Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-04-2022, 04:55 PM   #1
sh0rtlife

Drives: 2007 5dr canadian import
lower grill?

so me and my wife noticed the OE lowwer grill and some of the bumper in that section are broke..sure its an easy fix, and in fact one that could be done without painting as its minor

however

with the few ive come across in the wrecker i did an experiment and it lead me to wonder if anyone ever made or makes a replacement lower grill or a grill "set"

cause the OE non rs bumper with the bars cut out looks pretty good, did a quick n dirty cut on one at a wrecker

sh0rtlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 06:03 PM   #2
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Ya, it's been done. Long, long time ago some members went that route.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:07 AM   #3
sh0rtlife

but was there ever a formal grill made for it aside from the stock one?>
Old 08-05-2022, 09:37 AM   #4
nesagwa

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback (US, MT)
I've seen a handful of grille replacements listed:

https://www.carid.com/2007-toyota-ya...er=1&sub-model[ourBodyTypeName][]=Hatchback

I've also seen some chrome / aluminum sets from APS and T-Rex, but I don't really like the way they look.

(link just for the photos, I don't know if this store is any good)

https://www.andysautosport.com/grill...ota_yaris.html
nesagwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 12:10 PM   #5
sh0rtlife

agreed all the chrome stuff looks VERY halfassed and cheep

idealy....a matched set is what im after..i wish the yaris was more plentifull in th yards id cut n paste a few uppers into a custom lower
Old 08-05-2022, 06:10 PM   #6
mitch9521
Gen 3 > Gen 2

Drives: NCP131, F-150
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
agreed all the chrome stuff looks VERY halfassed and cheep

idealy....a matched set is what im after..i wish the yaris was more plentifull in th yards id cut n paste a few uppers into a custom lower
Chrome only looks good on old iron and full size pickups lol

mitch9521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 12:44 PM   #7
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch9521 View Post
Chrome only looks good on old iron and full size pickups lol
EXACTLY...where you have chrome to tie into...honestly i have issues with chrome anywhere there are not chrome bumpers
Old 09-24-2022, 11:56 AM   #8
IndestructibleYaris

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I just superglued mine, i spent 30 minutes on it, just to find out the bumper is cracked in 3 places and my epoxy and bondo didn't stick worth crap, and a brand new bumper on rockauto is 25$ plus shipping, wow. I bet you can buy the grill for ten bucks. It doesn't really protect the condenser all that well sadly. Mine is all caved in but not leaking
IndestructibleYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2022, 03:35 PM   #9
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndestructibleYaris View Post
I just superglued mine, i spent 30 minutes on it, just to find out the bumper is cracked in 3 places and my epoxy and bondo didn't stick worth crap, and a brand new bumper on rockauto is 25$ plus shipping, wow. I bet you can buy the grill for ten bucks. It doesn't really protect the condenser all that well sadly. Mine is all caved in but not leaking
not the same thing, and "if" you want to fix a bumper i can point you in the direction of the right supplys to actualy fix it..PERMINANTLY..

however you can get a pre painted matched bumper off amazon for dirt cheep..and i might add cheeper than you can paint it yourself unless you allready have the paint laying around

as for the lowwer grill im currently looking to see if i can get the OE upper grill 3d printed by a friend of mine with some "tweaks" to take the "curve" out of it..i figure a neer perfect copy of the upper into the lower hole should look like a factory option package
Old 01-02-2023, 08:46 PM   #10
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
well this is 2 months old, but if you have not found a good solution for the lower grill;
a "leaf guard" grill from the local hardware store fits great. they are like $6. they have some kind of durable coating usually. just cut off the tabs and cut to fit. get some SS zip ties from an auto parts store to secure.
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2023, 12:40 PM   #11
sh0rtlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
well this is 2 months old, but if you have not found a good solution for the lower grill;
a "leaf guard" grill from the local hardware store fits great. they are like $6. they have some kind of durable coating usually. just cut off the tabs and cut to fit. get some SS zip ties from an auto parts store to secure.
yeah uh...i dont want the ricer cheepass look, looking for something that looks like it was made to fit

chicken wire gutter sheet and any off the shelf extruded metal is an instant NO in my book on ANY car
Old 01-22-2023, 04:53 PM   #12
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh0rtlife View Post
yeah uh...i dont want the ricer cheepass look, looking for something that looks like it was made to fit

chicken wire gutter sheet and any off the shelf extruded metal is an instant NO in my book on ANY car
well i hate to break it to you, but the factory, "fat X" lower grill look terrible and does not match the upper grill IMO. the gutter guard is machined link that is powder coated. it looks better than most factory grills. you should try to be less of a jerk when you ask for suggestions when your solution was to just cut the factory bumper. "ricer cheap-ass" indeed.
anyways, here is my "cheap-ass" grill. i know you are sorry for being so stubborn and mean. ha!

SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 02:07 PM   #13
sh0rtlife

yes the "fat x" as you call it looks like shit cause it looks like the factory used extruded steel as a mold for it

as a metal fabricator with scraps of that cheep ass perforated shit laying in the scrap bin i stand by what i said..cheap ass ricer shit..all i see if that someone grabbed some perforated steel off the scrap pile and slapped it in......even if you like it thats all i can see

im currently looking into a 3d printed solution of copying the upper grill that will look very factory