Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-07-2006, 09:37 AM   #19
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
Its really a personal preference thing. My feelings... anyone can get a big brake kit installed, but it takes patience, planning and knowledge to do unique mods such as upgrading to four wheel discs. Maybe selfishly I just wanted to drum up conversation on the topic because someone on the board might have had an idea as to what it would take/how hard it would be/etc. There was a thread on it before, but it got buried and a lot of people have joined since then. I don't really know which system would give you better performance... I am assuming any car with four disc brakes instead of two would have a shorter 60-0. Could be wrong... like I said, just trying to be the devil's advocate.
So you're going to rag on someone who wants bigger brakes on the grounds that it isn't a performance-justified mod but advocate an incredibly involved modification that also has no performance justification? Way to be consistent, dude.

As for the Yaris' braking deficiences - they certainly may be solvable by a combination of rotors, pads and brake lines so I will be going that route before I drop money on a complete set of brakes. It may be that I simply don't like the Yaris' brake pedal feel.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:33 AM   #20
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
I don't think anyone was putting down the idea... maybe just offering some oppinions on the mod. For one, I would never install Wilwoods on any of my cars again, I have them on one of my cars still and they are horrible quality, need rebuilds all the time and there are very few decent street pad options.

If you have your heart set on big brakes I would consider the bolt on kits from Endless, Project U, and Brembo first. Also there is a good chance the Stoptech and Rotora/Megan will offer kits in the near future which will be priced more competetively.
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:12 AM   #21
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit
So you're going to rag on someone who wants bigger brakes on the grounds that it isn't a performance-justified mod but advocate an incredibly involved modification that also has no performance justification? Way to be consistent, dude.
Oh for Christ's sake Idjit, unbundle your panties.

Like I said, just trying to get conversation flowing. Its what I do... having said that, I still think FWD owners that cram every inch of Brembo they can on their two front rotors screams rice.

Now all of you converse wildly about the JDM rear brake install while I sit in my office chair while laughing like Dr. Claw.

Last edited by ChinoCharles; 09-07-2006 at 11:34 AM.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:16 AM   #22
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by john@bp
get a set of slotted rotors and paint your calipers red and call it a day.

Sounds like a plan!
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:24 PM   #23
dresden_k
Honda Convert

Drives: NCP91L
There's nothing wrong with having a bbk on the front and drums in the back. With a car this light, this short and very front-heavy, it makes more sense than putting discs in the back, even if that were an easy option for this car, which it isn't.

When Wilwood or some other company releases a rear disc conversion, it's something I'll consider, but don't expect major braking performance coming from the back of this car.
dresden_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 06:51 PM   #24
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dresden_k
With a car this light, this short and very front-heavy, it makes more sense than putting discs in the back, even if that were an easy option for this car, which it isn't.
FWD supposed to be front heavy.
If you thinking about putting battery to the back and make it weight balanced. That mean RICE. (it does nothing good to a FWD car)
Weight balance only apply to RWD cars.
Also adding weight to suspension component is adding your unsprung weight, just like getting a heavy wheel. That will reduce your performance i.e. mpg, acceleration.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 11:36 PM   #25
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo
FWD supposed to be front heavy.
If you thinking about putting battery to the back and make it weight balanced. That mean RICE. (it does nothing good to a FWD car)
Weight balance only apply to RWD cars.
Also adding weight to suspension component is adding your unsprung weight, just like getting a heavy wheel. That will reduce your performance i.e. mpg, acceleration.
Actually... Having all the weight in the front, even in a fwd vehicle, makes for bad understeer. Balance is ALWAYS a good thing and moving the battery to the rear of the car is actually not a bad idea.
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:59 AM   #26
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by heylookitsjames
Actually... Having all the weight in the front, even in a fwd vehicle, makes for bad understeer. Balance is ALWAYS a good thing and moving the battery to the rear of the car is actually not a bad idea.

Moving battery to to back for a FWD doesn't help to to reduce understeer.
You just move your weight to the back and make your car more dragging.
In order to address nose heavy is to replace with light weight part, but not moving part to rear.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 10:01 PM   #27
heylookitsjames
maintenance of momentum

Drives: 2007 5spd 3dr
While I agree that replacing stock parts with lighter weight versions is the preferred method for achieving maximum performance and handling benefits, relocating movable objects within the car to get as close to a 50/50 balance (regardless of drive setup) is also extremely valuable. This decreases the polar moment of inertia of the vehicle, making the car easier to turn and maintain in a neutral behavior throughout the turn.
heylookitsjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:24 AM   #28
03Z33

Drives: TCR10
adding weight to the rear of the vehicle definetely helps! I carry around sand bags when I go around the track

I'm also planning on adding another engine in the rear to drive the rear wheels, and then I'll get 18" wilwood brakes and some chrome exhaust bearings to grease up the flux capacitor
03Z33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 12:21 AM   #29
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
Just to update this thread, In the latest Siphon mag there is the Tein Yaris that has the Wilwood brake kit and the rears are basic drums but the car brakes awesome and performs awesome.

The advantage to a rear disc setup is that the drums can overheat and then they don't brake worth crap. I used to have a 69 Firebird convertible with drums on all 4 corners. I can vouch for the reliability of drum brakes.

There's alot more out there available for brake kits on the market now.
If you don't do performance/track driving a steel line setup and better pads are all you need. But otherwise they do look better.

13 inch rotors are probably overkill, but they're available out there for our cars. JBT has them availalabe now, 4 pot system. I think they are working on a rear disc system as well.
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #30
C2AUTOSPL

Drives: 240sx, 00 Celica
LIke i said on the other post, Greddy also makes BBK for the Yaris.

Loma Linda, CA 92354
T: 909-796-8189
E-mail: info@c2auto.com
AIM: wide180sx
C2AUTOSPL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #31
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Wilwood makes nice stuff. My brother builds and competes professional rockcrawlers and they use it on all their trucks. If it can lock a 38 inch tire mounted on a bead locked wheel filled with water for extra low end weight, it could stop a Yaris FAST.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:14 PM   #32
OxyG3nE

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007
Send a message via AIM to OxyG3nE Send a message via MSN to OxyG3nE
a big brake kit front and rear would be really nice on this car :p
OxyG3nE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:52 PM   #33
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
Quote:
Originally Posted by dngz View Post
painting my calipers seem rice to me =\.. im not planning on getting it right away.. i just like to know what's available for the yaris. and yea, i wont be getting this b4 my performance parts. i also dont like how the back drum brakes look...

Come on!!!, it's not rice!!!

painting the drums maybe but not the caliperss
Old 04-15-2007, 12:19 AM   #34
mojoyaris
Ecurie Snoopy Lives

Drives: Jojo
Quote:
Originally Posted by OxyG3nE View Post
a big brake kit front and rear would be really nice on this car :p
I've seen a Wilwood rear disc kit on an xb and it looked great!
Western Canada Rally Association
Ecurie (Team) Snoopy Canada, racing since 1966
mojoyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:03 PM   #35
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Get your Yaris to the track with some DOT -R Tires and chase around Evo's and Porsches and you will be clamoring for a big brake kit, esp. with a turbo kit. I got the DEZOD pads and they never seemed to get the "bite" other listers seem to rave about. It's perhaps the rotors not being slotted, but at the end of the day I needed more brakes. When I didn't have some jackass in a 350Z laying on the brakes, they were fine on open track... I guess that's the thing I really noticed:

Open track, stock brakes were fine because you were using them about to the limit without having to do any exaggerated braking. In traffic, I had did not have the stopping power (remember, the DOT-R tires are WAY grippier so the car stopped pretty fast, but not repeatedly).

Anyhow, I know it's easy to poo poo people who want bigger brakes, but when you get to the track and push the car, it becomes absolutely clear what the weaknesses are: HP and Brakes. Luckily I put on the Megan Racing coilovers, they were AWESOME on the track.

I think the Wilwood (who have been making brakes for decades and what most Miata's run on the track) are inexpensive, trusted and have excellent support. I will post a separate thread about the Yaris at the track.
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com

Last edited by Vanderkitten; 06-16-2007 at 06:45 PM. Reason: IN ALL FAIRNESS
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 08:31 PM   #36
HTM Yaris
resident senior

Drives: 07 Yaris
My brakes have turned a pretty shade of blue before . Was able to light a cigarette off them before also . They do have tendancy to get mushy . I have ordered SS lines(back ordered) and plan on changing the fluid . Has anybody tried the E-bay drilled rotors ? Know where I can get drilled rotors ? Decent Pads ? I do 1 track weekend , 1 Dragon trip and 1 Autox every month . Sometimes more .
HTM Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote