Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-04-2011, 04:10 AM   #1
bad
Winterizing

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
tpms

Was about to buy snow tires then tire rack said my car requires tpms sensors in my tires. I didn't think my car had pressure sensing. How can I tell if this is true? Does it cost more? thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:29 AM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
You mean with new rims? Yes if you have tpms you will need sensors in the rims.

I think you can look for the tpms icon (like check engine and abs) when you turn on the ignition before starting.

That or let 15 psi out of one tire and see if you get a warning.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:24 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You can tell if your current ones do by looking at the valve stem. If it is all rubber then they don't. If they have metal where the stem meets the rim, then they do.

My TPWS bypass mod allows an easy method of having a second set of rims without having a second set of sensors. Otherwise, when you swap rims you have to go to a tire place and have them reprogram the TPWS to learn the other set of sensors (our TPWS can only remember one set of four sensors at a time).

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11058
Old 12-04-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
enviri

Drives: 2010 Yaris
TPMS isnt needed to keep the car running. You'll either have the (!) light show up all the time, or do the bypass mod above and forget about it.
enviri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:36 AM   #5
Nanook

Drives: 2011 3dr hatch
Your car is a 2008, so u do have TPMS it is federally mandated for all 2008 US model and above. But like previously stated u can drive without them,just have to deal with the annoying light and chime at start up.
Nanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Scubaru Steve
Awesome!

Drives: 12 Yaris/07 yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
You can tell if your current ones do by looking at the valve stem. If it is all rubber then they don't. If they have metal where the stem meets the rim, then they do.

My TPWS bypass mod allows an easy method of having a second set of rims without having a second set of sensors. Otherwise, when you swap rims you have to go to a tire place and have them reprogram the TPWS to learn the other set of sensors (our TPWS can only remember one set of four sensors at a time).

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11058
there are sensors we use to clone the factory sensors. so you never have to relearn them.
Scubaru Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 10:04 PM   #7
bad
Winterizing

Thanks guys I'm gonna take a closer look tomorrow.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:01 AM   #8
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
hey just yesterday i put air in all my tires filled them all up to 34 psi cold (195/55/15) stock steelies everything was fine before i put air in and also for one day after i filled them up. then was on the highway today (christmas day) and noticed the tpms dash light came on i checked but none of the tires looked low the car sat for a few hours light was still on for the ride home i checked pressure and obvi the pressure was higher im guessing that it goes up when the tires heat up so i let out air so they were about at 32-33 psi when hot . would any of this cause the sensor light to come on ie having too much air or would it have to do with the spare ? does that have a sensor in it ? if anyone has any ideas that would be cool thanks everybody
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewai View Post
hey just yesterday i put air in all my tires filled them all up to 34 psi cold (195/55/15) stock steelies everything was fine before i put air in and also for one day after i filled them up. then was on the highway today (christmas day) and noticed the tpms dash light came on i checked but none of the tires looked low the car sat for a few hours light was still on for the ride home i checked pressure and obvi the pressure was higher im guessing that it goes up when the tires heat up so i let out air so they were about at 32-33 psi when hot . would any of this cause the sensor light to come on ie having too much air or would it have to do with the spare ? does that have a sensor in it ? if anyone has any ideas that would be cool thanks everybody
The spare doesn't have a sensor it it.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:01 AM   #10
Nanook

Look on the door jam. Mine needs to be filled to 37psi. I also think that for my Jeep will ding/illuminate the TPMS light when the pressure drops -3 under the recommended setting.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #11
matthewai

well the problem here is that the pressure never dropped it only went up (when the tires heated up) then i let some air our and the light still stayed on is it possible the light would go on for to much pressure ? its just frustrating cuz these are brand new tires and they are obvi not loosing air cuz when i got the car back from having them put on all was well but they werent all the same psi (lazy fuggin grease monkeys cant even fill up tires to the same pressure all around) 1 was like 30 1 was 35 1 was 32 ect....its just bullshit so i put air in them then the light comes on a day later what the hell hahah
Old 12-26-2011, 12:10 PM   #12
matthewai

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewai View Post
well the problem here is that the pressure never dropped it only went up (when the tires heated up) then i let some air our and the light still stayed on is it possible the light would go on for to much pressure ? its just frustrating cuz these are brand new tires and they are obvi not loosing air cuz when i got the car back from having them put on all was well but they werent all the same psi (lazy fuggin grease monkeys cant even fill up tires to the same pressure all around) 1 was like 30 1 was 35 1 was 32 ect....its just bullshit so i put air in them then the light comes on a day later what the hell hahah
okay i just woke up when i wrote this maybe a little harsh i guess this might just be something with the car that happens like a common problem once the car gets older ? (got oct 010 and it has about 19k) but i still have stock parts that only have like 1k on them
Old 12-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
bad
Winterizing

Matt, look in the door frame for recommended psi requirements and fill to them. I do, and I don't get a light. I think you might be filling too much, but I could be wrong.

P.S. Thanks to everyone who answered my prior questions in this thread. I worked it out and I'm gonna deal with the low psi light during the winter and not pay for sensors.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:45 PM   #14
matthewai

i mean i will check it out but thats prob the rating for stock tires i have 195/55/15
Old 12-27-2011, 07:32 PM   #15
Nanook

The rating is for the stock tires. I would imagine you could take it to the Toyota dealership and have them re-flash the computer for the pressure you want to run. That is what we do in the Jeep world, or buy a programmer and change it ourselves. Did you do a chalk test to determine what pressure?
Old 12-27-2011, 07:36 PM   #16
matthewai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanook View Post
Did you do a chalk test to determine what pressure?
no but what in the world is that ?? hah
Old 12-27-2011, 07:46 PM   #17
Nanook

The chalk test is when you put a thick line of chalk across your tire. Drive in a straight line for a few hundred feet. Examine the line, if it is worn mostly in the middle the tire is over inflated. If the chalk is worn on the outsides then the tire is under inflated. Once you get an evenly worn chalk line that should be the optimal psi.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:35 PM   #18
matthewai

awesome