Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-15-2007, 04:43 AM   #1
John_v63400

Drives: 2007 Yaris 4dr. S
07 yaris home made intake not working

I went to the auto Zone baught some real nice intake chrome tubing and a Nice Big Cone filter, I set it up perfect even with the MAF bolting correctly on with the supplied adapter plate I had baught. Well I go to start my car and it doesnt want to run, it bogs down and runs like crap. I cant rev normal, it will just bog down. Ive went over it a billion times disconected my battery made sure the MAF was properly fitted, I dont what to do, Is there a secret or something, or am I missing something, has anyone done a Homemade intake for an American 07 Yaris. I mean a Yaris in the States of course.
John_v63400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:46 AM   #2
Motorhead6T5

Drives: 07 NCP96
If its the same universal maf they have at kragens,its too big of diameter would be my guess.
Old 08-15-2007, 06:06 AM   #3
John_v63400

yeah its the same, So I need to buy a smaller one or what it is too much air
Old 08-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #4
Nabisco

Drives: '08 Honda Fit Sport
Send a message via ICQ to Nabisco Send a message via AIM to Nabisco
You get what you pay for. Do it right, do it once and forget about it. That brand new engine should jump out of that engine bay and slap you for trying to install some cheap knockoff sweatshop product aka "Chinese" toy. Can't afford much?

Remove stock air box/resonator buy a conical K&N and utilize the factory rubber intake hose. You can get K&N filter in many different shapes and sizes if you search http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294908389
Nabisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 03:08 PM   #5
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
you can buy conical K&N's at Autozone as well
Old 08-15-2007, 04:20 PM   #6
BlackMan_Ink

Drives: 07 Yaris, 4dr Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabisco View Post
You get what you pay for. Do it right, do it once and forget about it. That brand new engine should jump out of that engine bay and slap you for trying to install some cheap knockoff sweatshop product aka "Chinese" toy. Can't afford much?

Remove stock air box/resonator buy a conical K&N and utilize the factory rubber intake hose. You can get K&N filter in many different shapes and sizes if you search http://store.summitracing.com/egnsea...115+4294908389
I'm with him i saw that and bypassed it...u need 2.5in. piping 3in. is too much air.

Fujita f5 intake in the mail and soon to be on my engine
BlackMan_Ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:41 PM   #7
thewifesyaris

Drives: 2007 and 2008 MM Yari LBs
i ran the same spectre setup back when she first got the car, she ran it for a month with out problems. it did the same thing your having problems with. i had to gas the hell out of it before it would slowly learn to run richer itself but the engine kept jerking like it wasnt getting what it wanted. the maf sensor went on and the cel was on the whole time but gosh darn did the car take off while it had the intake on. i figured the diameter was too big and not healthy for the cars ecu to keep feeding the engine max fuel to keep up with the air it was being fed. she still wants an intake but i told her to wait until something good pops up. im hoping for a chamber-like intake to make its way to the market, but i fear that a chamber intake may have the same problems with the maf sensor. but if it comes down to it i think ill just purchase the weaponr short ram. if only they came in pink...
Old 08-15-2007, 04:51 PM   #8
John_v63400

Thanks guys Im new to this thread but Im a second yaris owner, but 45K on my first yaris less than a year, So then I baught another one cause some one actually wanted to buy my blue one off me. New one is Red S model 5 speed power everything, cruise, fog lamps gret car. Yeah I ordered an fujita too, I just had some intake hoses laying around from my last car and tried it out. The yaris idnt like it too much
Old 08-15-2007, 10:23 PM   #9
alhope34
Spool'd

Drives: 07 yaris, 16 gen coupe rspec
Just the other day I went to parts source and ordered this... http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...Prod=69-8756TP

Came to $360 CAD taxes and all. Have an '06 RS hatch at home. Really hope this intake works right, that's a fair chunk of cash for me right now.
alhope34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:46 PM   #10
lifthard1

Drives: Black LB
check the air filter and make sure you didnt push it on to far where it is against the tubing restricting your air intake
lifthard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:17 PM   #11
trdvvti07
Where's my crown?

Drives: 07 self proclaimed TRD Sedan
i put a k&n square filter in the stock air box. ran the inlet tube out of the front passenger side, next to radiator out of the grill and fit a cone on it. voila! no need for unnecessary purchases when the problem is air intake. k.i.s.s. keep it simple stupid. RAM air is where its at, to hell with recirculating hot air from under the hood. my engine takes in all the fresh air it needs with the help of a dry bypass filter and the rest is history.
Old 10-08-2012, 10:42 PM   #12
blacksandiegovitz
Your mom goes to college

Drives: 08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdvvti07 View Post
i put a k&n square filter in the stock air box. ran the inlet tube out of the front passenger side, next to radiator out of the grill and fit a cone on it. voila! no need for unnecessary purchases when the problem is air intake. k.i.s.s. keep it simple stupid. RAM air is where its at, to hell with recirculating hot air from under the hood. my engine takes in all the fresh air it needs with the help of a dry bypass filter and the rest is history.
5 year old thread lol
Old 10-08-2012, 11:40 PM   #13
trdvvti07
Where's my crown?

Drives: 07 self proclaimed TRD Sedan
Understood...but

I'm new to yw so i'm dumping all my tricks into the barrel for the next guy
Old 10-09-2012, 12:55 AM   #14
tooter
play every day

Drives: 2012 Yaris L 2dr 5sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewifesyaris View Post
...but if it comes down to it i think ill just purchase the weaponr short ram. if only they came in pink...
Hey, I answered the 5 year old post, too.

That's what I did.

I bought a cheap Weapon R Dragon short ram intake just for the tube with the MAF fitting, sold the foam filter, then put the custom filter I wanted onto it. No CEL light ever.

tooter is offline   Reply With Quote