Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Need everyones opinions on Spring/Shocks combo's please

So my shocks are dead on my car.
Please don't try selling anything to me just yet, as I plan on leaving my job as of July 4th, hate it. Got to worry more about finishing college and starting my career, so I won't have money unless the GF buys this for me. Hasn't yet obviously lol.

So as of now, I have the TRD springs. At times, I love the ride, but because the shocks are dead, every pothole or bump, is a hard impact/makes the car feel like its bouncing around. Lots os small hills/bumps and the tires feel like they are coming off the ground causing the car not to keep full traction at higher speeds(50+mph)

I live in NYC, and every road/every highway is hell. I can not take the grand central parkway with the car because its turned into hell, with severe drops and harsh impacts on every single overpass. The LIE from exits 29 to 19, also has the same problem, not as bad, just bad bumps every 50-100feet. Making another harsh impact causing the tires to jump up.

My question to everyone that has changed from a stock ride is as follows:

1) What do you think I should do; Should I get the strusts and shocks to improve the ride?
2) Should I eventually go with TRD strusts and shocks?
3)Should I eventually go with Tokico(forget the spelling) strusts and shock?
4) Should I maybe change out the springs to something else and try different strusts/shocks?
5) I am not looking for the softest ride, although after riding in BMW's and Merc's, they all seem to have VERY nice suspentions, soft on the impact, and very stiff on the turns. I wish I had that on the Yaris.

Please give me your opinions on what should be done, because Im getting sick of the ride quality and I forgot how it was when the shocks were new/either way now there are 10times the # of putholes and bumps because the city isnt fixing anything. I also don't want to end up going with TRD strusts and shocks one day if this will only cause the ride to have an even worse impact on all the bumps and potholes I was just describing, you know.

I would appreciate it, thank you all.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 12:22 PM   #2
gwasabi

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue LB
tokico shocks

MunkyWurks Garage - 8088488794
gwasabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
I'm going with TRD springs and Tokico Blues, and a good alignment. For my purposes that should keep me happy for a while.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 06:06 PM   #4
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
TRD all the way. You can't beat multiple components engineered to work together as a package for our specific application.
My sedan handles like on rails, even with the weak OEM (Goodyear LS) rubber. The ride quality is firm but certainly not uncomfortable. I am at one with the road, every crack, which can be good or bad depending on your tolerance level and willingness to compromise some comfort in favour of enhanced performance.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I have the TRD's, but with the Tein S.Tech's. A bit harsh on the bumps, but it's not so bad around my area. Part of the freeway here (one time) made my wipers turn on (yeah, the vertical forces was that bad that it made the wiper switch go down to the on position).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:19 AM   #6
Lafiro

Yeah had that happen a long time ago, and thats what I DONT want right now.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:42 AM   #7
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
Yeah had that happen a long time ago, and thats what I DONT want right now.
I'd get the adjustable shocks (can't remember which right now, but was it the HTS?), that way you can set it to soft for daily driving, and firm for the track).
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:10 AM   #8
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
The adjustable FTS are way expensive for this guys needs amd there ain't a spring made that can keep up withit. Get the TRD springs save $100 and buy the Tokico Blues instead of the TRD shocks. Its a great firm performance street driving package (w/ a TRD rear sway bar)
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 10:23 AM   #9
Lafiro

I'm starting to get the feeling that most of you' just change shocks to have a more firm ride. And yeah, this car is not worth me spending any more money on it other then to keep it running right. (Aint going to ahve a job as of July 4th to what I know now, so its eventually up to my GF for this) I just need information on something that wont keep making the inside of my car rattle like there is no tomorrow.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
I'm starting to get the feeling that most of you' just change shocks to have a more firm ride. And yeah, this car is not worth me spending any more money on it other then to keep it running right. .
Wrong wrong wrong, I thought the same until I added the TRD suspension, it really turns into a performance handling go-cart which I am very into.
Old 05-20-2009, 10:44 AM   #11
Lafiro

But I want to make sure that impacts are not going to be narsh/interior rattling. Thats why if I can change these dead stock shocks, I can get a set on there to compliment the TRD springs nicely.... Im also following the thread about the adjustable HTS shocks and struts.. so maybe those may be the right choice, assuming it isn't going to be an arm and a leg in price?
Old 05-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #12
Sparks Toyota-TRD

Drives: Toyota/Scion
The TRD Shocks go for $419 on our website.

You can get them here:

http://www.trdsparks.com/displaypart...&parts_id=1104

TRD is something made for Toyota cars and it will add a nice performance gain to suspension. You will lose a little bit of ride quality, but TRD will be a little bit smoother than a lot of aftermarket companies.

Tim
Sparks Toyota-TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #13
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Find someone who doesn't like the Tokicos. For $100 less than TRD, why not?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:23 AM   #14
Sparks Toyota-TRD

Drives: Toyota/Scion
You might feel the $100 difference in the ride comfort.

Tim
Sparks Toyota-TRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:38 AM   #15
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks Toyota-TRD View Post
You might feel the $100 difference in the ride comfort.

Tim
No there is really no difference. The 2 feel about identical. Remember when the TRD shocks were $100 cheaper than they are now??

I can assure you then did not get $100 better, they just jacked up the price.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:40 AM   #16
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Uh oh... battle of the vendors 2 completely unbiased opinions =)
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 11:42 AM   #17
Lafiro

oh wow, good debate going here, who else wants to join in on the fun! I can't want to see the victor of this thread.

I do not see the need to change springs, unless someone wants to trade some other lowering springs(less aggressive) for my TRD springs.

But ride quality is a must. I dont mind nice handling, the springs give me enough on their own. But I dont need to find myself hurting my neck when I change to TRD shocks, or Tokico shocks.....

Its very hard to get the right information because I don't know of anyone here in NYC with a modded Yaris. I did go to an event at Stony Brook the other day and saw a nice Hatch modded, with what looked to be a miniature coilover holding up the hood. Dont know where the driver was though... So no one can relate to the harsh roads here where I live. Unfortuntely.... half of my driving is on the bad parts of the highway, going to school, and seeing friends, the other half is good/perfect for a stiff suspension, going to work/seeing friends in that dirrection.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #18
regal

I think the Tokico's are very good performance shocks, they really snap the suspension back down, absolutely none of the stock nauseating bounciness. I'de say they are on par as Koni Reds.