Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-09-2016, 11:46 AM   #1
VaultTec

Drives: 2016 Yaris SE
Toyota Care

My 2016 Yaris SE is at 4980 miles and I was wondering if I can just take it now to Toyota for service as part of their "6 months or 5k miles" thing? I won't have time to go for a while. Also. Since I have Toyota Care. Do I need to bring any paper work with me or do they already know I have said care plan just by looking up my cars info? One last thing. Do I pull into the quick lube section or is this an appointment based thing? From what I read they'll be looking at the fluids and topping any off, changing the oil, a multi point inspection and finally rotating the tires. Thanks in advance. I'm a work and can't call :(
VaultTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:46 PM   #2
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
I took my 2015 in at 48XX miles with no issue. Your VIN is already in the system, so they know it is free service, and no paperwork, etc. required. I made appointments for my 5k/10K service, but I'm sure it's no biggie if you don't, since it is all basic maintenance work.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 11:51 PM   #3
tarkus

Drives: 2006 Yaris RS 3-Door
Once the free services were used up for my wife's Camry, we got out of the greedy clutches of the Toyota dealer as fast as possible. Their hourly rates are pretty high, and the services are just a pretext to find things to do, that often aren't that necessary at the time.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
tarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #4
VaultTec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I took my 2015 in at 48XX miles with no issue. Your VIN is already in the system, so they know it is free service, and no paperwork, etc. required. I made appointments for my 5k/10K service, but I'm sure it's no biggie if you don't, since it is all basic maintenance work.

Yes, thanks for the heads up. I made an appointment but was told it would take a few hours :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarkus View Post
Once the free services were used up for my wife's Camry, we got out of the greedy clutches of the Toyota dealer as fast as possible. Their hourly rates are pretty high, and the services are just a pretext to find things to do, that often aren't that necessary at the time.

Normally I would do it all myself or it it's too time consuming I'll take it to a reputable shop. However when I bought this car I had the intention of using it as a daily driver for work so I didn't wanna risk it and made sure it's taken care it as best as possible.
Old 06-10-2016, 02:32 PM   #5
tarkus

I was lucky to find a really smart mechanic, and have been running both cars problem free for the last several years. By contrast I've had some really bad experiences with the (in)competence of main dealers.

Old 06-10-2016, 04:09 PM   #6
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaultTec View Post
My 2016 Yaris SE is at 4980 miles and I was wondering if I can just take it now to Toyota for service as part of their "6 months or 5k miles" thing? I won't have time to go for a while. Also. Since I have Toyota Care. Do I need to bring any paper work with me or do they already know I have said care plan just by looking up my cars info? One last thing. Do I pull into the quick lube section or is this an appointment based thing? From what I read they'll be looking at the fluids and topping any off, changing the oil, a multi point inspection and finally rotating the tires. Thanks in advance. I'm a work and can't call :(

This new 2016 first service is the biggest rip off that Toyota has implemented , its a waist of money and time , we have started this and its 57$ for a visual inspection and tire rotation but no oil change .
The only car that is exempt from 16km oil changes is the Yaris at least in Canada .
Honesty do u think anything should be wrong with a car that has 8k or less its nothing but a scam to keep ppl coming back do to longer oil intervals .
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:44 PM   #7
VaultTec

It says on the Toyota site "2 years or 25,000 miles, whichever comes first. 24-hour roadside assistance is also included for 2 years and unlimited miles." for Toyota Care. Which is what I have. I've owned many cars, most being Toyota and none experienced issues that early. However being that this is a car I use to go to work. I can't take the risk of it crapping out on me one day. It's just a peace of mind thing honestly. Plus it'll look good when I sell / trade it in later on.
Old 06-13-2016, 12:17 PM   #8
tarkus

Given the IQ/competence level of most dealer staff, I don't see how that would give you much peace of mind. If anything, you should be deeply worried. The amount of stupid f/ups I've had done to my own cars by authorized dealers is just incredible. I've found reliable independents to be much smarter and more trustworthy, as well as saving me *lots* of money.

Sure you get free roadside recovery from Toyota, but quite honestly, you will save much more by getting your work done by an independent mechanic, and paying for AAA (or CAA in Canada). That's what I wish I had done in the past, instead of allowing myself to be conned by Toyota. Keep in mind the dealer staff get a commission on the parts they put into your car, and will get you to have stuff changed that's not needed, at least not right then.

I understand if you want to get your service book stamped by a Toyota dealer. In that case only allow them to do the minimum stuff like oil changes, and get any real work (if genuinely required), done by an independent.

Old 06-13-2016, 01:06 PM   #9
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
I just renewed my annual AAA roadside assistance for $45 even though I have 2 new cars that both include free roadside assistance.

Why?

When I'm on a roadtrip 5 states over, I don't expect much help from Toyota Care at 3am in the middle of nowhere!

justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 01:21 PM   #10
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Short Story:

First 30000 miles: change the oil and filter every 5000 miles and rotate the tires then also, front to back.

Thats it.

At 30000 miles change the air filter for the engine and the filter for the climate control.

Continue oil changes/rotations until 60000 miles when you change the AFs again.

Long Story:

Everything else is just an inspection which you can do yourself with a little research.

Read the maintenance schedule in the owners manual!