Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-13-2006, 10:45 PM   #1
jbird

Drives: wannabe
Diesel Yaris coming to US?

Anyone have any idea whether Toyota will offer the Yaris D-4D in the US in the future? The fuel economy specifications translate to about 55 mpg (US gallons) which beats the Prius on the highway. The new diesel regulations and wanting to keep the Prius as the most fuel efficient US model that Toyota offers probably mean that it will not be coming. A Yaris with a diesel engine capable of using biodiesel would be an awesome "green machine," but sadly probably will not be built out of fear of canabilizing the sales of the Prius.
jbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
it would be nice if it came to this side of the pond, but i haven't heard of any plans
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:43 PM   #3
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
It would be nice to have more choices. I won't mind the slower acceleration if I can get the good fuel economy and durability that is usually associated with diesel engines.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 11:48 PM   #4
PSU Yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan S
i doubt it comes here. hmm does toyota sell ANY diesels in america???
PSU Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:48 AM   #5
chuchu

Drives: 97 Impreza
Doubtful. However, keep in mind the Prius will get even better mpg in the coming years.
chuchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 01:22 AM   #6
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
Then we can convert it to run on corn oil and spend $0.10 a gallon :) (thats really possible btw)
pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
Uglyboyed

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S Flint Mica
Send a message via AIM to Uglyboyed Send a message via Yahoo to Uglyboyed
they already have some car come out running on half "ethenol" (something like that). but i heard that in the future there hoping to make the prius go 100mpg...
Uglyboyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 11:01 AM   #8
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbird
Anyone have any idea whether Toyota will offer the Yaris D-4D in the US in the future? The fuel economy specifications translate to about 55 mpg (US gallons) which beats the Prius on the highway. The new diesel regulations and wanting to keep the Prius as the most fuel efficient US model that Toyota offers probably mean that it will not be coming. A Yaris with a diesel engine capable of using biodiesel would be an awesome "green machine," but sadly probably will not be built out of fear of canabilizing the sales of the Prius.

I think you just anwsered your own question As much as it would be nice to bring some diesels here, there's simply no market or very small, I know some German companies such as Mercedes and VW and some others offer some...but as you said tougher regulations that go into effect next year or for next year and also the Prius...and I'm betting Toyota is more concerned with Hybrids than diesels for the NA market, in fact its the opposite in Europe where they were skectical about hybrids and Toyota is trying to push for them there...maybe Toyota will combined the two as many are saying they should...we shall see my friend!
Old 06-14-2006, 02:29 PM   #9
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uglyboyed
they already have some car come out running on half "ethenol" (something like that). but i heard that in the future there hoping to make the prius go 100mpg...
Thats E85, its 85% Ethenol (made from corn in the USA so you wont see any imports usin it ) and 15% Gas and most GM's and Fords can use it right now. But i mean you can seriously covert a diesel to run on corn oil, like when your done fryin some eggs just pop the rest into your gas tank

The prius also will more than likely have to be plugged in at night time to get 100+mpg tho (which i would'nt mind doing :)
pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #10
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
No, the reason it won't come here is because they'd have to train every Toyota mechanic in the US how to work on diesel engines. Additionally, the US still doesn't have low-sulphur fuel, although it's supposed to happen soon. But I doubt they'll go diesel - it's too much of a marketing hassle in the US, where diesel has a bad image. They'll introduce flex fuel vehicles before they would go diesel.

And the comments about cannabilizing Prius sales is horeshit. They can't make enough of them at this point, and while it's a great PR car - Toyota isn't making money off them.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 04:00 PM   #11
PMCRW

Drives: Hyundai Accent
you're talking about the United States here. Remember land of the free home of the gas guzzuling consumer. You only drive diesel in this country if you are making freight deliveries or if you are Shaquile O'Neal. I'd rather see a hybrid version or an Ethanol version....
PMCRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 05:05 PM   #12
Uglyboyed

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan S Flint Mica
Send a message via AIM to Uglyboyed Send a message via Yahoo to Uglyboyed
???? uum if you have to plug it in. isnt ur electric bill going to sky rocket?

If thats the case i'll plug it in my neighbors house. lol
Uglyboyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 06:53 PM   #13
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Kudos my friend!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:58 PM   #14
PSU Yaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan S
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats hilarious
PSU Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:16 PM   #15
weeze-dog

Drives: 2002 Ford Focus ZX3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECHOKnight2000
I think you just anwsered your own question As much as it would be nice to bring some diesels here, there's simply no market or very small, I know some German companies such as Mercedes and VW and some others offer some...but as you said tougher regulations that go into effect next year or for next year and also the Prius...and I'm betting Toyota is more concerned with Hybrids than diesels for the NA market, in fact its the opposite in Europe where they were skectical about hybrids and Toyota is trying to push for them there...maybe Toyota will combined the two as many are saying they should...we shall see my friend!
Actually there is a market in the US. Volkswagon's sales of diesel vehicles jumped to 22% of total sales so far this year, that's up from 14% in the same period of 2005. US buyers are really looking at diesels again with the increased gasoline prices.
Chrysler has sold almost 10,000 of the Jeep Liberty diesels since it appeared in showrooms in early 2005—double the expected number.
There was a stigma leftover from horrible diesels from the 70s and 80s. Newer diesels are nothing like those old machines.
The fact is, the quickest way to fuel effecient vehicles is diesel. It already has the infrastructure in gas stations.
E85 isn't worth it. E85 has about 80-85% of the energy of gas. Gas has 80-85% of the energy of diesel. Really Diesel has about 40% more energy content then E85. And there is only 155 gas stations in the US that carry E85. Plus once alot of E85 vehicles are on the road, it will drive up the price of E85 gas since ethnol production can't meet the high demand. Then you are stuck with cars that get bad mileage, while paying almost as much as for regular gas.
Check out www.greencarcongress.com, there's a ton of info on diesels, hybrids, and all other green technologies.
Edit: Also, as of June 1, all oil refineries have to produce ultra low sulfur diesel at atleast 80% of their production capacity, and as of october this year, all retail gas stations selling diesel have to carry ULSD. So we should see some diesel cars in the 2008 models, but it will most likely be larger cars/SUVs in diesel and not small cars.
weeze-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 06:20 PM   #16
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Thanks weeze-dog for the information! Yeah I guess the stigma is changing about diesels in the U.S., which is good and you do have a point that today's diesel technology has greatly improved. Thanks again
Old 06-15-2006, 10:23 PM   #17
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
The biggest problem with diesels is the emmisions.

The current diesels put out by VW & MB already cannot meet emmisions in California, New England or New York.

Maybe low sulfur fuel will help.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:00 PM   #18
weeze-dog

Drives: 2002 Ford Focus ZX3
Yeah VW built a bunch of extra 2006 models because they are dropping the 2007 model of diesels because they can't meet the newer stricter standards for 2007. They are dropping them for a year or two. The problem is the VERY strict requirements on NOx that are going in place, requiring some exotic means to reach on a diesel. Its only the EPA requirement on NOx that is causing the big issue. Only Honda or Toyota (can't remember which) has developed a low NOx diesel engine without the use of a crazy means to reduce NOx like pee in a bottle (urea),

Here's another snippet, you can see the market is definately growing:
Data compiled by R.L. Polk & Co. and released by the Diesel Technology Forum (DTF) show that registration of light-duty diesel passenger vehicles in the US jumped 31% in 2005 from the year before. Registrations of light- and medium-duty diesel passenger vehicles have grown 80% since 2000—up from 301,000 diesel vehicles that year to 543,777 diesel registrations in 2005.

In the light-duty market, diesel registrations nearly doubled (95% growth) between 2000 and 2005, climbing from 22,543 to 44,031. When given a choice between a gasoline or diesel engine, consumers purchased the diesel engine option almost half the time (45%) in 2005. By contrast, sales of light-duty gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles hit 205,749 in 2005.

Gasoline hybrids and flexible-fueled ethanol vehicles aren’t the only fuel-efficient choices consumers have today.
—Allen Schaeffer, DTF executive director

Medium-duty vehicles (such as the Chevrolet Silverado, Dodge Ram, Ford F-Series and GMC Sierra Trucks) represent the bulk of the light-and medium-duty diesel sales in the US: 477,853 units in 2005, or 88% of the total.

Most analysts expect the diesel trend to continue due in part to rising fuel prices and the desire to improve US vehicle efficiency. Diesel offer a 20% to 40% improvement in fuel economy against comparable gasoline engines.

Researchers at J.D. Power and Associates predict that diesel sales will approximately triple in the next 10 years, accounting for more than 10% of US vehicle sales by 2015, up from 3.6% in 2005 and 2.25% in 2000.
weeze-dog is offline   Reply With Quote