Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-15-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
reginald2

Drives: 2010 Sedan
What to look for: tint

I know nothing about tinting a window. I've never had that done before. I'm not looking to do it myself. What do I need to know? I see purple saggy tint on a lot of back windows and really want to avoid that.

Where I live I can only have 35% on the window. Do I need to subtract the OEM glass, it looks a bit dark?

What should I look for/what do I need?
reginald2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
whoknows89

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 dr liftback
Most good shops use a high quality tint that doesn't turn purple. You should find different shops in you area and see how much they would charge. Also make sure wherever you go they have a lifetime warranty on the tint. The place I got mine done at will replace the tint if it ever bubbles, peels, and turns colors.
whoknows89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 08:07 PM   #3
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Definitely look for a reputable place. I got mine done at a local auto body shop and the f*cked it up. Had to take it back twice to get it done right, they melted one of the plastic trim pieces, and did something to make the lock-thing (that shows the door is un/locked) not work. Wanted to support a local small business, and paid the price. Go somewhere that's reputable for tinting service, read reviews on Google, and ask around.

Also, while the legal limit is 35%, you could probably go lower without issue. I think I have 30% on the front two windows, 20% on the rear and hatch, and 15% on the AS1, but would like to go darker all the way around sometime soon-ish (the ex took convincing to go as low as that).

The cars you see with the peeling tint are the cheap peel-n-stick kits you get at Wal-Mart and Auto Zone. There are better quality DIY kits you can get, but if you're not confident in your, or a friend's, abilities, don't bother.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
reginald2

Thanks for the good feedback. I wasn't sure about the saggy purple tint jobs. I am positive that it's over my head though.

whoknows- I'll check for a warranty. It's a good idea. Any tips on finding a good place? What should I expect them to charge for a good job?

suckerface- I've checked out a few reviews and I'm narrowing it down. I feel like I sit too high to do much with the as1, though it'd be nice for the drive home. I wouldn't mind going darker, but i don't want to get pulled over either.

Is there anything else to ask?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #5
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
Make sure you take before and after pictures of trim pieces, scratches on your windows, etc. so you have proof if there is any damage done during install.

Ask if they take the door panels off to do the whole window. My guys didn't at first, and you could tell where the tint ended at the weather strip. Also, see what level of tint they usually do, that'll tell you if you're safe to go a shade or two darker. Our guy pointed out that a lot of factory windows come with 35% or lower in the rear, and cops really only look at the front windows for how dark they are.

I paid around $80 for mine, but there were hassles involved as I mentioned. Be prepared to spend up to $150 or more for a QUALITY job.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #6
Killchain

Drives: '10 Yaris LB Polar White
35% city limits, 20% statewide other than other municipalities' laws.

I did 20% anyway, if a cop has nothing better to do a traffic stop for "probable cause" stop. Then so be it. I did pay $140.00 for my hatchback with life time guarantee.

The shop I went to...........http://www.horizonabq.com/default.aspx
Killchain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:54 PM   #7
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
any good tint will cost you at least $200 dollars and up, don't believe in 3M, Llumar or some big boys out there for less than $150....
ok even if they said less than $150, ask for manufacture warranty invoice that you can send/mail it in to verify that you got the legit one. And make sure get the roll #. Call in after a week and see if they received your invoice and ask if that roll number are legit......
If you want a good quality film, here is a few
Suntek - Carbon or CXP
Llumar - at least ATC
3M- Don't... but if you do go with Crystaline. Y? most tinter like us believed that 3M do not manufacture their own tint, most are rebox.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 PM   #8
whoknows89

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 dr liftback
Well I went to ziebart and i paid about 180 with the lifetime warranty. they are all over Indiana but I dunno if there is any where you are from. Any shop that does auto accessories or they advertise that they tint would be a good place to start looking. Your best bet would be to ask around. If someone is happy with the shop, they will recommend the shop.
whoknows89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
while you are checking up different shops and their reputation, ask them what type of tint they use. There are quite a few different types of tint, and some are higher quality and simply better than others.

Also ask the shops what the cops or inspection places, if you have a yearly inspection, in your area say. They'll know if the cops are super strict or don't care about how dark tint really is. You can also check online as well.

The most important part is to inform yourself before you do anything. And I agree totally on finding one with a lifetime warranty.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #10
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by reginald2 View Post
Any tips on finding a good place? What should I expect them to charge for a good job?
Find a new car dealer (preferably high end cars) with cars with tinted windows on the lot. If the tinting looks good, ask the dealer where they get the tinting done.

A good tint shop will give a lifetime warranty (free replacement) against bubbling and peeling and fading or turning purple.
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
reginald2

Wow, thanks all for the good information.

Suckerface - I'll be sure to snap some pics and then spend some time hoping that I don't need them lol.

Killchain - The law here is 35% and I've got yearly inspections and have heard people talking about seals and some sort of light or something that they check tint with. Plus I had a cop tear up my back seat once looking for crack or whatever. The damage to my back seat was the best part of that evening too. It was in a different state, but I've got no desire to repeat that experience ever.

Jamal - I'll be off to google these shortly. Now that you mention it 3M is the only brand I know of for tint (shows what I know lol). Thanks

whoknows - I don't think we have those here, that sounds like the ball park price I'm looking for though. I didn't really recognize any of the places where I live as big chains, most of them look a little more mom-and-popish.

why? - When you say different types, do you mean brands? Like I said above though, I want to get pulled over like I want a hole in the head. I think I've got another couple of years before I actually have to get the car inspected (newish cars have recently been exempted in my city). I'll probably stick with the law though anyway.

Yaristeve - I'll definitely look for a life time warranty. I think I've got a couple of friends that know car salesmen. I might check that grapevine to see what's up.

I feel a lot better knowing a little more about what to look for. Hopefully, I'll be able to shop around some this weekend and see what the local shops look like. I've got a computer to build here quickly, but I'm thinking the tint may end up getting done first. :)

Thanks again.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

not just brands, but they make them out of different materials, and some offer better UV protection.

It is not always about how dark you go, the materials used can affect what gets through.

And If a cop tried that with me I'd have pictures of it sent to every media company in the entire country.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
reginald2

Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
And If a cop tried that with me I'd have pictures of it sent to every media company in the entire country.

It was a few years ago '96 probably. I had a pager, but I'm not even sure if digital cameras were a thing yet. I wish it had gone down differently. I was pretty scared at the time, just a kid really and I was so surprised (I don't know if that's the word) I had no idea what to do.

Plus there's much worse on youtube anyway. It's a new era.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #14
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

it is an era where cops know they are being filmed at every stage. And they still act like arrogant pieces of garbage.

Just a reminder the government is always the enemy. And anyone who represents the government in any way is also an enemy.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:19 AM   #15
jamal1984

guys please don't talk bad about cops.
They are just like us trying to find a way for MONEYS out there.
Tint ticket is very easy moneys now. :)
Here in one of the city of Georgia, that tint ticket cost almost $400 dollars for first time.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:50 AM   #16
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamal1984 View Post
guys please don't talk bad about cops.
They are just like us trying to find a way for MONEYS out there.
Tint ticket is very easy moneys now. :)
Here in one of the city of Georgia, that tint ticket cost almost $400 dollars for first time.
Da fuck ?!?!?
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #17
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
it is an era where cops know they are being filmed at every stage. And they still act like arrogant pieces of garbage.

Just a reminder the government is always the enemy. And anyone who represents the government in any way is also an enemy.
Guess my mother is my enemy
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:01 AM   #18
jamal1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
Da fuck ?!?!?
you mean the ticket fees? or my comment?