Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2016, 12:48 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Honda Worse Than Kia

In terms of reliability according to CR. Honda ranked 8th on the reliability list with Toyota 2nd after Lexus. Audi was 3rd and Kia 6th.

The Fit was ranked average reliability. Yaris not even mentioned.

Fiat brought up the rear with -177!

Toyota 56
Kia 27
Honda 13
Old 01-14-2016, 03:20 PM   #2
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
my experience with Honda (my Civic, brother's Civic and our sister's City (poor man's civic LOL) has been fairly ok, although suspension bushings/bearings keep wearing out.

even Stearlership purchased and both professionally or stealership installed will result in 2-3 year life span for stabilizer links, suspension arm bushings, etc...in fairness the roads here are not very good that a replacement will last only 1-1.5years, and my friend's mitsubishi lancer would have an equivalent life span of 2-3 months on suspension bushings before it starts doing the tok-tok sounds again. LOL
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
Lux

Drives: NCP91
Honda lower arm bushings (and ball joints) are a common item for Honda vehicles.
It was a problem more specific with earlier double wishbone front ends.
The Lexus score is a no-brainer.
Consumer Reports is one of the last sources anybody should ever use for automotive information (along with Jalopnik and the like). They have no bloody clue of what they're talking about. Some of the common complaints that are marked against these reliability scores are from customers on how to operate their navigation system...
For instance, to have Audi score so highly is complete rubbish. Ask the technicians what they have to say about the cars.
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 04:53 PM   #4
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
Consumer Reports is one of the last sources anybody should ever use for automotive information (along with Jalopnik and the like). They have no bloody clue of what they're talking about. Some of the common complaints that are marked against these reliability scores are from customers on how to operate their navigation system...
Agreed on so many levels.

I maintain that CR should stick to rating toasters.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 09:06 PM   #5
Kal-El

Drives: 07 Yaris S Sedan 5-Speed
Kia is now one of the best. JD Power had KIA #2 in initial quality. 2nd only to Porsche for 2015. They still don't get the respect from the general public ignorant about cars. And it's not just build quality. They are design leaders, and perform very well across the board.

Last edited by Kal-El; 01-20-2016 at 11:25 PM.
Kal-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:24 PM   #6
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal-El View Post
Kia is now one of the best. JD Power had KIA #2 in initial quality. 2nd only to Porsche for 2015. They still don't get the respectacular from the general public ignorant about cars. And it's not just build quality. They are design leaders, and perform very well across the board.
It's obvious they've stepped things up in every way over the last several years and actually have some very attractive models, but like Hyundai, they just don't give me that solid feel when you "kick the tires", as they say. I've never come away impressed after opening/closing doors and actuating various interior pieces. They may last, but don't give you that feeling on first impression. Last time I sat in/played with some Kia models was at last years OC Auto Show and my feeling was the same.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 04:54 PM   #7
jcboy

Drives: Sedan 07
Quote:
For instance, to have Audi score so highly is complete rubbish. Ask the technicians what they have to say about the cars.
Audi is Volkswagen. and has VW reliability. Same sh*t different brand. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
It's obvious they've stepped things up in every way over the last several years and actually have some very attractive models, but like Hyundai, they just don't give me that solid feel when you "kick the tires", as they say. I've never come away impressed after opening/closing doors and actuating various interior pieces. They may last, but don't give you that feeling on first impression. Last time I sat in/played with some Kia models was at last years OC Auto Show and my feeling was the same.
I agree, best example would be to implore you to come ride in one and try to check the stalks, they ar flimsy as hell, even in the Genesis, which are supposed to be top end.
jcboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #8
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
CR ratings are based completely on practicality and frugality ...

... not the passions that we enthusiasts value and understand.

For us a car is not just transportation.

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 02:57 PM   #9
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post
CR ratings are based completely on practicality and frugality ...

... not the passions that we enthusiasts value and understand.

For us a car is not just transportation.

It still annoyed me when I read "The Five 2016 Cars To Avoid" article by CR all over the internet currently, and the Toyota Yaris is #5 of that list. A really good car is losing a lot of sales because of their skewed criteria. Do they even know that the Yaris/Vitz is rated as the most long-term reliable subcompact in the world? And, ironically part of that great reliability stems from it's "venerable", time-tested/tweeked engine/drivetrain. Not everything has to be cutting-edge tech (and tech bloat galore) to make a great car for its class - which is what CR seems to believe.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:12 AM   #10
BLKHILLSGUY

Drives: 2011 3dr LB Polar White
Quote:
Honda lower arm bushings (and ball joints) are a common item for Honda vehicles.
It was a problem more specific with earlier double wishbone front ends.
The Lexus score is a no-brainer.
I don't base my purchase on the CR testing of the vehicle, but Consumer Reports actually uses statistics for reliability. That's not subjective. Strictly objective. Thus, that is what they should solely focus on.
BLKHILLSGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 02:16 AM   #11
BLKHILLSGUY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Agreed. And that is why I won't purchase a Kia or a Hyundai. I think they cut corners to add in extras. The other halfs 13 Sportage is nowhere near as solid as my 15 Yaris. Night and day difference. They also have very poor resale. I wonder why that is? I know. Kia does have good design however. Hell, they took Audi's major designer.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:17 AM   #12
BLKHILLSGUY

And I also don't trust JD Power for quality testing.