Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Does this look like a good turbo build?

Yeah. It's been less than a year since I sold my Yaris. The Fiat wasn't what I thought, the Celica I'm driving now is aggravating, and I can't afford an Abarth 500.

So, I may be looking to get back into a Yaris and I found this gem.

http://www.jabaay.com/2009-Toyota-Ya...-60438/4665990

I had gotten places with my old black Yaris, but didn't get into turbocharging or any serious engine work. Was wondering if any of you gurus can tell from the pictures if this car is a quality build or even if it previously belonged to somebody here. It looks like it has the MI center armrest as well, so whoever owned it was aware of MI, if not YarisWorld.

Thanks again and it's good to see some of the regulars still causing trouble.

EDIT: Didn't mean to crosspost, forgot about the Forced Induction forum.

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
That is not a TRD turbo kit- It looks like a generic aftermarket one (Zage, etc.), but it looks pretty well done, and $9K is a good price for a non turbo 09.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

I figured it wasn't the TRD kit, but it seems like it has a few other parts and looks pretty well put together. I need to run the VIN though before I even think of e-mailing that dealer.

For reference, I paid $8585 OTD for my stock 09 back in January 2010. Did the lowering, wheels, headlights, intake, shift kit and stereo all myself. Only thing I think this one needs is Garm's center exit exhaust.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:08 PM   #4
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
Is Garms Yaris still for sale?

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #5
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazilla View Post
Is Garms Yaris still for sale?
I think so. His thread in FS hasn't said it's sold.

His car is a little too extreme for me, though, when I stopped and thought about it. I do 28 miles of interstate one way to work, usually while hauling a hatch full of pharmecuticals. I need my interior and A/C. There's also the little problem of his car being 2500 miles away from me.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 09-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Looks clean to me, good job on the fuel lines. Any problem with smogging in your state?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:05 PM   #7
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
Looks clean to me, good job on the fuel lines. Any problem with smogging in your state?
Metro Atlanta smog checks, but not the state of Georgia as a whole. No smog in Savannah.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 09-24-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Toyota Direct Injection (TDI)

It's definitely not TRD.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 09:59 PM   #9
Golddeenoh
Takes corners too fast!

Drives: Absolute Red 2009 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Toyota Direct Injection (TDI)

It's definitely not TRD.
^ /concur

yea, that would require the fuel injectors to be directly injecting into the cylinder at the last few degrees of the compression stroke, just before the power stroke. it is more common in diesel engines and i havn't seen a yaris with direct injection in the United States so someone clearly made a booboo or doesn't know what they are talking about.
mods:15''Drag DR21 w/Nitto NeoGen 205/50R15, Tanabe DF210 lowering springs 1.6/1.8, TRD Rear Sway Bar, Tanabe Front Sway Bar, Micro Image Short Throw Shift Kit (both in and under), 8.64lbs flywheel, F1 Stage 4 Clutch, AEM Cold Air Intake (Red), Megan Racing Header, DC Sports Axle Back Exhaust, Micro Image Crank Pulley, NST lite Alternator Pulley, ARP Manifold Stud Kit,Tanabe Front Strut Tower Brace, ScanGuage II, Micro Image Silicone Radiator Hose Kit (Red), NRG Carbon Fiber Shift Knob (round), 2009-2011 Toyota Yaris Liftback Foglight kit, NRG Grounding Kit (Red), Hella Horns(Red),CF Hood
Golddeenoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:09 PM   #10
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
This is a good reason to steer clear of this car.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:28 AM   #11
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
This is a good reason to steer clear of this car.
Because of what a dealer wrote? Dealers screw up all the time on listings. I'm not asking about what the dealer wrote, I'm asking for opinions based on the actual pictures. I already deduced that Direct Injection and such wasn't the case.

We already know TRD doesn't make a turbo kit for the 1NZ that looks like that, and we already know that no 1NZ is DI or we would've had horror stories about carbon build up after it being in the market since 2003.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 09-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Why not ask about what the dealer wrote. You shouldn't have to "deduce" anything. If they don't know about the car's injection system, they probably don't know very much about ANY of the car.

So, how about some real questions then.

What turbo is it using? Is there any play? How many miles on the turbo?
What management is being used? How and where was the car tuned? Are there dynos? How much power is it making? What boost level is it running? What is the compression in each cylinder? What do the plugs look like?

And so on, and so on.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 09-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
Focus_Sh1ft

Drives: 08 Yaris Turbo; 06 tC Turbo
That Yaris is definitely Brian's (pimp_my_yaris). I'm a mixture of bummed and curious to see why he sold it. Looks like he's only been inactive for a month too...

He had a pretty quality build. IIRC he built the engine, did the pump, injectors, rail and regulator (obviously).

Here's some more reading:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29053

Edit: If you have another car and live in GA, there really is no reason to not buy Garm's Yaris if you've been considering it. 8.5k (or whatever it's at now) plus 1k shipping is beyond a steal for that level of performance. Plus, all the problems you mentioned really aren't that big of a deal (maybe ac, depending on how much needs to be done to make it functional).
Focus_Sh1ft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:25 AM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ Thanks for that plug. I will add that I know have the carpet and most interior pieces for it as well.
Old 09-27-2013, 01:41 AM   #15
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Quote:
Why not ask about what the dealer wrote. You shouldn't have to "deduce" anything. If they don't know about the car's injection system, they probably don't know very much about ANY of the car.

So, how about some real questions then.

What turbo is it using? Is there any play? How many miles on the turbo?
What management is being used? How and where was the car tuned? Are there dynos? How much power is it making? What boost level is it running? What is the compression in each cylinder? What do the plugs look like?

And so on, and so on.
The dealer was all about answering questions until I got into the really gritty stuff. I asked if the car had seen a tune, what kit it was wearing, and if the compression on each cylinder is holding. That was the last email in a string of conversation two days ago and suddenly I've heard nothing since. That's why I came here. I know that there are guys here who know their stuff, and I know that you're one of them, Garm; I just figured there was more to deduce from the pictures than by the words. My mistake if that isn't the case here. I know the pictures don't tell the whole story, I just figured we were assuming the dealer is none the wiser because they think the car has direct injection.

I don't care that the car sits inside the showroom because it is a quality build. The dealer didn't build the car and the showroom didn't build the car, so sitting in the showroom means nothing to me. WHY is it a quality build? That's what I was hoping to find out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post
That Yaris is definitely Brian's (pimp_my_yaris). I'm a mixture of bummed and curious to see why he sold it. Looks like he's only been inactive for a month too...

He had a pretty quality build. IIRC he built the engine, did the pump, injectors, rail and regulator (obviously).

Edit: If you have another car and live in GA, there really is no reason to not buy Garm's Yaris if you've been considering it. 8.5k (or whatever it's at now) plus 1k shipping is beyond a steal for that level of performance. Plus, all the problems you mentioned really aren't that big of a deal (maybe ac, depending on how much needs to be done to make it functional).
Thanks for the link. I'll be thumbing through that. Garm's car is absolutely a quality build. It is a bit like jumping into the deep end for me, because the most powerful car I've owned is a 180 hp Celica. A 357 wheel hp Yaris is like being weened off formula, and immediately handed an M4 to go to war with. , but in the end, far far too hard core for me at this particular point in my life.

Also, I don't have a second car to use while his car would be built to my liking for my daily uses. The fiancee uses her car for a 61 mile round trip commute, and we work largely opposite hours, so it's not like I could be dropped off along the way. Trust me. I've thought LOOOONG and hard about that turbo'd beast.

-C

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:36 AM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Quote:
WHY is it a quality build? That's what I was hoping to find out.
That's not possible from a few pictures. I would never, ever buy that car without the answers to my questions. What warranty is the dealer offering on it?

Quote:
A 357 wheel hp Yaris is like being weened off formula, and immediately handed an M4 to go to war with. , but in the end, far far too hard core for me
It's ~270 @ 14 psi with the rocker switch down (switches between two maps), no water/meth and very easy to drive. That's my street setting.
Old 09-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #17
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Focus_Sh1ft View Post

Brian and I talked on the phone I think back in the beginning of August and he mentioned kicking around the idea of moving on from his LB. I am having a blank on what his reasoning was even though we talked at length about options, etc. AFAIK he was actually talking about buying a Vette to build out as it is something he has wanted to do for a while. I know more of why he let the LB go, but they are personal so I won't dig into them. I can tell you that it had nothing at all to do with the LB itself. He loved it, but was ready to move on....kind of like Garm and his LB.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
It's ~270 @ 14 psi with the rocker switch down (switches between two maps), no water/meth and very easy to drive. That's my street setting.

Not to cause a hijack, but I can attest to Garm's LB at both settings as I rode in it back last December while I was in L.A. for work and having both settings really makes life easier it would seem. Run it at 14psi like a woman wearing jeans and sneakers...switch to 24psi and put on the tight skirt n' heels and go super sexy!

I wish that I could have ridden in Brian's LB too, but unfortunately I didn't make it to Chicago in time. I have always wanted to feel the comparison in several boosted Yarii, but really even though the count is going up it still is nowhere close to "mainstream". A double edged sword indeed.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote