Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-23-2011, 06:18 PM   #1
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
exhaust help

Hi everyone,

My Yaris had a recent run-in with a hillside after hitting a patch of gravel on a curve, spinning around backwards and flying off the road down a small hill then up an embankment butt first.

Luckily the only thing that was damaged was the exhaust. Very lucky actually.

What has happened is the stock rear muffler is bent in, and the whole pipe assembly itself has kinked upwards where the exhaust pipe bends up over the rear axle. So now when the engine is running and the exhaust pipe rattles, it's hitting the underside of the frame making a god-awful and quite embarrassing sound.

So I thought hey, I'll just get a full cat-back exhaust and kill 2 birds with one stone. Small performance upgrade and a replaced exhaust.

I was looking on ebay and found 2 that may work, but I don't understand if they're a full system or what?

APEXI Hybrid Megaphon
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/APEXI...ht_2380wt_1165

HKS Hi-Power
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HKS-H...ht_2363wt_1165

I would like a full system because I'm not sure which side of the bent part is kinked...before where the axle-back part meets, or after. I would prefer to have something relatively quiet too I don't want something ridiculous.

thanks
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #2
EPyarisdriver
...or Vegas for short

Drives: 2010 Toyota Yaris 3door LB
I know the HKS hooks up from your cat. not sure about the APEXI
EPyarisdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Neither picture is of an actual Yaris exhaust. I dislike that seller on eBay for this reason, and I can beat their prices.

Further, both are axle-back exhausts, there is no flange behind the cats to bolt an exhaust to until you get to the axle. Look under there and you'll see what I mean. You'd have to custom weld an exhaust for it to be "cat-back".

Quote:
A'PEXi WORLD SPORT 2 EXHAUST: YARIS 07-UP (3 DOOR)
ITEM: APX-116AT079
A`PEXi World Sport 2 Axle-Back Exhaust System (54mm piping, 100mm tip) for Toyota Yaris 07-UP (3 Door)
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
sparkin88

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3D LB 5SD
Yeah not an actual picture of the Yaris exhaust. My APEXi doesnt look like that and like all yaris exhausts, its just an axle-back unless you replace the midpipe too.
sparkin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
this pic may help a bit. axle back connects right above the torsion bar. The cats on these cars are part of the mid exhaust and will have to be cut off and welded if you want to get rid of the resonators.

Ignore the Red marks, used this to identify the rubber inserts that come in the glove box before
Attached Images
File Type: jpg underside_wed01.jpg (112.7 KB, 91 views)
Old 09-24-2011, 04:40 AM   #6
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
ok gotcha, thanks for the help guys. I don't want to get rid of the cat on my car so I guess I'll just go with an axle-back exhaust.

I'll have to double check the the sheet from the garage for where exactly the exhaust pipe has bent, though I'm pretty sure he said it bent right up where it goes over top of the axle or torsion bar whatever it's called, since I guess it's not really an axle since the rear wheels are free spinning. But like I said, if it's bent before the part where an axle-back exhaust would fit on then I'm kind of screwed and will have to either find an OEM midpipe, or somehow bend it back.
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:06 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I have an OEM midpipe, but it's cut off towards the front. Would suit your purpose, but would require a muffler shop to weld it on.

You're probably best off with a little repair work if the midpipe is bent, but the cats are intact (they are EXPENSIVE). Sections are easy to replace, shouldn't cost you much at all.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote