Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-31-2012, 03:27 PM   #37
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
I love the look of VW's too, but they've been notoriously bad cars in terms of maintenance, breakdowns and cost of ownership for as long as I can remember. (not including the original beetles of course)
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:00 PM   #38
A1an

Drives: '89 Jetta, '07 Rabbit
CanIHaz...I've owned three. My wife worked for a dealer for a few years dealing with Volkswagens of all vintage coming in for service. From first hand experience I can tell you much of what you have stated is completely false.

Lets take a look at global sales as well. GM, Toyota, and (gasp!) Volkswagen are the top three. VW continues to maintain steady growth. Obviously this is a terrible company that makes substandard vehicles.

The thing about most people who speak ill of a specific manufacturer is they have ZERO first hand experience with the brand. They have a friend (or in your case a more scientific sample of three), or read somewhere on the Internet, or talked to some guy, or....
A1an is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:57 PM   #39
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Drives: 2012 Yaris 3-door w/5-speed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
CanIHaz...I've owned three. My wife worked for a dealer for a few years dealing with Volkswagens of all vintage coming in for service. From first hand experience I can tell you much of what you have stated is completely false.

Lets take a look at global sales as well. GM, Toyota, and (gasp!) Volkswagen are the top three. VW continues to maintain steady growth. Obviously this is a terrible company that makes substandard vehicles.

The thing about most people who speak ill of a specific manufacturer is they have ZERO first hand experience with the brand. They have a friend (or in your case a more scientific sample of three), or read somewhere on the Internet, or talked to some guy, or....
Yep, we're all imagining these things...It's us, not the cars, right?

Size means nothing: before bankruptcy and terrible quality, GM was tied 1-1 with Toyota for largest manufacturer in the world.

Where did you buy your VWs, where they are all flawless machines that last forever and never break down? I want to buy my GTI at THAT dealership!!!

The data stands.

Cheers.
CanIHazYarisHatch? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #40
A1an

For your sake I hope you are more thorough with research for school projects. Three friends worth of data is the equivalent of writing your senior thesis using Wikipedia as the sole source. I'm done wasting time with you.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #41
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1an View Post
For your sake I hope you are more thorough with research for school projects. Three friends worth of data is the equivalent of writing your senior thesis using Wikipedia as the sole source. I'm done wasting time with you.
I have taken a simple random sample (SRS) of dozens of my customers and colleagues, over the course of three, nearly four years. I told you why; I was considering a VW Rabbit 3-door, with it's abysmal 2.5 liter boat anchor five-cylinder engine.

I know my three VW friends very well, and we talk cars all the time, which is why this has come up. I have heard the stories. I have seen the absurd receipts from the dealer to fix things that should not break on a car just out of warranty.

Look at the "meat and potatoes" of my posts on this matter. I have defended my points, why haven't you? It's fine we disagree, but I (and all the people I have met that have ownership/lease experience with VWs) am not imagining what my(and their) eyes see when it comes to VW. This is why they are not, and will never be on my list; they love screwing their customers.

I don't like feeling ripped-off. That's why I bought a new Toyota, because I can trust my life with it.

Cheers.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:09 AM   #42
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
I love the look of VW's too, but they've been notoriously bad cars in terms of maintenance, breakdowns and cost of ownership for as long as I can remember. (not including the original beetles of course)
I have a 74 standard beetle which I am trying to restore.I'll get this project done and hopefully she'll be on the road again. I pay more attention to this car than my Yaris.But the Yaris is my daily driver. I enjoy driving it.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:20 AM   #43
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by junorico24 View Post
I have a 74 standard beetle which I am trying to restore.I'll get this project done and hopefully she'll be on the road again. I pay more attention to this car than my Yaris.But the Yaris is my daily driver. I enjoy driving it.
Those old air-cooled car are still fantastic, even today.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 AM   #44
junorico24

Drives: toyota yaris yrs
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanIHazYarisHatch? View Post
Those old air-cooled car are still fantastic, even today.

The bug needs TLC.

The Yaris i have had no problems with.Taken it every where.It's dependable and cheap on gas it's still going strong.I took it for a long trips with no dramas at all.It's impressive.12 hour trip to and 12 hour back with 4 passengers.Car just handled that like a pro.So it deserves some respect Mr VW Rabbit owner.
junorico24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #45
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
The bug needs TLC.

The Yaris i have had no problems with.Taken it every where.It's dependable and cheap on gas it's still going strong.I took it for a long trips with no dramas at all.It's impressive.12 hour trip to and 12 hour back with 4 passengers.Car just handled that like a pro.So it deserves some respect Mr VW Rabbit owner.
That's why I love mine!
Old 02-03-2012, 08:06 PM   #46
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
I've owned two bugs, a '66 and '68. Both of them awesome cars. The '66 was my first car and only big project car - after I wrecked it and only got BB value for it I decided all those mods aren't worth it. Oversized pistons, performance cam, rods, valves, Holley 2 Barrel carb etc. Fiberglass hood with deep wells, fiberglass flared fenders and fat tires. Wood paneled interior, new gauges and controls etc.

It was fun while it lasted until some drunk driver failed to yield at an intersection, nailed me and totaled it.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #47
CanIHazYarisHatch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
I've owned two bugs, a '66 and '68. Both of them awesome cars. The '66 was my first car and only big project car - after I wrecked it and only got BB value for it I decided all those mods aren't worth it. Oversized pistons, performance cam, rods, valves, Holley 2 Barrel carb etc. Fiberglass hood with deep wells, fiberglass flared fenders and fat tires. Wood paneled interior, new gauges and controls etc.

It was fun while it lasted until some drunk driver failed to yield at an intersection, nailed me and totaled it.
What a waste, man.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #48
A1an

Quote:
The bug needs TLC.

At no point did I doubt the Yaris' capabilities. I wouldn't have been on board with ordering our SE if I didn't think it was a good car...particularly at the price we were given.

Glad to see it is comfy on long road trips. We are planning another road trip up to NJ and will probably take the Yaris over the Rabbit since it is a pain getting a kid in and out of a 2 door. Our last trip was in my old V6 Passat wagon...18 hours straight each way plus a long side trip to bumblef-k PA. That car was so underpowered for city driving but loved to cruise on the highway. Best part was the massive hatch to transport cases of beer and whatnot back down to FL. Going to have to get creative with the Yaris. Slightly more cargo room than the Rabbit but the kid's crap probably takes up 3/4 of the cargo space. Less beer for daddy this time. :(

Last edited by A1an; 02-04-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:13 PM   #49
Spidermandud

Drives: Black '08 Yaris Hatch S
Worked on a vw rail buggy project once, it was cash. Only vehicle I've ever been scared in as far as I can remember. Thing would burn out in mud, on land, on gravel, asphalt, you name it. I guess I was only like 14 though. . .

As far as vw's in general go; I've had two friends with jetta's that have gone down the drain right out of the gate. I've also had some friends absolutely thrash beetles, which just seem like you can't kill no matter how hard ya try. I guess it's kinda how most people know to stay away from a Chevy Cobalt, even if they're a die-hard Chevy fan. Or how all off-roaders stay away from dodge. There's goods and bads to everything.