Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #1
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Stereos

No real forum for stereo mods.

Anyways, I think the stock stereo doesn't sound that bad. With 2 tweeters and a sub I think it would sound real good.

I'm not an audiophile, so maybe that is why I don't think it sounds bad.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:22 PM   #2
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
I just replaced my OEM 6 Disc MP3 (an upgraded unit in the RS) in my RS with a Clarion unit, it blows the stock deck away, even with the 4 stock speakers

The silver stereo in the Piano Black stack in my RS kept interrupting my dreams at night and saying..."I don't match! I don't match! Must install Piano Black HU!"...

Just caved and replaced it, installed a piano black Clarion unit to match the piano black stack, with amber illumination to match my speedo cluster, and HVAC controls...The unit's colour is customizeable to any hue...

A standard Echo stereo install kit fits perfectly in there...

Also ran the iPod input to the lower dash...

Looks and sounds so much better...

Much better than this:

Cheers
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
lol. Too funny.

Had a clarion deck in a earlier saab. They are good.

My deck is black and the stack is silver. I haven't driven that car at night yet so I don't know what it looks like. The Tach I'm buying is black numerals on a white face. We'll see how it lights up.
Old 05-04-2006, 07:27 PM   #4
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
Looks good. Two questions Echo. How much for the Clarion? Are you going any further?
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #5
DJ_SpaRky
Resident Scion Guy

Drives: 2008 Mazda3 S Sport
I have an Alpine in the xB & will be putting it in the Yaris or getting another Alpine.
Old 05-04-2006, 09:16 PM   #6
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko
Looks good. Two questions Echo. How much for the Clarion? Are you going any further?
The Clarion Deck, Toyota Harness, and the Dash Kit to fill the Double Din space came to 300 bux...The Clarion deck pushing the stock 4 speakers have enough bass to bother my ears...

I built a custom mini stereo plug for the iPod that looks OEM as well which cost me nothing other than the 7 bucks for the wire...

I've long outgrown the huge thumping subwoofer route, I had a Swift over 12 years ago that I did the full window-regulator breaking bass treatment to...

Cheers
Old 05-04-2006, 10:54 PM   #7
ricko

Drives: Copper-Orange Yaris RS
Thanks Echo. That sounds like a reasonable upgrade. I'm not looking to damage my hearing, just a slight improvement in quality. I listen to A.M.590 half the time anyway. No need for thumping bass with "talk" radio.
ricko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:32 AM   #8
gravylegs

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback RS
I am going to be replacing my silver stock deck with a new one. Anyone need the stock deck that I rip out?
gravylegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:42 AM   #9
Ziv
It's all about VVTI

Drives: Yaris 5Dr LE White
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricko
Thanks Echo. That sounds like a reasonable upgrade. I'm not looking to damage my hearing, just a slight improvement in quality. I listen to A.M.590 half the time anyway. No need for thumping bass with "talk" radio.
Ha ha, 'The fans' 590. Yeah, they are great.
Old 05-05-2006, 11:44 AM   #10
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
I was surprised at how not-bad the stereo sounds, and I am a bit of an audiophile. It certainly doesn't sound good, but it's acceptable for the price. The only thing I'm really planning on doing is add a sub to get a bit more low end - but I may just skip that to keep things light.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:23 PM   #11
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs
The Clarion Deck, Toyota Harness, and the Dash Kit to fill the Double Din space came to 300 bux...The Clarion deck pushing the stock 4 speakers have enough bass to bother my ears...
If you don't mind me asking, where did you purchase the Dash Kit (echo) ?

I found something like this on eBay, but I'm not sure if it will fit

http://cgi.ebay.ca/2000-2003-Toyota-...QQcmdZViewItem

The stereo is the first thing I will probably change after I have a good security system installed.

TIA
bigsky2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 02:27 PM   #12
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

The dash kit was bought at Autosonics (car stereo shop) in Guelph, it was a Toyota Echo kit, and fits perfectly...and had instructions for many newer Toyotas, Matrix, Celica etc...

It wasn't the same as that eBay kit, the face and pocket were one piece on my kit. I just measured the stock opening, and then compared the size to the kit...

Cheers
Old 05-06-2006, 02:57 AM   #13
M4One

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Hey echo_hrs, how did you manage to get the stock deck out? Did you have to rip out the whole dash to get to it?
M4One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:08 AM   #14
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

The two side panels with the passenger airbag/hazard lights pop out if you pull gently, then you can unplug the sensors...Then the top part of the stack above the HVAC controls with the two air vents can pop out as well, the front of the speedo shroud pops up a bit, then you can pop the top part of the stack off...
Old 05-06-2006, 12:22 PM   #15
jcove

Drives: 2011 Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit
I was surprised at how not-bad the stereo sounds, and I am a bit of an audiophile. It certainly doesn't sound good, but it's acceptable for the price. The only thing I'm really planning on doing is add a sub to get a bit more low end - but I may just skip that to keep things light.
I have a sub and it makes a world of difference. I turn the bass on the HU off and turn the treble to the top, I've adjusted it so that when I want it to really thump all I do is turn up the deck, but it just adds that extra punch behind the music that fills in for everything. I would recommend anyone getting a sub, get the Dyno mat or something along that lines. My one pannel rattles a little and when the stereo is off I can hear a little more road noise than from my other car. I'm doing that this weekend. Maybe later today...
jcove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 02:18 PM   #16
plushDJ

Drives: 2007 3 dr manual
I'm planning on adding two 12's, two amps, and a pair of door speakers. The deck is staying for now. I'll just use a line output converter for signal to the amps. Does anyone know how much room we have in the hatch to play with (in cu ft) for the sub box?? I'm needing a little over 4 cu ft but I don't think there should be a problem......
And how did you guys get the black piano dash?? Mine's silver all the way down. Is that an RS or sedan thing??
plushDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #17
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by plushDJ
I'm planning on adding two 12's, two amps, and a pair of door speakers. The deck is staying for now. I'll just use a line output converter for signal to the amps. Does anyone know how much room we have in the hatch to play with (in cu ft) for the sub box?? I'm needing a little over 4 cu ft but I don't think there should be a problem......
And how did you guys get the black piano dash?? Mine's silver all the way down. Is that an RS or sedan thing??
Piano Black is standard on the Canadian RS Hatch...
Old 05-06-2006, 08:35 PM   #18
plushDJ

Drives: 2007 3 dr manual
Ah, gotcha!!! I like the silver myself. I don't think a new deck would look good though, the black kit would look like crap unless if I painted it.....hmmm......
plushDJ is offline   Reply With Quote