Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 12-03-2009, 02:52 AM   #145
yaris 2sz
www.yarisclub.gr

Drives: yaris 1.3 2sz - 1.33 1nr
yarissedan, did you cut the bump stops when installed the springs?
if you did it, maybe it's from this.

by the way, i asked the tte.de about bump stops cutting and told me that i don't have to do this. i have the tte springs
yaris 2sz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 12:26 PM   #146
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
I have not been on for a couple of days but every once in a while I have heard a noise from the rear after dips. I have a little bit different exhaust sets up than everyone else and I believe that the axle is very close to the exhaust. I noticed this when moving my axle up to the higher position I will take pics later this week
Old 12-04-2009, 12:54 PM   #147
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris 2sz View Post
yarissedan, did you cut the bump stops when installed the springs?
if you did it, maybe it's from this.

by the way, i asked the tte.de about bump stops cutting and told me that i don't have to do this. i have the tte springs
No havent touched the bump stops. I dont think theres bump stops really to cut in the rear its a different type of setup than in the front. Its spring and shock combo.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:14 PM   #148
AND189
Banned

Drives: 2
hmmm

Last edited by AND189; 12-04-2009 at 04:43 PM.
AND189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 04:40 PM   #149
AND189
Banned

DIY anyone ???

First jack her up i put the mounts as far away as posable so i have lots of room to play

pull the wheels off

position jack so it is under swing arm and to get the bolt out you need to slightly tap the mount up to take the cross load off the bolt

this is the bolt you will be taking out only one of mine seamed to have lock tight so when putting them back i used locknut on both with some grease

so once the bolts are taken from both sides you can back prop one first and this is the fiddly part, if you have only one jack ... to get the holes to line up you need to keep the axel at the same hight as both sides if you don't you will fined it easy for one side and real hard for the other, so if you can use two people with two are you can just prop one side as high as you can the go back to the other and so on until the holes match up

as i was alone i had to back prop it took a little longer when moving the axel up i used the cares weight to move the axel with a jack (so i am not lifting the car) (loren)for the sake of others that putting a jack under the center of the beam axle is a bad idea. It can be bent in that manner.

You can see the thread is shaved for the first 5mm witch means if you are having problems getting the bolt in you can give it a little tap with a hammer

After putting it all back i took if for a test run down bluegum road and it was crazy it just cuts into corners at speed and i did not see a drop or lift in hight, But i did fine the rear a little more bouncy, other mods i have done are the trd springs and struts, sway bar, strut brace, tires and wheels and this has been the cheapest and i enjoyed it to good luck !!!

some other pics of my old mans car and mine

Last edited by AND189; 12-04-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:10 PM   #150
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
AND129, I think you know this by the fact that you mentioned being careful not to lift the car at this point, but it's worth mentioning for the sake of others that putting a jack under the center of the beam axle is a bad idea. It can be bent in that manner.

Neat that you were able to do this without pulling the shock bolts and removing the springs. Probably a toss-up as to which way is actually easier. (only two bolts to drop the shocks and it should make the whole process of fitting those pivot bolts a lot easier)

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #151
AND189
Banned

ok thanks as i did say the car was not lifted by the axel only its own weight and i didnt have to many problems i will note it thanks mate
Old 12-04-2009, 05:43 PM   #152
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
LLLO U HAVE A EVO.

LOL @ EVOS. HAHAHAHAHA

Jk. I'm just jealous. =[
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 05:49 PM   #153
YarisSedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
AND129, I think you know this by the fact that you mentioned being careful not to lift the car at this point, but it's worth mentioning for the sake of others that putting a jack under the center of the beam axle is a bad idea. It can be bent in that manner.

Neat that you were able to do this without pulling the shock bolts and removing the springs. Probably a toss-up as to which way is actually easier. (only two bolts to drop the shocks and it should make the whole process of fitting those pivot bolts a lot easier)
I would highly reccomend removing the shock bolts. I tried to do this without doing so being lazy and it costed me 30 minutes of fighting with the bolt hole and cursing and after simply just removing the shock bolts and taking out the springs it was bolted in place a few minutes later. Because of the tension one side of the bushing will line up while the other will not. I was able to get one in without removing the bolts but required assistance of another person usinga pry bar to get the inner bushing lined up while i jammed in the bolt from the outer side.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:54 PM   #154
AND189
Banned

as i said i had no problems simple unbolt jack up bolt on that is the way i did it but if you think your way is easy go for it ether way once its done it is off tap
Old 12-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #155
AND189
Banned

ddongbap
Quote:
LLLO U HAVE A EVO.

LOL @ EVOS. HAHAHAHAHA

Jk. I'm just jealous. =
ha ha as i said it is my dads new toy he seams to get a new one every year nice car though only problem it is full of computers and shit ... nice car but i would not get one :)
Old 12-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #156
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
i didnt unbolt the springs or shocks either. i did one side and then the other with two separate jacks.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 09:11 PM   #157
AND189
Banned

Quote:
i didnt unbolt the springs or shocks either. i did one side and then the other with two separate jacks
Hi five
Old 12-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #158
AND189
Banned

Ok well i just took my car on dirt road and it is like the back wheels are on ice they are just so taily good fun
Old 12-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #159
docB

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
ROLL CENTER

I can not really comment about a change in toe or camber, seems like they couldn't go too far off given the amount the axel pivot will move. The real deal here is the roll center. A dynamic point that the rear suspension seems to move around. Moving a suspension pivot point like this definitely changes that roll center. That relates to anti squat and has a BFD effect on suspenstion action and overall handling. This change is really several in one shot. Toe, camber (in the rear this also is called anti-squat), and the roll center. Changing the roll center's height will also change the roll axis. This means it changes how the front suspension relates to overall handling. I know you all want learn more about suspension design. Read some books so that you can learn more about this stuff. An author Fred Puhn wrote How to Make Your Car Handle. Lots of good easy to understand info. Most bok stores have it.
doc

I'll try it soon.
docB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 01:51 PM   #160
Brentorius

Drives: 07 Mazda MX5 Copper Red
Any updates on interferences with this mod? It seems to correct the rear alignment after lowering.

I am going to be swapping in new shocks next week and can easily do this while everything is off.
Old 12-25-2009, 01:53 PM   #161
YarisSedan

I just learned to adjust my driving to prevent the clunking sound. I looked at my gas tank the other day theres some scratches on either side but cant say for sure that could have been from when i removed my upper tie bar brace.
Old 12-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #162
advocate

Drives: car
I say paint the gas tank and look for new scratches after hearing the clunking sound
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote