check to confirm C20-45's function. However, it's clear that C20-105 to C20-108 are the wires that need to be intercepted for the injectors. At this point, I feel pretty confident I had the right wires so I think I'm gonna give it another shot. The only part that is unclear is which power source wire needs to be tapped. I doubt it matters though because both the conditions and specified conditions are the exact same.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:24 PM   #72
cdydjded

Give me a chance to find my install notes & Ill help you out......