Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #595
scioncrew

Drives: SCION tC
Send a message via AIM to scioncrew
good to hear you found the problem
07 Toyota Yaris 357hp 12.80@107mph
scioncrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #596
packetrace

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Do not double think go standalone.
are you standalone ?
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Performance :MI CrankPulley, Tein springs, UR and TRD bar, TURBO IN PROGRESS
Audio : Pionner DEH-80PRS, HAT L1V2, PowerBass 1100.5X 5 channel amp
packetrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #597
packetrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by pimp my yaris View Post
I made a mistake in thinking my AFR was fluctucation. It turns out the were fluctuating because of the missfire. When the missfire occurs the afr went rich because of unburned fuel in the exhaust. I made some progress and its running pretty good after retarding timing a bit farther. Its pulling hard on the highway WOW!! Also Im going to need a new boost guage. Also I seriously need a external wastegate setup. I need to organize a Turbo 5K walk for my car. Gotta raise funds.
I called Ptunning about the turbo manafold I was looking at, and they said they have none in stock and it would take at least a month to make one. I was a little dissapointed. I am holding off on the order for now and rethinking this.
ohhhh niceee man!!!
Exterior:RTX scorpion painted GOLD, side and rear visor, oem spoiler, MI mesh grill, Hella supertone horn, RS badge, Vios badge, CF pillar, Led mirror cover, fog light HID 3000k, Projector retrofit HID 8000K
Old 09-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #598
Yoda

Drives: 2008 Black Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by packetrace View Post
are you standalone ?
Nope not yet but once I have the funds most deff
Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #599
Yoda

I looked at the pt mani and just didn't like having my turbo exposed to the open environment. It rains a lot here in Florida. I know Garm has manifolds too did u check with him? What turbo are you runnin now?
Old 09-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #600
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
The on-board map sensor is good for ~22psi.
Running MAP in the southeast, south, and southwest is much easier with it since its based off of a fuel curve that is programed into the ECU or Piggyback and it does not change. So basically, your fuel map never changes no matter what the air conditions are outside (dense, thin, wet, dry, etc). I don't know enough about MAP setups yet to do much more than sound dangerous, but going off what i have learned so far using your car for a racing application would easily justify going MAP since the car many times isn't a DD for most folks, but in this case it is his DD. He would need a 2 BAR Stainless Steel Sensor Kit which are over 100 bucks and then he would need to modify his piping or even replace a section so it is another investment for sure. IMHO if you are going to make the change and investment to go MAP then you are better off ditching the FIC to go full standalone since you are looking to optimize for higher boost and the FIC just doesn't protect your investment. It seems the FIC is for folks wanting to use low boost which traditionally won't put your engine in much for danger of blowing up compared to medium/high boost. 8-10psi is fun as it is on the roads so I would think that 15-18psi is more giggles for sure when at the wheel so being patient at that point rather than risk further time/money makes more sense. I am not sure what most would consider FI changing from a hobby build to serious is since it is subjective based upon the driver and the vehicle, but to me going over 15psi is getting serious.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #601
Yoda

Not sure I understand what this is in reference to. He doesn't need a kit of any kind if he stays below~22psi. The FIC can handle that level just fine.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:03 PM   #602
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Not sure I understand what this is in reference to. He doesn't need a kit of any kind if he stays below~22psi. The FIC can handle that level just fine.
Right, but you would be crazy to not have the Inlet Temp Sensor along with it. Sure, it has MAP built right in, but that is a static setting. You configure MAP instead of MAF, but MAP has no way to adjust for air density changes, in-climate weather, etc. The only way for the ability to have "on the fly" adjustment is with the Inlet Sensor being place too. Someone would be forever fiddling with the configurations throughout the year in northern states or Canada because of this. How is the FIC going to know inlet density/temps/humidity without an inlet sensor?

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:55 PM   #603
Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnkngrv View Post
Running MAP in the southeast, south, and southwest is much easier with it since its based off of a fuel curve that is programed into the ECU or Piggyback and it does not change. So basically, your fuel map never changes no matter what the air conditions are outside (dense, thin, wet, dry, etc). I don't know enough about MAP setups yet to do much more than sound dangerous, but going off what i have learned so far using your car for a racing application would easily justify going MAP since the car many times isn't a DD for most folks, but in this case it is his DD. He would need a 2 BAR Stainless Steel Sensor Kit which are over 100 bucks and then he would need to modify his piping or even replace a section so it is another investment for sure. IMHO if you are going to make the change and investment to go MAP then you are better off ditching the FIC to go full standalone since you are looking to optimize for higher boost and the FIC just doesn't protect your investment. It seems the FIC is for folks wanting to use low boost which traditionally won't put your engine in much for danger of blowing up compared to medium/high boost. 8-10psi is fun as it is on the roads so I would think that 15-18psi is more giggles for sure when at the wheel so being patient at that point rather than risk further time/money makes more sense. I am not sure what most would consider FI changing from a hobby build to serious is since it is subjective based upon the driver and the vehicle, but to me going over 15psi is getting serious.
I know all about the temp difference and if you really have extreme varying weather then sure the sensor is nice to have. But you are implying that some change or investment is needed to use the MAP sensor. I am saying there is no investment needed it comes with the unit. The MAF sensor cant handle the boost that high. Many have tuned up to 20 psi for years with no problem. They have their winter tune and a summer tune. Switch between the two and you are set. Still a standalone unit is much better all round but for what he is using it for, FIC all the way.
Maybe i am misunderstanding something.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #604
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
Quote:
I looked at the pt mani and just didn't like having my turbo exposed to the open environment. It rains a lot here in Florida. I know Garm has manifolds too did u check with him? What turbo are you runnin now?
Actually it doesn't have to be exposed, I chose to remove the cowl for ventilation. I put it back on in the fall to keep leaves out. On customers builds I leave it on, some trimming needed.

7301747898_22cf7ec549_b.jpg

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #605
Yoda

That's awesome to know! Do you get to keep your AC lines and would it fit in the Yaris bay. Really like your mani design.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:55 PM   #606
packetrace

just awesome!!! what engine management do you normally uses ? piggy back ?
Old 09-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #607
Blown_xa

Drives: Scion xA
If anyone is interested in the manifold e mail Andrew@ptuning.com

Ptuning.com
Blown_xa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 08:47 PM   #608
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

Drives: 2009 2 door hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blown_xa View Post
If anyone is interested in the manifold e mail Andrew@ptuning.com
I called about the manifold he said it would take a month to make one. If U had it in stock I would have bought one. You should keep a couple on the shelf. Im still liking it, mabe for spring. Dont want to swap it out in the cold.
pimp my yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:01 PM   #609
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

I recently had a huge loss in power while tuning at 19 psi of boost. I thought it was a clogged converter or muffler. Possibly a boost leak or BOV not closing. That was all wrong, it turns out I had a mass air flow sensor trouble code. I could not see it because my CEL is on all the time because my 02s sensors are disconnected. I cleared the code and the problem is fixed. Back to full power. I may need to adjust my MAF clamp voltage.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:01 AM   #610
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Probably an out of range code and it went to default values.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:58 AM   #611
packetrace

The ptuning maniold on their website does not look equal lenght ?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #612
pimp my yaris
C'est la vie

I think its about as close as you can get woth the space under the hood. I have seen one other but it required relocating the battery. And was over 2000$. I like the turbo above the valve cover. Looks cool and will make the exhaust much straighter and easier to fabricate.