Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Jerkratt

Drives: 08 Yaris Liftback S (RIP 07)
Send a message via AIM to Jerkratt
NGK spark plug part number??

im trying to get the NGK irdiums tip 7's the ones that are one step cooler then our stock plugs but cant find a part number for them... can anyone help?
Old 10-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
BKR7EIX
Old 10-10-2011, 09:29 PM   #3
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
My OEM's were heat range 5 so I'm now running BKR6EIX but an considering trying 7's as I'm still getting occasional, faint knocking on 94. Knocked like crazy on 91.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #4
Jerkratt

Yea I went to pep boys and got the bkr6eix... Maybe I should return them n get the 7? Also whats the spark plug gap?
Old 10-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkratt View Post
Yea I went to pep boys and got the bkr6eix... Maybe I should return them n get the 7? Also whats the spark plug gap?
I am running the 7's with stock injectors and usually run 93 octane. I ran the OEM 5's for a few days after my install. AFRs were the same with both, but I think you'd actually need to measure exhaust temp to see the difference. I think that most run the 6's. I got two sets of 7's with my SC, so I have just been using them. As for gap, Iridiums are gapped by the manufacturer and should not be adjusted as it will damage the plating.
Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #6
MUSKOKA800

My iridiums came gapped around .44 and I still had some knocking. Later I read that Greddy recommends .33 for the S/C application so I changed mine to .33 and get much less knock now with no apparent downside. Coupled with Ultra 94 fuel it sounds nearly perfect. I still need to have a bung installed for the A/F guage. Then I'll have a better picture.
FYI: the -11 on the end of some iridium plug numbers denotes OE specific pre-gapping at .44 thou. Not all iridiums part numbers have this suffix and local performance shops had no idea of it's meaning so I contacted NGK customer support by phone to get the lowdown.

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
camelll

Drives: 07 sedan
I set the gap on those plugs to .041" using shims. Following NGK's recommendations on their site. Here is NGK Q&A on plugs, its some good info. If setting the gap on iridium plugs you just need to be careful and only bend the ground electrode.

The stock gap in the manual is .044" and this is the size I ordered in the 7 heat range, I just figured around 30 hp increase so I reduced the gap by .0025 to .003" to .041".
camelll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
camelll

Drives: 07 sedan
Muskoka here is a pdf that lets you know what the last number is in reference to. Here
camelll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #9
MUSKOKA800

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
Muskoka here is a pdf that lets you know what the last number is in reference to. Here
Thx Camelll !
I had no luck finding that on the NGK website although I knew it must exist.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #10
maxthehax

Drives: Echo HB Turbo 6Speed
Thats a nice topic because till I am boosted I use those NGK BKR7EIX with my turbo setup. But I never paid attention to gaping... I tough it was alright to just get ''BKR7EIX'' I have spare set at home and gonna try to mesure them. I have a CEL coming everytime and stay there, I think its a missfire, not completly sure tho, because I have not experienced any problem that I could feel, throttle is alright on load...
maxthehax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #11
MUSKOKA800

I've just changed to BKR7EIX from 6EIX and have completely eliminated the pre-ignition brought on by the Blitz S/C at low rpm full throttle.
I also get a CEL occasionally which when scanned shows cylinder 2 misfire.
I have switched the cylinder 2 and 3 coil packs and changed to the 7 range plugs and the misfire persists.

CTScott, can you advise which other cylinder specific components could be checked as a source of this cylinder 2 misfire?

Old 02-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
Jerkratt

I've gotten 2 Miss fire codes since the supercharger and the NGK 6's install.. both times full throttle once at low rpm and once maybe mid rpm (highway on ramp) my scan gauge didn't find the code the first time I had to use torque (android app) and a Bluetooth OBD port connector and cleared it via phone. Both times my CEL flashed for a few... I just ordered NGK 7's so that might fix the problem for me
Old 03-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #13
MUSKOKA800

Will be installing 1ZZ injectors this weekend if the weather holds. Got the same cylinder 2 misfire code recently during full throttle pull onto highway. Put some Kleen-Flo Injector Cleaner through it this week and that seems to have helped, pulling much harder it seems. I look forward to try these larger injectors.

Old 03-02-2012, 09:20 PM   #14
Jerkratt

Do you have part numbers for the injectors? Cause apparently there are different ones...
Old 03-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
MUSKOKA800

Need a magnifying glass to read: Denso # 23250-22040.
I took them to the dealer to get new insulators and o-rings. The parts guy said they were most likely from a Corolla but he couldn't determine what year or engine.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #16
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
Need a magnifying glass to read: Denso # 23250-22040.
I took them to the dealer to get new insulators and o-rings. The parts guy said they were most likely from a Corolla but he couldn't determine what year or engine.
That part number could be from and 04-07 Corolla (1.8L), 05+ RAV4 (1.8L), or 99-05 MR2 (1.8L).
Old 03-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
MUSKOKA800

Still throwing the cylinder 2 misfire code after installing the 1ZZ injectors although the first code throw after install was "system too rich" which has not re-appeared since. It does seem rich initially after a cold start-up but not so after a 15 seconds of warm-up.

I'm starting to lean in the direction of a Blitz wiring problem. Never saw any codes before the install but get the cylinder 2 misfire code almost every full throttle pull since getting boosted. May have to strip the harness clean and look for a bad connection. A spring project I suppose.