Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-28-2022, 01:39 AM   #1
RMcG

Drives: 2008 Yaris Base Hatchback
Can anybody recommend a ceramic coating for paint?

I am in the process of trying to improve the appearance of my car that has extensive peeling clear coat. I've attached some pictures. I want to do a DIY job at this point, mainly on the roof and areas adjacent to the roof. I just want something that will make the car look reasonable from a distance, will last at least 6-12 months and will offer some protection before I do something that is longer lasting.

I am considering a paint prep of removing the remaining clear coat with the edge of an old credit card, pressure wash, wet sanding, rub & buff and then a good wax OR a ceramic coating (with whatever the prep required for the ceramic coating).

I have seen various DIY ceramic coatings talked about on the internet, such as CarPro CQuartz and
Optimum (20055) Gloss-Coat. There are other ceramic coatings too. Here for example is a cheaper one that is rated highly on Amazon and has a "2 year warranty."

QUESTION(S): Can anybody recommend a ceramic coating for the paint on the roof and adjacent areas?

Are ceramic coatings really better and longer lasting protection than a good wax?

Thanks,

R.

IMG_20220618_155137.jpg

IMG_20220618_155142.jpg

IMG_20220618_155147.jpg

IMG_20220618_155155.jpg

IMG_20220618_181249.jpg
RMcG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 06:05 PM   #2
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMcG View Post

I am considering a paint prep of removing the remaining clear coat with the edge of an old credit card, pressure wash, wet sanding, rub & buff and then a good wax OR a ceramic coating (with whatever the prep required for the ceramic coating).

QUESTION(S): Can anybody recommend a ceramic coating for the paint on the roof and adjacent areas?

Are ceramic coatings really better and longer lasting protection than a good wax?

Thanks,

R.
Way late of a reply...but just in case for you, or anyone reading this later.

I actually tried going down that path. Removing the clear coat is rathe difficult. Only the stuff flaking and bubbling off is easy to remove. - I then went to sanding. Quickly went through the color coat and into the primer coat. didn't take much.

From the two coatings you mentioned, i've tried both, I'd prefer the CarPro UK3.0. I used this on a friend's 4Runner. From the various detailers I'm friends with (i do it on the side as well), UK3.0 is a nice coating and has pretty good durability.

Coating vs Wax? Yes, they are better and longer lasting.

Poorboy's World offers a coating that I like and is way easier on the wallet.

In the end, I had my car painted at a budget paint shop for about 1500.

I plan on wet sanding it myself, then applying a ceramic coating.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 04:34 AM   #3
WorldTraveler

Drives: 2009 Toyota Corolla
That's really helpful to know about how difficult removing the clear coat can be. Appreciate the coating recommendations too.

A couple questions - with a product like the Poorboy's coating, about how long would you estimate the protection and slickness would last? Also, when it starts to fade, is it as simple as a light buffer and recoat or does it need more prep work?

Leaning towards just biting the bullet for a full repaint at this point rather than struggling with patching it up. But good to have these ceramic options in my back pocket for other projects down the road.
WorldTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceramic, coat