Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #11
Calidrifter

Drives: 1997 Nissan 240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisHatch
As i stated before, the trd turbo will not work with the usdm 1nz motors. The japan 1.5l's they use are a different engine code, different sensors, totally different ecu and their gas is much different. Why does this matter? The trd turbo puts out 136whp on the 1.5l bB, however that is with 101octane. Sounds so high here in the states but yeah, makes a huge difference. Point? Even if you could manage to run with it (impossible with the motor and usdm ecu) you wouldn't see gains above 30whp, i.e 110whp.

As a general rule, turbos are about the same if not more expensive than a supercharger. Also maintanence is much higher on a turbo than a supercharger. Very rare do you not have to tune a kit even if it does come "pre tuned" with a piggy back system. Even so, after a while tune ups are a must. Worth it? Turbos almost always make more power per psi than a supercharger. Design is everything when it comes to boost.

Yeah but a supecharger is constant hp throught the band and you do't get turbo lag. Also with any turbo upgrade if you plan on running over 7 psi you WILL need to get new internals. And from whtaI have been hearing the 1NZ has pretty weak internals already, so don't be surprised to see some dumb kids in here with a ""I blew up my engine" thread in here.
Calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote