Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-15-2022, 12:14 AM   #1
CrimsonEclipse

Drives: .
Rear Seat removal questions

2011 Yaris hatchback

I have already removed my rear seat previously to hold extra cargo.
(without the rear seat, the Yaris holds an absurd amount of cargo)

During the drive, I realized how much noisier it was at highway speeds, apparently the rear seat dampens outside noise quite a bit.

I would like to remove the rear seat long term and install some sort of insulation or covering to dampen the sound to pre-removal levels AND some sort of cargo management system, possibly nets or barriers.

Is there some sort of kit or available mod to assist this?

Thanks

Edit:
Whoever has the best solution can have the 60/40 rear seats!
(for free)

Last edited by CrimsonEclipse; 05-15-2022 at 12:44 AM.
CrimsonEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
remcafee

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris 3 door
you could install some dynamat back there
remcafee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 12:14 PM   #3
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
just dont buy name brand dynamat, any good rubbery foil back is ideal,

as for me i did a full on shelf replacement for the back seat out of a sheet of aluminum and sandwiched it to a steel frame with jute ..noise levels in the car are identical with a seat vs with the shelf

HOWEVER i am a firm beliver the noise levels in the hatchbacks could be desperatly improved if one was to cover every square inch of floor from just before the carpet ends all the way to the hatch with a foil backed deadner..as most of the interior noise comes from the spare tire area

as far as a kit...NOPE
sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 01:04 PM   #4
Gutling

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
I just within last two weeks finished sound dampening my 07 hatchback. I removed full interior, headliner included, and did a layer of butyl tar and then some ccf on top. It made a huge difference, its more muted inside, doors close nicer, all panels feel nicer (no more ting noise). I did spare tire area and rear hatch, shock towers real well. There is almost no dampening of any kind from the factory, so almost anything will help. I still have rear seat back out, its getting recovered at upholstry shop, and sound is 1000% nicer inside.
Gutling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:00 PM   #5
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutling View Post
I just within last two weeks finished sound dampening my 07 hatchback. I removed full interior, headliner included, and did a layer of butyl tar and then some ccf on top. It made a huge difference, its more muted inside, doors close nicer, all panels feel nicer (no more ting noise). I did spare tire area and rear hatch, shock towers real well. There is almost no dampening of any kind from the factory, so almost anything will help. I still have rear seat back out, its getting recovered at upholstry shop, and sound is 1000% nicer inside.
sounds like you did what i did to a crown vic for a customer, another trick i found was any plastic interior panel that you can cover the back side it will make a massive improvement, most guys do the insides of the doors and basicly everything "steel body" but most of your echo, rattle and noise is resonance in the plastic panels, even the a pillar trim can benifit in a pretty hefty noise reduction/cancle by doing so...its just tricky on some parts with all the webbing...i tend to do that stuff with "scraps" from doing the interior..also the less tar desnse foam foil back stuff out of china saves weight and does neerly as good of job as the tar..but on our lil cars the weight savings is worth any minimal loss one may get by useing the foam over the tar unless your running HUGE subs
Old 05-18-2022, 06:37 PM   #6
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse View Post

I would like to remove the rear seat long term and install some sort of insulation or covering to dampen the sound to pre-removal levels AND some sort of cargo management system, possibly nets or barriers.

Is there some sort of kit or available mod to assist this?

Thanks
I think a good place to start is by getting a hold of the non 60/40 seat. The flat bench style one. I had one for years with the intent of doing something but eventually tossed it out.

What some have done in the past,is to pull the cushion off that bench seat, revealing just the frame. Then you have a frame that you can bolt onto the Yaris, allowing for a foundation on where to start. Others have then used plywood or similar to lay down flat back there, and built up from there.
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2022, 01:52 AM   #7
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjesus View Post
I think a good place to start is by getting a hold of the non 60/40 seat. The flat bench style one. I had one for years with the intent of doing something but eventually tossed it out.

What some have done in the past,is to pull the cushion off that bench seat, revealing just the frame. Then you have a frame that you can bolt onto the Yaris, allowing for a foundation on where to start. Others have then used plywood or similar to lay down flat back there, and built up from there.
110% that seat frame makes for a GREAT platform to work from even if you have welding skills, it gives you 4 of the factory bolt down points to work off of

it should also be noted that both the 2dr and the 5dr use the same frame and seat, or atleast the 07s do, as ive got one from a 2dr 07 and the OE one from our 5dr

your "rear" connection point should be the upright half of the seats rear bolt

bonus of getting a spare seat frame is you can swap from platform to seat in under 5 mins should you need the seating back..it should also be noted that the 3+ inches of height of the flat bench rear swapped for a flat surface actualy nets you something like 3-4 cubic feet of cargo space
Old 05-20-2022, 09:28 PM   #8
CrimsonEclipse

Drives: .
Looks like generic dynamat might be my path.

Was hoping for a kit for ease of install.
CrimsonEclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:18 PM   #9
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonEclipse View Post
Looks like generic dynamat might be my path.

Was hoping for a kit for ease of install.
ive got a bunch of the stuff set aside for a couple of my 50s projects and with as much as were using the yaris, im fixing to do a coating of atleast the floor in the next month, id love to do the roof(heat) and doors but im not sure i want to spend that much time on it right now..or if i have that kind of free time to do the whole thing in one go

side note WASH the surfaces and let them dry before you put anything on them..youll end up with a better job that doesnt "let go"