Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2010, 06:50 PM   #1
marco_george

Drives: 2010 Liftback 4 door
Stock HU Remote Toggle Switch Wiring Question

Hey everyone, I've been surfing for a bit and wanna say this is an awesome forum. I've learned so much from just reading.

OK, quick question, I'm wiring a sub and amp to my stock headunit using a line out converter. I realize that I'm gonna wire a toggle switch with the remote wire to the center console because I have some slots there, next to my aux jack and locks (2010 Yaris Liftback, base). The thing is, I have absolutely no idea how to wire a toggle switch to the remote line to a 12v source. How would I go about doing this so I have a bass killswitch in the center console?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...le-Switch.html

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

^That's my aux jack label, there's a few wires, red white, black I think. Do I hook up the switch to one of those? THe switch looks like it has two wires, one red and one black. Stupid Question: How does the switch work?
marco_george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
why do you want to use a switch when you have the remote from the amp? to turn it on and off? I'm sorry if my question makes no sense but I'm trying to help; but I don't understand why the switch?
Old 12-12-2010, 10:59 PM   #3
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
I wired a switch on my sub amp as well, the main reason is so that i can cut the sub off if my daughter is in the back seat, and still be able to run the other half of my system. On my switch i had two terminals, I wired my remote wire comming from the deck to one side, which will be the constant power, and the other terminal ran to the amp, which is what is controlled by the on and off function of the switch. I'm pretty sure the switch you bought has directions or is labeled on the back as to what goes where, if not take a picture of the wires or the bottom of the switch and we can help you further on how to wire it.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 01:06 AM   #4
marco_george

Sorry if my post was unclear.

@derickveliz2 Because I have a stock HU, there is no wire for the remote on the amp. I want to be able to turn the bass off completely, which you can do with an aftermarket stereo but not with the stock one.

So my understanding is that I need to run one terminal from a 12v source to the switch and then another terminal to my amp then?

How can I tell which wires are 12v power wires? Are they basically the red ones? For example, in the center console there's the locks and the aux jack. There's at least one 12v wire I can run my switch off of in there right?

Thanks s7v7n, the switch part makes sense now. It's basically just something in the middle of the remote wire right?
Old 12-13-2010, 01:29 AM   #5
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Thumbs up

Ok, I got it, you are talking about the wire that turns on/off the amp, I thought it was an extra switch with the "Remote" some amps come with a gain remote.

My son actually asked me to crank the volume up, he loves the Bass, and he tells me... "Papa, my seat sounds and moves too" don't get me wrong I keep it at descent volume levels to protect his ears. But any way he likes it and he is only 4.

I say just low the "BASS" in your OEM head unit.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:02 PM   #6
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
The wires are whatever the engineer decided to throw in the car, sometimes the "hot" or powered wired are pink , yellow, orange, just depends, your best bet is to either use a light tester or a DMM (Digital Multi Meter ) and the Main thing you'll want to look for is a Schematic for our Yaris, which will tell you what the wires in that area do.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
marco_george

Dang, I can't seem to find a wiring schematic. If that's the case, is there some well known 12v source on the 2010 yaris that I could piggyback off of?

Like an ignition wire or something?
Old 12-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You can use the gray wire on the blue connector on the radio. That's the ignition switched power feed to the radio.