Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-22-2022, 12:04 AM   #1
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
factory or after market tinted glass?

ok soooo since lifes changed and im spending ALOT of hours in the sun driving...for the first time in my life im looking for tint..and its actually legal to do in oregon...it wasnt decades back

however..i dont want to do "film" if i can help it..or..atleast not long term, so im wondering what if any tinted glass was made for an 07 5dr?...looks like the 3drs had an option for privacy glass on the rear sides atleast...but that does me no good on a 5dr

the glass in the car currently has ZERO tint to it..its crystal clear all the way around

id even be intrested in glass that may have been euro or jdm market only...IE if someone made tinted glass for it at any time..chances are someone somewhere has some or still makes some..

yes ive hunted google with mixed results and nothing "confirmed"
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 07:43 PM   #2
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
Just get it tinted by a reputable tint guy, it'll be alot easier and cheaper.

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 08:05 PM   #3
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9521 View Post
Just get it tinted by a reputable tint guy, it'll be alot easier and cheaper.
sure, but factory tint doesnt mar scuff or scratch and is 110% legal, 5.0 can get real touchy when it comes to tint.....especialy when it comes to front and back glass

ive done good tint jobs on friends cars before with good quality stuff, its just not what i "want" in the end...for me film is temporary ....my local supply shop stocks llumar
Old 07-23-2022, 03:37 PM   #4
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
just get those stixk on suction cup screen things, i dont know what they are called
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 01:42 PM   #5
bladesmith6

Drives: 2007 yaris HB
i get it that you are cautious but as long as you get one of the higher light transmission tints you should be fine. its the stuff that cops cannot see thru that they are worried about. i have had the same tint on my car for about 12-13 years with very few scratches. just ask around and see who has a good rep and tell the guy/girl FIRMLY you are NOT doing it for looks and are very concerned about law enforcement and that you want one of lightest tints in a either 3m or something comparable.
bladesmith6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2022, 02:28 PM   #6
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
the glass in the car currently has ZERO tint to it..its crystal clear all the way around
What do you mean has ZERO tint? I've never seen a Yaris of any model year/trim level with glass having the fish bowl clarity of '80s or prior vehicles.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:07 PM   #7
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
What do you mean has ZERO tint? I've never seen a Yaris of any model year/trim level with glass having the fish bowl clarity of '80s or prior vehicles.
well this ones got the same tint level of a typical cheep drinking glass ie nothing...theres a "tinge" of blue/green on the hatch piece only.....seriously its crystal clear

from the digging ive done there was clear and there was the blue/green on the 5dr's but the jdm market had "privacy glass" option for the 2dr rear glass...beyond that i found snipets of possible euro market 5drs having some level of smoked tint but couldnt verify or find part numbers...seems the 2drs got more love
Old 07-25-2022, 11:12 PM   #8
mannycheckers

Drives: 2009 Yaris 2dr Liftback
High quality ceramic tints from Llumar or 3M is probably going to be your best bet. Some mfrs even have tints that block UV and IR but allow 90% visible light. I have that on my windshield and it does help the car stay cooler in the summer.
mannycheckers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 02:27 AM   #9
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
i removedmy tint, best decision i ever made, can see so clear and when i go to car shows people can see my interior thats in mint condition
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:46 AM   #10
Flubby

Drives: 2015 Yaris
The DIY films never looks good. Sometimes it takes time but eventually they will shrivel. Take it to a pro that also is going to keep your tint within state limits.
Flubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 03:13 PM   #11
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flubby View Post
The DIY films never looks good. Sometimes it takes time but eventually they will shrivel. Take it to a pro that also is going to keep your tint within state limits.
biggest trick with DIY is that you start with pro quality tint LOL

i tinted the rear windows in my ramcharger back in the mid 90s...still looks just as good today

i used llumar on the yaris side rears, havnt been able to get the heat/curve right for the front sides so im on a hunt for someone who will do it with my supplyed tint and the glass OUT of the car....you end up with a longer lasting tint that way..but shops HATE doing it that way