Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-02-2012, 02:58 AM   #1
escotric

Drives: Toyota Yaris
Did I get ripped off?

Sound:

(1) Pioneer TS-W308D4
(1) Flat 12" Sub Box
(1) Autotek ATX 1000.2 (1000 watt amp)
(1) Autobanh AKIT10J Wiring Kit
(1) Scorpion CLO8A (Hi To Low Adaptor)
(1) Scorpion TSM-2 switch
Installation labor included

Windows:

Full 7 window Tint. Lifetime Warranty.

Total : $417.50

So did I get ripped off?

thx
escotric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Sounds like a good deal to me...Thats equipment, install and window tinting?
Old 02-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
The only Major concern i would have is the amp kit they sold you.

Lets Look at this Graph i got off of KnuKonceptz website, it's a good reference.

Okay where it says Amperage on the Left side of the chart, that's the Fuses on your amp or amps. I believe that Autotek has (2) 30 amp fuses so if you add them up it's 60 Amps.

Your kit comes with 20 Ft of 10 Gauge Power wire, For our little cars we may use about 10 Ft. That would be the Bottom Number on the chart.

So when you cross that the smallest gauge wire recommended would be 8 Gauge. Okay now you make think the site is just biased towards selling you there products, lets look at the actual product description of your Amp Kit

I pulled the info from here : http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...n-AKIT10J.html

Product Features

10 Gauge Amplifier Installation Kit
Designed specifically for car audio systems up to 200 watts
Premium power and ground wire provides optimal power transfer
Made from 100% oxygen-free copper for a pure uninterrupted transfer of power
Includes 2-channel RCA interconnect cables for the audio signal connection from the receiver to the amplifier
Terminals are nickel-plated for excellent signal transfer
AGU Fuse holder offers ideal protection for low powered systems
Authorized Internet Dealer
1-year Manufacturer's warranty

Package Includes:

20 Ft. Transparent blue 10 AWG power wire
12 Ft. Transparent 16 AWG speaker wire
18 Ft. Transparent twisted signal cable
16 Ft. Blue 18 AWG remote turn-on wire
3 Ft. Transparent silver 10 AWG ground wire
6 Ft. Black split loom
100 Amp AGU fuse
AGU Fuse holder
Terminals, Screws, Connectors and Cable Ties

See even the manufacture rates there amp kit Very low on the wattage.

For that sub and the load it's putting on the amp the amp kit is fine for now, but if you ever added another sub I'd worry.

In the end how do you feel about your system ? Is it what you wanted or do you want it Louder ? Did the place who did you system give you any type of warranty with there work ? Are they going to back the manufactures 1 year warranty ? Did they give you all the paperwork that comes with the amp and subs ?

You didn't get ripped off but if the answer is no to all of the above then you may have an issue in the future if anything ever goes wrong with one of the components in you system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (182.8 KB, 134 views)

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
_S7V7N_

I was Wrong on the fuse rating of the amp but in there product description check out the Red :

Info from :www.sonicelectronix.com/item_33182_Autotek-ATX1000.2.html

Autotek ATX1000.2 2-Channel ATX Series Amplifier

Sonic Electronix is now carrying the new 2011 line of Autotek ATX Series Amplifiers. These amps come in Monoblock, 2-Channel, and 4-Channel configurations as well as numerous different power ratings. Each one these Autotek ATX amplifiers feature a flat panel heatsink design, soft turn on circuit, 4-way protection circuitry, LED power & protect indicators, and much more.

The ATX1000.2 version has an MAXX power rating of 250 watts x 2-channels wired at 4 ohms and 500 watts x 2-channels wired at 2 ohms. It is equipped with nickel plated RCA level inputs & screw terminals and is powered by a MOSFET power supply. The ATX Series amps have a wide variety of power and channel configurations for you to chose from.
Product Features

2-Channel Class AB ATX Series Car Amplifier
MAXX Power Rating:
4 ohms: 250 watts x 2 chan.
2 ohms: 500 watts x 2 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 1000 watts x 1 chan.
Pulse Width Modulated MOSFET power supply
LED power green and protect red indicators
Bass Boost (0-12 dB @ 45 Hz)
Soft Start Turn-on
2 or Mono channel operation
Speaker-level (high-level) inputs with signal sensing for automatic turn-on
Preamp RCA outputs to daisy chain multiple amps
4-Way System Protection circuitry (DC, thermal, overload, and speaker short protection)
Flat panel heatsink design for extreme heat dissipation
Nickel-Plated RCA level inputs
Nickel-Plated screw terminals
Variable High-Pass Filter (60-1200 Hz)
Variable Low-Pass Filter (30-250 Hz)
Subsonic Filter (60-1200 Hz)
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: >95 dB
Damping Factor: >200
THD (Total Harmonic Distortion): <0.05%
Channel Separation: >70 dB
Variable Input Level Control: 0.2V-5V
Fuse Rating: 2 x 15 Amp
Frequency Response: 30-45,000 Hz
Dimensions: 9-7/8"L x 9-3/4"W x 2-3/16"H
4-gauge power and ground wiring is required for installation. Contact us for information regarding a discount on select amplifier kits when purchased together with this amplifier.
Authorized Internet Dealer
1-year Manufacturer's warranty

Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
Old 02-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #5
escotric

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
Sounds like a good deal to me...Thats equipment, install and window tinting?
Yeah. I asked the guy since I'm a traffic instructor, lets do a bundle deal with system and tints. (Other local well known tinter quoted 250 for just strictly tints)

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post

For that sub and the load it's putting on the amp the amp kit is fine for now, but if you ever added another sub I'd worry.

In the end how do you feel about your system ? Is it what you wanted or do you want it Louder ? Did the place who did you system give you any type of warranty with there work ? Are they going to back the manufactures 1 year warranty ? Did they give you all the paperwork that comes with the amp and subs ?

You didn't get ripped off but if the answer is no to all of the above then you may have an issue in the future if anything ever goes wrong with one of the components in you system.
Thank for the info and appreciate the knowledge. They provided me brand new boxes of everything still sealed with certificate inside.

I will follow up with the dealer today in providing me thicker wires or a 5 year warranty on top.

In terms of hustling back (They already gave me the boxes and I left, installation is this Saturday) I want to receive thicker wires and a warranty for either cheap or free. What would be the approach?

Thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #6
_S7V7N_

On the tint they usually offer Lifetime warranty as long as it's the original owner of the vehicle, and it's if the tint fades or bubbles.

On the Audio equipment just see if they're gonna Honor the Standard 1 year Manufactures Warranty, and back up there installation. I honestly don't see your amp or sub malfunctioning in that time period but it's more of a " peace of mind" type of thing knowing they stand by the product(s) they sell.

What i would say is " I want a sturdy foundation if i ever decided to build on the existing components you are installing in my vehicle" because with the wiring they're providing you , you're going to have to buy a whole new amp kit along with whatever you're upgrading if you ever decide to. Kind of put it in a nice firm way " Lets do this right the first time . "

If i can recommend you an amp kit that's is pretty decently priced here's the link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=A1NLNJ4Y2QP8Z

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...?prodID=KCA-K4

Take your time and read the reviews. I can see them charging you $50 - $75 for that gauge wiring, if they do that then i'd just take another week and order that kit from Amazon. Don't rush and be Patient ! If you have any other questions feel free to ask we're here to help.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
escotric

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
On the tint they usually offer Lifetime warranty as long as it's the original owner of the vehicle, and it's if the tint fades or bubbles.

On the Audio equipment just see if they're gonna Honor the Standard 1 year Manufactures Warranty, and back up there installation. I honestly don't see your amp or sub malfunctioning in that time period but it's more of a " peace of mind" type of thing knowing they stand by the product(s) they sell.

What i would say is " I want a sturdy foundation if i ever decided to build on the existing components you are installing in my vehicle" because with the wiring they're providing you , you're going to have to buy a whole new amp kit along with whatever you're upgrading if you ever decide to. Kind of put it in a nice firm way " Lets do this right the first time . "

If i can recommend you an amp kit that's is pretty decently priced here's the link

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=A1NLNJ4Y2QP8Z

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...?prodID=KCA-K4

Take your time and read the reviews. I can see them charging you $50 - $75 for that gauge wiring, if they do that then i'd just take another week and order that kit from Amazon. Don't rush and be Patient ! If you have any other questions feel free to ask we're here to help.

Thanks for the prompt response. I'll be following up with these guys.

Thanks again for the advice.

Regards,
Old 02-03-2012, 05:38 PM   #8
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
Yeah I have a 60 watt rms per channel amp for the fronts and 225 rms for the sub in back and I still ran 4 guage. MFG's have funny ways of giving ratings on their power.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:30 PM   #9
_S7V7N_

Old 02-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #10
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I have KNukonceptz 0/1 going to my amp,it is very good wire,so flexable you can tie it in a knot,but it has lasted 4 years now and has no problems.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:23 AM   #11
_S7V7N_

I'll switch my wire to Knu's brand this year, I've used a few different of the cheaper brands and the majority of the time they have a thick jacket and not so much wire.

I would like to see the wire in the 10 gauge kit they sold to the OP, Just out of curiosity .

Old 02-04-2012, 01:03 AM   #12
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I have this

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDe...?prodID=KFX0BK

20' length that I cut 3' off to make the ground wire,it goes from battery and along firewall to passenger side and then up the pasenger side to the amp connection on the drivers side.

It is very heavy wire,20' weighs in at little over 9lbs.....doesn't seem like a lot till you pick up the roll...lol

It really freaks out people when you tie it in a knot too.
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 01:38 AM   #13
_S7V7N_

What type of system you have Bzinn ?

Amps
Subs
Deck
Components