Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-20-2009, 03:07 PM   #1
Cutie Pie #2

Drives: 2014 Honda CR-V LX
Cash for clunkers kills nice cars like this!

Just thought I'd share this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SXA1oZnj98
Cutie Pie #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Well the program wasn't there to decide to kill cars that look ugly and keep ones that people like... Because that is all a matter of opinion, Its there for a reason and it's doing just that. So many people are driving new cars because of it. People should stop bashing on obama and the program itself. Ignorance is bliss

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:20 PM   #3
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Bash away! Cash for Clunkers is a stupid idea and it sucks!
It's also about to end.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #4
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
In all the years that Hollywood has been trashing perfectly good cars for a movie, not one peep about the shame of it all. Institute a policy that destroys cars to help the economy and the ecosystem, such an atrocity!!

Give me a break.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:46 PM   #5
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

I've groaned and yelled about Hollywood's car destruction pretty much every time I've seen it. Especially when they do some crash scene with a real classic. But even they have a better justification for it than the $#@%^& CFC program!
Old 08-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #6
bigbang

Drives: Yaris sedan 2009
indeed
Ignorance is bliss
bigbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj5gzvGnGP4

not a land cruiser!!! damn
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:26 PM   #8
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
what about nhtsa and other testing that drive cost up when vehicles get destroyed in the name of safety?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:51 PM   #9
Zefoxe
¦µ¶Œ€♦åËÆ⌐š└╘○Å╝◙þ·▲

Drives: Scion xD
Send a message via AIM to Zefoxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
In all the years that Hollywood has been trashing perfectly good cars for a movie, not one peep about the shame of it all. Institute a policy that destroys cars to help the economy and the ecosystem, such an atrocity!!

Give me a break.
Help what economy? Tax payers are the ones paying for it, even the ones that don't use or plan on having automobiles... If it was giving money just on hybrids then maybe the ecosystem but people can use the program to get mustangs lol don't see how thats helping.

Rebate would have probably been better spent on giving it to mass transit users.

Coming 2010: Toyota iSt CK edition (CooperKiller) stay tuned
Zefoxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:08 AM   #10
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Personally, I think scraping ANY car is sad, but maybe I'm old school, I DNK

I had the opportunity to scrape my old Honda for $650 (I got a letter from some governmental agency telling me that cars that age (she was 22 y old, almost 23) need to leave the road and make room for more efficient cars, blah, blah, so unless it's a classic car, would I please consider ... blah blah) but I traded her in instead for less money because I was hoping that she might be recycled and perhaps sold to some kid for a couple hundred dollars somewhere. She was running, just needed a little mechanical help and more TLC than I could give her. The thought of that poor car being compressed into a cube at some junkyard just didn't seat well with me.

Here is something that'll make you all feel better if you think old cars deserve some respect : the story of Suzie the little blue coupe (10 minutes but so cute, I think it's worth it, probably was written by a car lover) .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pxap-M_--k

I can't comment on the cash for clunker program, though, I have mixed feelings about it and I'm trying real hard to keep my political views out of this forum
Old 08-21-2009, 01:40 AM   #11
kac

Drives: 2009 Meteorite 3dr
The commentary on that first video is pretty funny.
kac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:49 AM   #12
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
Quote:
the destruction of this cars IS obama's fault. this is not an effective way to deal with a recession and environmentally its wrong. someone that isn't terribly rich would have greatly enjoyed that BMW. that's part of being an American, the ability to drive a car that was expensive when it was new for relatively cheap. someone that is lower middle class might want to have a BMW, they should be able to buy one if that's their dream. this is not right.
Always blaming shit on Obama. And He says it like Noone can ever find that BMW again on the internet for sale!!! SUCH A TRAGEDY NOBODY CAN OWN A BMW IF THEY ARE LOWER MIDDLE CLASS NOW NOOOOOOO! Lmao, people are being ignorant again.

Quote:
What is the voucher 4500, that car is worth more then 4500, no ?
120k miles, I wouldve given him 5 grand
people say they would have given 5 grand... Then again people on yarisworld SAY they would pay 4grand for a working turbo kit, AND ITS AVAILABLE yet there is still hesitancy to buy it... hmmmmmm

Quote:
obama s legacy.... dont forget about this crap when re-election comes around...
So you would rather vote for the other president because THIS ONE IS NO GOOD, cause he junks old cars!!! WHO CARES about the other important reasons to elect a president!

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:38 AM   #13
advocate

Drives: car
Regardless of your political views, the fact remains that people who don't make enough money and have to rely on buying old used cars with high mileage that have been maintained well for a means of transportation are really screwed by the program.

And it hurts emotionally to see beautiful cars go into the trash can, which is the source of all these videos mourning nice older cars.

Don't forgot Enth that men are always rather sympathetic towards their mechanical toys, that's why we refer to them as women to help us justify our feelings of attachment.
advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 04:49 AM   #14
JustAnotherAsian
now in HD

Drives: not yaris!
Send a message via AIM to JustAnotherAsian
damn. that would've been a nice swap for an e30. rare I6 in the states.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:56 AM   #15
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
While I cannot argue with any of you regarding the trashing/crushing of nicer older cars, the program has helped some in a lot of ways. My boyfriend and his mom had twin Jeeps (95 Grand Chereokees). Hers, while it had less miles than his (I think around 1200k), the tranny was slipping on hers. The car was only worth maybe $1000, and to replace the tranny woulda been $2000 on the low end of the scale. ($1000 normal worth as trade-in < $4500 trade-in through program)

So in their case, they were able to trade in a car that was not worth fixing, and get a new car that has an EPA rating of approximately 20mpg more than what they were getting with the Jeep (Jeep = 15; Jetta Sportwagen TDI = 35).

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #16
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Smile

I'm not attacking Obama, Enth. I rather like the guy. I'm just attacking the wasteful stupidity of destroying good functional used cars. And paying for it with my tax money. In addition to hurting me in that manner, it hurts those who can't afford shiny new American cars, even with a government trade-in rebate, independent used car dealers whose staples of trade are the "clunkers," auto recyclers and rebuilders who only get scrap metal value for these since the engines must be destroyed and the cars must be shredded or crushed. I'm sure I've left some other classes of "losers" out. Oh yeah, new car dealers who haven't received their payments and may never, for one.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:53 AM   #17
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
No love for my video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pxap-M_--k
Old 08-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #18
47_MasoN_47
What I thought I'd do was

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I used the cash for clunkers program, but the way I see it I didn't really save any money. I paid that $4500 5 times over in the few years I've been working, and most of the tax money has gone to wasteful stupid programs and salaries for career politicians who care about nothing but votes. I don't like Obama one bit (I don't agree with any of his policies), and I didn't like Bush much either (dirty patriot act, liberty stealing bastage). Personally, all politicians suck, though some suck more than others.

I also gripe about Hollywood destroying good cars. In Batman when the Lambo got wrecked, that was enough to actually make me cry. I hate seeing vehicles destroyed anyway, and it was very hard for me to walk away from the dealership and leave my poor little Ranger (even though it caught on fire when I used it and all sorts of things) behind to be killed. After 6 years I grew attached to that little truck and have like 23940392043 pictures of it saved.

RIP little buddy...
47_MasoN_47 is offline   Reply With Quote