Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2009, 01:25 PM   #1
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback
0W20

I know this issue has been talked about extensively, but I am wondering if anyone has used 0w20 for a while and what has been there experience with it? I see contradicting info on using 0w20 and I am curious if someone has actually been using it, what is their experience with it, and have they experienced any engine damage as a result.

Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles!

daf62757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:18 PM   #2
1stToyota

Drives: 2013 Chevy Spark 1LT 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by daf62757 View Post
I know this issue has been talked about extensively, but I am wondering if anyone has used 0w20 for a while and what has been there experience with it? I see contradicting info on using 0w20 and I am curious if someone has actually been using it, what is their experience with it, and have they experienced any engine damage as a result.
I don't use it because owner's manual and cap states 5w30, and Toyota TSB adds 5w20 as a suitable viscosity for the 1NZ-FE Yaris 1.5 ...no where does Toyota list 0w20 for the Yaris, but sites for Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc do list 0w20, so believe who you want. I wouldn't chance it unless you're in a cold climate. Some that have used it mention increased noise.

I know that too thick of a viscosity can have a detrimental effect on cars with VVT, don't know if the same holds true with an oil that's too thin.

1997 Lincoln Town Car - SOLD
2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
1stToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
I don't use it because owner's manual and cap states 5w30, and Toyota TSB adds 5w20 as a suitable viscosity for the 1NZ-FE Yaris 1.5 ...no where does Toyota list 0w20 for the Yaris, but sites for Mobil 1, Amsoil, etc do list 0w20, so believe who you want. I wouldn't chance it unless you're in a cold climate. Some that have used it mention increased noise.

I know that too thick of a viscosity can have a detrimental effect on cars with VVT, don't know if the same holds true with an oil that's too thin.
Agree with pretty much everything, but I still wouldn't chance it even in cold climates. Best case scenario, you'll break even in gas savings vs wear and tear. Worst case you snap a rod. Its still a chance, but the difference is your car is still under warranty with 5w20.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Split

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
AMSoil SAE 0W-20 100% Synthetic Motor Oil all year round here!
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:21 PM   #5
360cubes

Drives: 2000
Send a message via MSN to 360cubes
0W20 or even 0W30 won't cause engine damage. The only engines that don't like different viscosity are the HEMI MDS and GM's DOD engines. They're particular about running nothing but 5W20. You could run 15W40 even in a VVT-i engine for all the dealer knows. They won't spend the money to test oil viscosity if a warranty repair comes up. 0W20 will allow for smoother starting in cold climates as the oil will move faster to all vital components. As long as the oil you want to use is labeled on the bottle that it is compatible with a particular manufacturer then there's nothing to worry about. I run Amsoil in all my vehicles with different viscosity. Amsoil even backs up their product with their own warranty should anything happen to the engine and it was proven that the oil was at fault - Amsoil will cover the expense. I've been an Amsoil dealer for four years and have sold thousands of quarts to people with everything from a '08 Audi A8 to a '89 VW Rabbit diesel.
360cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

I see all you Canuks use the 0w20, but here in mid America, is it OK?

Old 03-21-2009, 11:37 PM   #7
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
Yes it's ok. Until 0w20 reaches operating temperatures it's lighter and it may free up a microscopic amount more miles per gallon, but if ultimate engine life is your key, or if you drive agressive, stick with the 5w30, or 0w30. In European HTHS ( high temperature high shear)testing 2O weight oils don't meet the standard. The test is run at 150C which simulates the temerature in the main bearings of most engines.
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #8
dallas

Drives: Yaris Hatch /Landrover D2
Your from Edmonton I see, you deal with the guys at Matrix Motorsports in Mayfield Toyota?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
AMSoil SAE 0W-20 100% Synthetic Motor Oil all year round here!
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:12 PM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
I'm using Amsoil 0W-20. I love this stuff, along with their EA filter.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:18 PM   #10
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

I don't know if the price difference between Amsoil and Mobile 1 is worth the difference. Can anyone explain why the Amsoil is worth so much more?

Old 03-23-2009, 08:14 AM   #11
1stToyota

0W20 not approved in Toyota TSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360cubes View Post
0W20 or even 0W30 won't cause engine damage. The only engines that don't like different viscosity are the HEMI MDS and GM's DOD engines. They're particular about running nothing but 5W20. You could run 15W40 even in a VVT-i engine for all the dealer knows. They won't spend the money to test oil viscosity if a warranty repair comes up. 0W20 will allow for smoother starting in cold climates as the oil will move faster to all vital components. As long as the oil you want to use is labeled on the bottle that it is compatible with a particular manufacturer then there's nothing to worry about. I run Amsoil in all my vehicles with different viscosity. Amsoil even backs up their product with their own warranty should anything happen to the engine and it was proven that the oil was at fault - Amsoil will cover the expense. I've been an Amsoil dealer for four years and have sold thousands of quarts to people with everything from a '08 Audi A8 to a '89 VW Rabbit diesel.
The dealer will probably know if it fouls up an actuator for running too thick of a viscosity, or if they decide to run about a $20.00 UOA. Diagnostic charges won't be covered under warranty. Is the GM 3.9L DOD? It sure hated not having the correct viscosity of 5w-30.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 03-23-2009, 08:48 AM   #12
1stToyota

Quote:
I don't know if the price difference between Amsoil and Mobile 1 is worth the difference. Can anyone explain why the Amsoil is worth so much more?
I wouldn't pay any extra for Amsoil's XL series. It's the only one with the API approval stamp, and it's also only A1/B1 ACEA rated, with base stock of 3. You can find equal or better rated oils at discounted prices. That was for Amsoil's XL series...their better oils are higher rated, better additives and higher base, but not API approved; worth the extra money if you don't mind the catch 22.

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD
Old 03-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #13
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I've used the 0w-20 from amsoil and it worked great. The only reason I'm using 5w-30 amsoil right now is the last time I bought amsoil, I got the 5w stuff for my girlfriends old car and we got rid of it before I changed the oil. Figured it shouldn't go to waste.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
Almost all of the AMSoil line-up is "true" synthetic (commonly referred to as 'group 4'), Mobil 1 is an extremely hydrocracked dyno oil (referred to as group 3 or 3), meaning not "truly" synthetic in that sense, but acceptable by the governments definitions.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:44 AM   #15
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
toyota canada does not recognize 5w-20...i think this is only usa.
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:52 AM   #16
1stToyota

Amsoil considers Group III synthetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemachine69 View Post
Almost all of the AMSoil line-up is "true" synthetic (commonly referred to as 'group 4'), Mobil 1 is an extremely hydrocracked dyno oil (referred to as group 3 or 3), meaning not "truly" synthetic in that sense, but acceptable by the governments definitions.
I think they (Amsoil) might even have some 'group 5' products, but not so sure about their XL series being anything but 'group 3' ...or at least that's what I was told about their popular XL series.

edit:

http://www.amsoil.com/articlespr/article_xl7500.aspx

All Amsoil XL series is group III to get API approval:

"AMSOIL Changes XL-7500 Formula To Enhance Oils, Stay Competitive

Q: AMSOIL will be using a different formula for its XL-7500 Motor Oils. Why did AMSOIL change the formula?

A: Our XL-7500 oils are the oils of choice in the retail oil change market, and primarily because of warranty concerns the customers in this market require API-certified oils. In order to obtain API SL/ILSAC GF-3 certification and still remain cost-competitive with the other oils sold at retail oil change outlets, we had to change to Group III basestocks. To obtain API certification with our top tier basestocks would have priced our Dealers out of the market.

Q: Are Group III basestocks synthetic?

A: Yes, they are synthetic. Group III base oils are highly processed oils and were classified as synthetic in 1999.That year, the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus ruled in a complaint by Mobil Oil Corp. against Castrol North America Inc. Castrol claimed its product, Syntec, was a synthetic oil even though it had used Group III base oils since 1997. The ruling by NAD said Castrol presented evidence that constitutes a reasonable basis for the claim that Syntec, a Group III based formulation, is synthetic motor oil."

2008 Scion xD
(w/ automatic) - SOLD
2008 Yaris HB - SOLD

Last edited by 1stToyota; 03-23-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:56 PM   #17
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
I use the Mobil 1 0W20 in the winter and 0W30 the rest of the year.
No ill effects after 22K miles in 2008 LB with manual trans.

In a '76 Civic I did put a rod through the aluminum block, but that was due to a defective head gasket from the factory. If you are changing your oil and filter at every 5K (or earlier) you should be fine with the Mobil 1.

Skipping an oil change, or failing to notice steady engine leaks will be much more dangerous to your engine than altering which brand or viscosity you do happen to put in.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:09 PM   #18
daf62757
Nothing beats a Toyota!

A woman that knows her oil! What a catch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stToyota View Post
I think they (Amsoil) might even have some 'group 5' products, but not so sure about their XL series being anything but 'group 3' ...or at least that's what I was told about their popular XL series.

edit:

http://www.amsoil.com/articlespr/article_xl7500.aspx

All Amsoil XL series is group III to get API approval:

"AMSOIL Changes XL-7500 Formula To Enhance Oils, Stay Competitive

Q: AMSOIL will be using a different formula for its XL-7500 Motor Oils. Why did AMSOIL change the formula?

A: Our XL-7500 oils are the oils of choice in the retail oil change market, and primarily because of warranty concerns the customers in this market require API-certified oils. In order to obtain API SL/ILSAC GF-3 certification and still remain cost-competitive with the other oils sold at retail oil change outlets, we had to change to Group III basestocks. To obtain API certification with our top tier basestocks would have priced our Dealers out of the market.

Q: Are Group III basestocks synthetic?

A: Yes, they are synthetic. Group III base oils are highly processed oils and were classified as synthetic in 1999.That year, the National Advertising Division (NAD) of the Council of Better Business Bureaus ruled in a complaint by Mobil Oil Corp. against Castrol North America Inc. Castrol claimed its product, Syntec, was a synthetic oil even though it had used Group III base oils since 1997. The ruling by NAD said Castrol presented evidence that constitutes a reasonable basis for the claim that Syntec, a Group III based formulation, is synthetic motor oil."