Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-26-2006, 10:13 PM   #19
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar
iMac g4 17 1ghz, with 1 windows xp machine, and another built windows machines for the family.

W/e pc I build next to buy next will be AMD only. Apple better go AMD...
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 10:00 AM   #20
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Oh boy, where do I start...

Right now I use a 15" MacBook Pro as my primary machine. About 80% of the time I boot into Windows Vista (using Boot Camp) while I'm doing my day job as a web-application developer. The other 20% of the time is during my other job as a semi-pro photographer.

In support of the photo business, I have 2 13" MacBooks, which I hate. They're cheap pieces of crap with monumentally shitty screens and I feel sorry for anyone who's bought one since they're ticking timebombs of support problems. We have one that went back to Apple alredy to fix a problem where the machine would just randomly shutoff, and now that it's back it won't boot unless you clear the PRAM every time. The other seems to be doing okay, but I will most likely replace both of them with MBPs as soon as possible.

Other than that, I have a 12" iBook that doesn't get much use now that I have the MBs, a Mac Mini as my cruising the internet/iTunes machine, a couple Sony laptops, 3 Dell PCs and various other PCs.

I don't understand why people have anything against Dell - all my Dells have worked wonderfully, I've had much more problems with my Macs. At this point, I'm ready to never use a Macintosh ever again. Their Intel-based hardware sucks, there's a lot of stupid problems with the OS... after about 9 months of using them daily I still do not get what the attraction is.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:00 PM   #21
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
The new Dells are insane. I used to hate Dell but my brother just picked up a newer model Dimension and it is the quietest computer I've ever been around. You don't even know its on.

Idjit, if you do freelance web app development in ASP/PHP PM me and I can hook you up with my buddy... he can always use more programmers, and he pays whatever you quote.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:16 PM   #22
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Thanks for the offer, Chino, but I'm salaried and am not interested in freelance work.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:32 PM   #23
ChinoCharles
Banned

SELLOUT! Haha kidding, cool... if I didn't have the attention span of a gnat I might program more, but I always get distracted.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:07 PM   #24
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
I use a dell as my primary gaming pc and it works fine.

But at work we bought 4 Dell's and 4 Dell printers and have had tons of problems with them. We have finally been able to make them work but it was way to much work. For an example the Dell printer software screwed up the printers amazingly, but the printers work fine with generic software.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:41 PM   #25
ceres
Club Baby Seals

Drives: Yaris Sedan
I use a custom built Cyperpower PC atm. AMD processor, Windows Media Center, 21" CRT (I hate LCD monitors), tv-tuner, but a I need a new graphics card soon. The one I have is a ATI Radeon AIW that conflicts with the tv-tuner so I can't run the game I play in window mode. The AIW doesn't work with the Media Center programs which work 100% better than the ATI ones. Have an old iBook (from 2001) that gets brought out every so often. Boyfriend just picked up a Dell laptop (don't know the version). Got it off of ebay.
I'll probably pick up a Mac next time I get a new desktop. Miss using the Macs we had in our graphics design department at college.
ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:21 PM   #26
JeffRapp

Drives: Flint Mica Yaris Sedan
Idjiit - sorry to hear about your MacBook problems. I got mine in July and it's the best computer I've ever owned. It runs XP inside parallels like it's nobody's business. It sounds like you got one of the earlier production runs. I read that the wire that measures the tempature on the processor was too close to the processor itself, causing the sheilding to melt off and the wire to short out, shutting the machine down. Personally, I haven't experienced this yet, and I hope I don't have to.
JeffRapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 04:27 PM   #27
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Yes, the one that died I bought the day they came out. However, I personally know 4 other people who've had issues with them, so I tend to still think that they're just badly designed pieces of junk. Yours may be working well now, but you've had it for 3 months - come back to me in a year and tell me if it's still the best computer you've ever owned. ;)

Beyond that, the screen on them is pathetic. There's no way to look at the screen and get an accurate representation of black levels, which makes the computer practically useless for a photographer like myself.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:14 PM   #28
JeffRapp

I'll let you know then ;)

True, the screen isn't that great, but for graphics design and photo editing, what lcd is? Anyway, it's a huge improvement over my old white G3 iBook.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:59 PM   #29
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Uhhhh... plenty of LCDs are good for photo editing. You may have noticed, for instance, that Apple doesn't sell CRTs anymore - most photo and video editing companies have been using primarily LCDs for a few years now. The Apple Cinema Displays, their Dell counterparts and even the LCD in the MacBook Pros are of very high quality and totally sufficient for critical photo and video work.

If you put the MacBook up against the MacBook Pro, I think you'd see what I'm talking about quite quickly.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:54 PM   #30
JeffRapp

Alright - i think you got me. I bought a mini dvi-vga adapter. wow. i can definitely see what you're talking about. The colors on the macbook look pretty washed out compared to the 5-year-old lcd screen i've got it hooked up to...

Also, I think Apple only sells LCDs because Steve declared CRTs dead ;) And what Steve says is the Word
Old 09-27-2006, 10:20 PM   #31
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Buy a new LCD with a DVI input and you'll really be blown away. ;)

Seriously, between my Samsung and Dell LCDs, I'm really floored at the quality that's available to us at this point. I think the only real lingering issues with LCDs at this point is with high-motion stuff with videogames (which I don't play), but even there a lot of decently priced LCDs have fast response times.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:57 AM   #32
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Acer Ferrari laptop here (with windows XP media center edition) :D Gotta love that carbon fiber and red trim, gonna be a theme on my Yaris... ;)

Macs are nice, sure.. and now that they can run XP, it's quite a possibility, the top-end Mac Pros are sweeeet
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:38 AM   #33
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idjiit
Buy a new LCD with a DVI input and you'll really be blown away. ;)

Seriously, between my Samsung and Dell LCDs, I'm really floored at the quality that's available to us at this point. I think the only real lingering issues with LCDs at this point is with high-motion stuff with videogames (which I don't play), but even there a lot of decently priced LCDs have fast response times.
your looking at 8-ms timing on a sub $300 17inch lcd now a-days vrs's the 25ms 17inches 4yrs ago going for $5-600..

sooo you will not see the blur in games unless a. you buy crazy cheap ($150 or less) b. maybe if you filming your screen with an external video source (aka a camera) or c. you have superhuman eyes that can detect **any* movment

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:29 AM   #34
tomjasz
Banned

Drives: 07 Black Yaris LB, 05 Camry LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles
Actually it is about time for an upgrade. My last system has lasted 6 years, but I bought a micro-tower case and am planning on loading it with a dual core 64-bit AMD soon. Nerds, drool.

Attachment 1576

recently finished a dual core with a terabyte of HDD, 4 mb of mem and two DVD RW. Smokin' gotta love those dual core AMD's!!!
tomjasz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 11:36 AM   #35
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjasz
recently finished a dual core with a terabyte of HDD, 4 mb of mem and two DVD RW. Smokin' gotta love those dual core AMD's!!!
1337. HAHA!

I can't wait for mine! UGH if I wasn't getting my windows tinted next week I'd have the bitch on its way from tiger direct!
Old 09-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #36
vodkalush
I drive a yarrrris

Drives: 07 Sedan Polar White
Send a message via AIM to vodkalush
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomjasz
only 4mb ram?? are u atleast gonna dual boot 3.11 and os2??

Docotrs say all the drikning has mesesd up my seplilng and radieng

will work for parts
vodkalush is offline   Reply With Quote