Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
The Shape

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
USA 5 door question

I know the 5 door only comes in auto in the USA , but what abou the rest of the world? If the manual 5 door exist do you think the USA will get it eventually? My wife has an '07 auto sedan and I love it to the point of thinking about getting anothe Yaris for me. I really like the 5 door, but would prefer a manual.
The Shape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:21 PM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
that's a question only the brainiacs at Toyota's marketing department can answer... Apart from the doors, the cars are pretty much identical between 3 and 5 door, there's no valid technical reason why they can't offer a 5-door manual in the USA...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
The Shape

I don't really hate the auto in our sedan. It is nice in heavy traffic, but I bet the manual is really a blast to drive.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #4
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
couldn't live without it

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 01:26 AM   #5
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
couldn't live without it

TEASER
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 03:41 AM   #6
advocate

Drives: car
the car is a DREAM to drive in manual. first / second gear really haul since the car is so light (as long as you apply the gas sufficiently =) )
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #7
Rule870
I've made a post!

Drives: 1999 Corolla 3AT
AT vs MT

After shifting "manually" from L through D (5AT) on my '07 Camry's gated shifter, I think I've had a change of heart. Since the 4AT Yaris makes almost an identical FE as the 5MT, and since you can shift "manually" from L through D (4AT), I would accept the 5-door with it's 4AT.

Upsides: Stop-and-Go traffic (no clutch-play in D), City traffic (hands on wheel in D) and my wife and oldest son can drive it if need be. Downside: Acceleration as needed (on-ramps and at lights with lead-footed drivers behind me). However, this "downside" should be greatly minimized by shifting "manually" at appropriate RPM's to obtain satisfactory acceleration.

Even though I've driven manuals for over 30 years, I still would stall out or have a clumsy shift from time to time. Since my focus now is on FE and semi-hypermiling, I am satisfied with the acceleration of an Economy Car with AT ('99 corolla - 3AT).
Rule870 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
The Shape

It does suck in heavy traffic. I like the way the A/T shifter is gated to make it easy to downshift out of OD. My Tacoma is the same way.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
I've become an advocate of automatic transmissions over the past couple of years. Like Rule, I've got over 30 years driving experience and have always preferred a stick shift for the "thrill" of it. However, in 1995 I bought a VW Passat sedan with an auto and it was quite comfortable to drive. In 1999, I bought a Passat wagon for myself and it was a 5-speed. The difference in acceleration was quite noticable, but in traffic it sucked.

Almost two years ago I bought a Jeep LJ Wrangler with an auto. I test drove both a manual and an auto, and most offroad enthusiasts use autos, so I went with one. For offroading, it is a lot better.

Then, two months ago I went shopping for a Yaris to replace my Passat wagon. The vast majority of Yarii we looked at were autos, and I was told that is because they sell a lot better in the States. I ended up with an auto, and find it peppy enough. I don't think you're gonna wrangle a lot more horsepower out of the 1.5L engine even with the stick shift. It is not a torque monster like the VR6 I had in my Passat.

Yeah, I miss the power of my VW, but I don't miss the 20-23 MPG I got with it. The Yaris with an auto is still fun to drive, and it takes a little more technique to keep up the momentum but I can easily keep up and even pass most of the cars I encounter on my way to work. I understand the Yaris is an economy car, so its power isn't going to knock you out of your seat; but it still isn't nearly as dogged out as some of the 1.0L diesels I get as rentals in Europe.

Plus, as The Shape has mentioned, you can always "downshift" into 3rd with an auto!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #10
Carrot Top

Drives: 2008 Copper Orange LE HB
In Canada...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shape View Post
I know the 5 door only comes in auto in the USA , but what abou the rest of the world? If the manual 5 door exist do you think the USA will get it eventually? My wife has an '07 auto sedan and I love it to the point of thinking about getting anothe Yaris for me. I really like the 5 door, but would prefer a manual.
I cannot believe that you can only get the 5 door in auto! Thats crazy when we in Canada have the choice in 5 speed or auto.
I prefer manual but my husband doesn't have the patience for 5 speed.

Its still a fun car to drive either way!
Old 11-29-2008, 08:11 PM   #11
The Shape

I agree it is still fun with the auto. I would probably be better off with the auto for everyday driving anyway.