Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-19-2015, 10:01 PM   #1
ISOTOPES4

Drives: 2013 3 door
Wrecked my 2013 Yaris today!! no airbag deployment?????

I am pretty sure it is a total loss. I rear ended an old Silverado. I estimate i was going around 30, and he was almost at a complete stop. Crazy thing is....my airbag(s) didnt deploy. It hit hard enough to crumple the hood, and push the drivers side fender back far enough that it causes the driver door to not open properly. The passenger side also was pushed back, but not as far, although something did cause the lower right passenger side windshield to crack. Both fenders are gone. one headlight is damaged (the brackets not the lens) the radiator supports are gone, and the radiator/condenser/cooling fan are all pushed back into the engine block. The coolant did leak out from under the car following the accident. Also one of the wiring connections (presumably for turn signal/headlight) was ripped out, and its been moved far enough so the wire isnt long enough to reach anymore. I estimate the support is caved in 8-10 inches on the drivers side.

Any ideas why the airbag didnt deploy? Ive heard Toyota airbags have a tendancy not to. I know wrecker drivers arent body guys/engineers, but he, the cops that came, myself, and a few gearhead friends were shocked.

From the damage do you guys think its totaled? Its a base model L no power windows. it also has 136K miles

ISOTOPES4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:04 PM   #2
Tgawe

Drives: 2013 Toyota Yaris
There seems to be a few complaints about the Yaris not deploying the airbags in situations it seemingly should have over on NHTSA. Seems to be a recurring problem.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...od_ids=1534819
Tgawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Generally the sensors are placed in a position and set to a sensitivity to essentially deploy in situations were the capability of crumple zones to protect the occupants will be exceeded. This is to prevent the costs and inherent injuries that go along with airbag deployment when it is not really required.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:39 PM   #4
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Sorry that happened, isotopes. Hope everyone is alright. Judging by the damage and miles, I'd assume it's going to be totaled.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Glad to hear you're okay, despite the questionable airbags (been there myself).

I'm sorry to say it though, but this is a total loss due to very soft crumple zones at both ends.

Hope you got have better luck finding another Yaris, if not similar.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:32 PM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I have disassembled enough wrecked ones to say that I am not surprised that yours did not deploy.

The primary impact was on the center of the bumper crash bar and much of it was above it. The front impact sensors are mounted to the bumper crash bar supports, so much of the impact would have been absorbed by the diffused center hit and not transferred out to the sensors.

How fast were you going when you hit it and what was the nature of the crash (other vehicle was starting to move when you hit it, it was sitting still, you braked, but slid into it, etc?)

I am pretty sure they will total it, but I would be able to put that one back on the road for under $2000.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:01 PM   #7
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
It looks fixable. Question is always whether it is worth it and the insurance company will probably say no to a base line car with 136,000 miles.

As for airbag, this could very well be intentional by Toyota. In that impact, it looks like seat belts were enough to keep you safe. The airbags going off can actually add more of a chance for injury in a crash of this level, especially for women. Airbags are very high impact. You don't want it going off unless necessary.

Also, are you using this as a courier or something? 136K on a 2013? Wow.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:16 AM   #8
LugNut

Drives: 2007 2DR Liftback
I agree -- looks fixable, but the economics are iffy. It could be the camera angles, etc., but I don't like the look of the angle of that right rear tire. I'd definitely put it on a frame machine if I were thinking about fixing it.

However, consider finding a new-used Yaris and transferring over your parts to it and parting out the rest. When declared totalled, insurance companies generally will sell the car back to you for typically 10% or so. The tow and storage fees could be brutal though.
LugNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:48 AM   #9
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Maybe its a good thing they didn't deploy.

You can be badly injured by airbag deployment especially if your arms/hands aren't at 3 and9 oclock on the wheel.

When my engineer brother found out airbags can kill people sometimes he designed airbags that always kill people. They are to be used a 7 11s in the event of a robbery. Stand on the designated spot and the clerk hits a button, instantly killing the guy with a gun.

He was really miffed when 911 happened, realizing his idea could have killed the terrorists as they entered the cockpit.

If you weren't hurt then one could say the system worked as designed.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:16 AM   #10
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Maybe its a good thing they didn't deploy.

You can be badly injured by airbag deployment especially if your arms/hands aren't at 3 and9 oclock on the wheel.

When my engineer brother found out airbags can kill people sometimes he designed airbags that always kill people. They are to be used a 7 11s in the event of a robbery. Stand on the designated spot and the clerk hits a button, instantly killing the guy with a gun.

He was really miffed when 911 happened, realizing his idea could have killed the terrorists as they entered the cockpit.

If you weren't hurt then one could say the system worked as designed.
Please tell me you're just kidding. Malfunctions happen with everything and I don't want to be the guy that goes in for some Ben & Jerry's chocolate fudge brownie and it end up being the last thing I do. That's literally like standing in front of a gun that's hot.
Old 10-30-2015, 01:10 PM   #11
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
The killer air bag has never been approved for commercial use.

So youre safe!

Unless of course you get shot at 7 11 in the course of a stick up.
Old 10-30-2015, 03:45 PM   #12
ern-diz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
The killer air bag has never been approved for commercial use.

So youre safe!

Unless of course you get shot at 7 11 in the course of a stick up.
Well, yeah, there's always that.
Old 10-31-2015, 07:06 AM   #13
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
If you are going to keep the car during the repair process you might want to verify that there are actually airbags in the car.

Last edited by jambo101; 10-31-2015 at 10:18 AM.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:15 AM   #14
ISOTOPES4

Drives: 2013 3 door
I bought it brand new, so there are airbags (unless the factory didnt put them in.) It was declaired a total loss. I do roadside assistance, so i rack up the miles on my toyota. I am pretty sure i am going to stick with Toyota, but i will be getting a Corolla, although i will miss having a hatchback. The insurance company said i could buy it back for 2400, but i declined. That little car has been thru a lot (and kept me safe). Its been sideswiped by an 18-wheeler, hit by a kid that was texting and driving, and backed into by a delivery truck while i was sitting in a parking lot. Sad to see it go, but its time for a fresh start.
ISOTOPES4 is offline   Reply With Quote